• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bald Spot

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
Hello,
Since me and my wife love having pet bird and i personally love to raise baby birds, we added a new bird to our family :)
this baby is an Albino Cockatiel and he is about 3.5 weeks (most)
He has a bald spot behind his head, i searched internet and found out it is NOT RARE that a lutino mutation has bald spot!
but my concern is that will this bald spot grow feathers?! if yes when??

And can u guys please help me name the baby? we have not pick a name yet thank you

Attachments

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Snowball

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
Another thing that i forgot to mention is that, he/she sometimes CRY for no reason, his crop is not empty and his is not being disturbed!
the crying sound makes our Green Cheeked Conure named Koochool anxious and he tries to help the Albino baby :|
Is that normal?!

When my wife pets the baby he stops crying and starts to enjoy being pet!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
While bald spots are common, that looks a little excessive. He looks like he could have been plucked by his parents, and his feathers should grow back.

It sounds like he could be making his crying noise even though he's already eaten because he wants comfort.

As far as names, how about Blizzard, Coconut, Ivory, Marshmallow, or Que Ball?:hehe:

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
Oh, i hope those grow...
The most funny thing about his crying noise is that koochool(gcc) starts to act funny
Anyways still need names, since our native language is not english and i translate every name so that one fits in our language with a good pronounciation

barry collins

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Barry
While bald spots are common, that looks a little excessive. He looks like he could have been plucked by his parents, and his feathers should grow back.

It sounds like he could be making his crying noise even though he's already eaten because he wants comfort.

As far as names, how about Blizzard, Coconut, Ivory, Marshmallow, or Que Ball?:hehe:
I agree totaly.. This is exactly how my babies looked after parent plucking. They will grow back for sure. The crying is probably loneliness if he came from having nest pals to being on his own at 3 weeks. I would smother him with affection and have someone around him all the time while he is awake. Beautiful baby. Ps I don't think you technically call a white cockatiel an albino as it is probably a whiteface lutino.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Beautiful baby.

Names:
Lacy or Lacey
Chione [Greek goddess, daughter of Boreas(the north wind), goddess of snow]

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
He is white, red eyes, pink feet
And his parents are the same
He is not in a cage he is in a box btw
How can someone be around him?

barry collins

Real Name
Barry
Yeah all white and pink eyes is due to a lack of melalin and a lack of lipochrome that produce grey and yellow respectively, because they don't carry a blue making gene they technically can't be albino but hey nobody really cares you can call them what you like.
I would have the box he is in near people when he is awake as you said he is comforted by contact or even a basket? He will be learning to fly in about a week or so and it's much easier to keep him out of danger if he's used to people handling him and being around him.
You can tell he's been plucked because all the feather follicles are showing pins that are going to regrow except right on the top.

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
Here is a video of today, i got him out of box, he is crying nonstop and runs towards me or our GCC (koochool)
he is fed but i dunno why he cries!
and do you think he is ready for cage? instead of box?

You guys think they are friendly?

barry collins

Real Name
Barry
That is perfectly normal baby noise. Mine did that when hungry and anybody was around including the parents.
Your conure is mimicking feeding and looking concerned about the baby it is good sign they will get along.
How much food are you feeding in one sitting? 10 to 15 percent of the bodyweight is normal 3 to 4 times a day at that age? Does it feed well and what are you feeding it? Do you feed with a syringe or a spoon?
It was definitely looking to you for food or comfort. If it was scared it would sit low and rock side to side hissing.
Also have you thought about a small fury toy as a box companion for comfort? It still needs a box to feel warm and safe until it starts to fledge and then I put a small box inside a cage with a solid not wire floor so they could get in and out as they like and stretch their wings to build muscles. Keep us informed about how things are going.

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
she is adorable...btw it is probably a she, because most whiteface lutinos are female.

Farzad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Farzad
That is perfectly normal baby noise. Mine did that when hungry and anybody was around including the parents.
Your conure is mimicking feeding and looking concerned about the baby it is good sign they will get along.
How much food are you feeding in one sitting? 10 to 15 percent of the bodyweight is normal 3 to 4 times a day at that age? Does it feed well and what are you feeding it? Do you feed with a syringe or a spoon?
It was definitely looking to you for food or comfort. If it was scared it would sit low and rock side to side hissing.
Also have you thought about a small fury toy as a box companion for comfort? It still needs a box to feel warm and safe until it starts to fledge and then I put a small box inside a cage with a solid not wire floor so they could get in and out as they like and stretch their wings to build muscles. Keep us informed about how things are going.
I am using a syringe for feeding, and i am using ZUPREEM bird formula for her, i dunno exactly how much i am feeding her but 4 times a day and each time 10-12CC of formula (lasts about 4-5 hours till she is hungry again)
her poops are normal and she does not vomit
so are those ok?

She is trying to fly, koochool flew and after that Baby tried to fly too :) is that a sign i should put her in cage? she is 30 days old now

Also my conure is 8 months old, he is not a baby :D and it is a MALE GCC

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Your baby is cute. I think he/she sounds hungry maybe try giving just a little more food or pick him/her up and snuggle him/her.

Does the baby stop taking food or do you just stop at 10-12cc. If you just stop I would give a little more.