• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Zip Ties?

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Amada is a very pretty girl! (I swear I am envious of even Girl BIRD Moms! I have BOY children ans BOY birds. Nothing better than having ANYONE at work having a Girl BABY! Auntie RO Always gets Birthday invites because I go crazy buying Girl Clothes!) Yeah, the Zip Tie thing is cool too! :hehe: But What KIND?
It's been a year but I honestly didn't think her head feathers would grow back in...she looks much better than when they first got here. I LOVE my girls.

amada.jpg

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
these are the nippers better then any scissors. Notch cuts longer edge, tippy top trims short no little sharp edges.
IMG_0002.JPG
great little tool for zip ties.....

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I love zip ties as well! I use them to reinforce a transport cage so it's extra sturdy. In the past, I even used them to secure branches to a cage top.
I wouldn't use them in an application where they aren't pulled tight and trimmed off closely, though. A lose cable tie with an end that can be pulled on to tighten it is asking for trouble.
I use the plastic ones and couldn't imagine them being sharp enough to cause injury - a little scratchy maybe. Perhaps the bird that cut itself did so on a metal zip tie. If you use a metal one, just use common sense and check if the end is sharp and file or sand it down if it is. The plastic ones are fine for smaller birds; if my GCC ever got it into her head that she wanted to remove one, I'm quite sure she could chew through it, but it would take her a long time.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Zip ties are worthless if you own a cockatoo. They can snap them off quicker than you can put them on.

Having said that. There are different grades and strengths of zip ties. An electrical supply usually has a good choice. Some are made of neoprene. Some have a heavier duty clip. Some have an eyelet already attached. There's quite a variety if you look in the right place.