• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Meet Calla!

Sylvi_

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Time to formally introduce the new member of the family! This is Calla, our Syrian hamster.
She was born on March 9th so is about 6-7 weeks old. She's from an accidental litter.
She's a sable banded coloration and is just such a small, cute little thing! :heart:
IMG_8733.JPG She's quite a timid little lady right now, her old family handled her a bit against her will, so we're working on trust. She seems a bit baffled as to why I'm not just scooping her up but she's already taken a couple pumpkin seeds (her favorite!) from me so I'm sure she'll learn to trust me soon. :)
And she's loving all the space she has! Her old "cage" wasn't fit for any animal sadly but she loves the 55 gallon tank she's in right now.

Pics on the ride home! IMG_8705.JPG And one of her being a goofy little ham :D IMG_8706.JPG and a couple from tonight when she posed for me. :xflove: IMG_8993.JPG IMG_9002.JPG I'm already in love with her and can't wait for all the happy memories I'm sure to make with her. :xflove:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
She is very pretty!

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Awe, so cute! I am surprised by how much I ended up liking hamsters. My Syrian hamster would chew more on wood toys than I've seen my Chinese hamster do. My Chinese hamster is a bit more timid but he's actually able to be handled, my Syrian was not tame but would go into travel carriers easily and would free roam the room regularly. I've wanted that cheese hide for a bit but I can't find it in my stores. I'll have to check Amazon I guess.

Best wishes to Calla!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
Awe, so cute! I am surprised by how much I ended up liking hamsters. My Syrian hamster would chew more on wood toys than I've seen my Chinese hamster do. My Chinese hamster is a bit more timid but he's actually able to be handled, my Syrian was not tame but would go into travel carriers easily and would free roam the room regularly. I've wanted that cheese hide for a bit but I can't find it in my stores. I'll have to check Amazon I guess.

Best wishes to Calla!
Thank you! I was surprised how quickly I fell for the little hamsters as well. They are such charming little animals. :xflove:

I got that hide from Amazon. It's the perfect size for a smaller Syrian or any of the smaller species of hamster. Calla loves it. :)
Link:
Amazon.com: Sleep 'n' Play Cheese - Hamster & Small Animal Toy: Pet Supplies

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Very cute :)

Sarahmoluccan

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
:congratualtions: She's so cute :heart:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
You convinced me by the way, Zombie runs through it every night to get to his wheel from his peanut hide. I find he's a lot more comfortable having a lot of furniture (lol) in his cage. I think it's a Chinese hamster thing.

Also, how do you find the smell when keeping female Syrians? Any major differences than males?

Rolanda

So CUTE!!!!!! I have to ask... That is not Wall Paper in that Hamster's cage is it? If not it looks like it and it is AWESOME!!! She needs a couch!

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
So CUTE!!!!!! I have to ask... That is not Wall Paper in that Hamster's cage is it? If not it looks like it and it is AWESOME!!! She needs a couch!
I'm going to guess it's really cute wrapping paper, I used to decorate by holiday and change mine but I got tired of changing the background all the time so I use butcher paper on the back of mine. I tape mine on the back of the aquarium out of reach.
:)

Rolanda

I'm going to guess it's really cute wrapping paper, I used to decorate by holiday and change mine but I got tired of changing the background all the time so I use butcher paper on the back of mine. I tape mine on the back of the aquarium out of reach.
:)

Looks like Hamster Wallpaper... COOL!!!:yes4:

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
You convinced me by the way, Zombie runs through it every night to get to his wheel from his peanut hide. I find he's a lot more comfortable having a lot of furniture (lol) in his cage. I think it's a Chinese hamster thing.

Also, how do you find the smell when keeping female Syrians? Any major differences than males?
Awh! He's such a handsome little man. Glad he likes his new house! Calla adores hers.:heart:

I haven't ever owned any hamster besides female Syrians actually! So I can't give much help with that.
But I've never noticed much scent with Kirika or now Calla.
I spot clean pretty regularly and they both had decided peeing on their wheel is best so pretty low-matience with bedding. Calla has been using a sand bath as well, she's quite the fussy little drama queen! Fur has to be tip-top shape. :lol:
Thank you! Haha, yes, it is wrapping paper! I simply had to get some floral patterns for the little lady. :D
As Amanda said, I tape mine behind the glass too so she can't reach it. :)