• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Why do so many people use pesticides!? AKA: Failed DIY - A rant

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I'm posting this hear because if I don't, I'm going to throw a fit of rage at my family, and I don't want to do that, because I've been living under their roof as a temporary arrangement (though I do pay rent) and although I will be moving out soon, I do respect them and I need to continue being on their good side. So I am NOT going to leave an angry voicemail... I'm just going to vent here because I feel that you all will understand my frustration!!!

A few weeks ago I'd gone for a walk in the woods and found some BEAUTIFUL beech branches that looked as though they had recently fallen from a tree. They were large, tall enough to make a beautiful play tree. The branches were the perfect shape, perfect thickness, everything. I'd attempted to make a play tree for my birds in the past and failed horribly, but seeing these branches inspired me to try again! So I spent at least two, maybe two and a half hours going back and forth gathering these branches. Even drove the (short) distance home to get so I could get the exact part of the branch I wanted (and fit it in my car). I felt so accomplished. I was so excited to make this nice lovely thing for my birds.

I had them sitting on a table on the back deck under an alcove so they wouldn't get rained on but could still catch some afternoon rays and dry.

Today the freaking mosquito pesticide crew came and sprayed the whole yard with anti-mosquito pesticides... My beautiful branches are RUINED. There is no way I would consider risking the life of my birds with branches that were in any sort of proximity to pesticides. I am SO angry and disappointed! At the same time though, thank God I noticed - the only clue was a little advertising flier on our door - because that would have been a DISASTER if I gave this pesticide contaminated branches to my birds. Or worse, what if the windows had been open? I'm so grateful my flock is safe, but I hate to think that they were so close to such a risk...
I'm so mad that my family didn't think to tell me the pesticide people were going to be here today. I could have moved the branches to my room for the day or something. But now they are ruined. I can't even return them to the woods where I found them because of these pesticides!
I'm so, so close to signing the lease for my own place again. I need to get my flock out of here!

Even though I've been trying to save money for essentials in the new apartment, at this point, I'm considering paying the $300 or so dollars for a freaking Java tree.

Thank you for listening, all. I'm glad I got that out of my system.

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
It's just so disappointing when you made all that effort for nothing. I have a hibiscus tree that I use for the birds, no pestasides close to there, I give birds cuttings and branches from it.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
It's just so disappointing when you made all that effort for nothing. I have a hibiscus tree that I use for the birds, no pestasides close to there, I give birds cuttings and branches from it.
Ahhh. That's the dream! Some day!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I am very sorry that they didn't think far enough ahead to include you and your beautiful birds in their decision. if you decide to try a redo of bird tree I would wait until you have your own place.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I am very sorry that they didn't think far enough ahead to include you and your beautiful birds in their decision. if you decide to try a redo of bird tree I would wait until you have your own place.
Yeah, that's what I am thinking too...

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I live in an area where the city doesn't give advance notice of spraying for mosquitoes. I try to keep the windows closed unless I'm home for that very reason.

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
i think us birdy parents are very clued up of the dangers to our feathered friends. your parents probably dont understand the dangers these chemicals can cause. i keep telling my son not to spray ANYTHING! near the birds, if he wants to use antipersperents etc doors must be closed. really glad you realised what had happened and sorry your feeling cross and your branches are ruined

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
People think a toxic home is a clean home. The stuff other people use gives me migraines. Chances are, you will never win the argument either. Mosquito spraying drives me nuts - fortunately, I don't live around that anymore.

OP, SAVE YOUR MONEY! Keep your goal of getting out of there at the forefront. It will save your sanity, your birds, and your relationship with your family. You can always get some more branches on another walk.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
People think a toxic home is a clean home. The stuff other people use gives me migraines. Chances are, you will never win the argument either. Mosquito spraying drives me nuts - fortunately, I don't live around that anymore.

OP, SAVE YOUR MONEY! Keep your goal of getting out of there at the forefront. It will save your sanity, your birds, and your relationship with your family. You can always get some more branches on another walk.
My flock, fiance and I have been living in our own (pet and bird friendly) apartment for a month now, and it has been so great! The birds have more space, and we have more control over the environment. I've been making my own cleaning products (vinegar plus water for disinfectant, Castile soap plus water for scrubbing, baking soda for deep cleans, water with either grapefruit seed extract or f10 when cage cleaning for the birds). I've never used hair sprays or anything like that. We bought all of our own cookware, which either stainless steel or cast iron (I may get a ceramic non stick pan, which would still be teflon free). All of our bakeware is teflon free too.

It has been a relief living in our own place. I'm not feeling on edge or tense worrying about the bird's safety. I am actually saving up for a Java tree (as well as some other birdie project) for my tiels. :D

Porter

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Maggie
PVC pipe for a cheapish playstand for the moment.
And vet wrap... and smaller branches until you can afford the Java tree.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
PVC pipe for a cheapish playstand for the moment.
And vet wrap... and smaller branches until you can afford the Java tree.
I appreciate the suggestion. However, there are several bird fairs coming up in my area, and so I hope to buy a good java tree soon! :)

alexmait

Meeting neighbors
When I researched ceramic pans, I found that some ceramic pans are coated with nonstick PTFE (perfluorotetraethylene) which is the same as Teflon and likely not healthy for birds, and then there are some true ceramic pans that are not nonstick coated.