• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pet Store African Grey

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
I would give him a week to let him settle down a little bit and then make an appointment with a avian vet for him.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
He's beautiful.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Congratulations on your bird. You won

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
Update on our first morning together,

He is happy, eating and actually was regurgitating for me...I did not expect that. I only ever do head scratches, never touch anywhere other than the head area and wasn't even making contact with him at the time. I was just sitting on a chair beside him while he was hanging out on his cage and the regurgitation happened.

He is beak clicking, making fun sounds and seems very happy overall based on his demeanour and the body language.

I just hope that he is truly happy for a long long time to come.

Chopper

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
Awww - that is awesome. Those are usually all good signs.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Sounds like he is doing awesome.

cnyguy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Gary
Welcome to your new, yet-unnamed Grey friend. Sounds like he's settling in well already. :) My adopted CAG Scooter has been a chronic feather-chewer for years; she doesn't pluck out feathers, but chews off the ends of them. She does so less now than when she first came to live here. I typically find feather debris in her food and water dishes and the bottom of the cage-- more than there would be from normal molting, and seldom are there whole discarded feathers (except when they are normally molted). Some experts recommend going directly from the pet store to the avian vet, but more typically, it's recommended that a newly-acquired parrot get a well-bird checkup within the first two weeks.
All the best to you and your new Grey!

EllaMay

Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
He is soooooo pretty! :heart:

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
Welcome to your new, yet-unnamed Grey friend. Sounds like he's settling in well already. :) My adopted CAG Scooter has been a chronic feather-chewer for years; she doesn't pluck out feathers, but chews off the ends of them. She does so less now than when she first came to live here. I typically find feather debris in her food and water dishes and the bottom of the cage-- more than there would be from normal molting, and seldom are there whole discarded feathers (except when they are normally molted). Some experts recommend going directly from the pet store to the avian vet, but more typically, it's recommended that a newly-acquired parrot get a well-bird checkup within the first two weeks.
All the bt to you and your new Grey!
Thank you!

We decided to name him Zazu.

I do have a serious question though regarding his breathing. It sounds like at times he has a miniature cough/sneeze. Its almost like a very very quiet version of a human cough and at times you can hear him breath. I know that breathing issues can be of a major concern and I am going to take him to an Avian Vet tomorrow but can the Greys breathing be heard at times? Can they get "colds"

I am going to lose sleep over this, I really need to get the full checkup ASAP.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
WUNDERBAR!!! And what an amazing pics :)

Given your feelings about the cough and so, i would visit the pet sooner then later!
Maybe its nothing, but it brings peace to your mind, and a bird can go from happy to dead in hours :(

You could call the vet ahead, but be sure to contact an avian vet! Not all vets are specialized in birds, and they are in a leagure of their own :) your bird will thank you for caring if hes indeed sick and you took him to the vet early enough :)

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm glad you found each other! Congratulations Zazu on your new human! :D

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thank you!

We decided to name him Zazu.

I do have a serious question though regarding his breathing. It sounds like at times he has a miniature cough/sneeze. Its almost like a very very quiet version of a human cough and at times you can hear him breath. I know that breathing issues can be of a major concern and I am going to take him to an Avian Vet tomorrow but can the Greys breathing be heard at times? Can they get "colds"

I am going to lose sleep over this, I really need to get the full checkup ASAP.
They can get upper respiratory infections but they are also incredible mimics. I would make an appointment with a vet that sees a lot of parrots and is comfortable with them. But also realize that they can and will pick up on just about anything. My TAG, Tuchis, makes these sniffling sounds that I'm sure I do when I'm sick and my nose is stuffed up. He takes great pleasure in mimicking them over and over and over again. He also has a weird "clearing of the throat" one that I know he picked up when I had pneumonia serveral years ago. They can be pretty amazing in the department of mimicking the weirdest sounds!:)

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Jen is right about how good Greys can mimic coughs, sneezes, sniffles and many other bodily sounds:burp1::gas1:.I have been sick with bronchitis and instead of My Grizzlebird greeting me with his normal-"HELLO" he greets me with "HEDDO" It is still a good idea to have a qualified Avain vet rule out anything medical :hug8::hug8::hug8:

Kiwi and Mitch

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mitch
Well I appreciate everyones input!

I took him to the vet and he for sure has something respiratory going on. It may be a simple issue or something far worse. It is too early to tell but I had all possible tests done to get to the bottom of it. He was actually wheezing today. Anyway I am hoping for the best. He is fairly active, eating and climbing about even after the vet so thats a great sign!

Thank you again to everyone and I will keep the thread updated with the outcome of the tests. Also I suppose when in doubt the best thing to do is go to an Avian vet to have the appropriate tests done.