• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What do you use as a floor liner?

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
I purchased some gravel floor liners for the boy's cage. Works much better than newspaper. But, I clean the bottom of their cage every couple of days. At least $5 every two days, and our pet store only had two packages.

Is there somewhere I can get gravel floor lining for cheaper?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Gravel paper is unnecessary. Many use newspaper. I use precut craft/packing paper.

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I use paper towels. I bought a roll of craft paper but it scared my little guy so I gave it to someone else. Paper towels are easy and pretty neat looking.

ashbirdlady

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Christa
I use the precut packing paper or paper towels. Depends on what bird cage I am cleaning
:)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Packing paper from uhaul

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I use newspaper with a grate of it.

Patty Girl

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Pat , Trisha, Patty Girl
Hi Michelle, I've used Scott tissue paper towels ever since I got my boys home this Christmas. The best ones are the ones you can tear off in smaller sections because they fit the cages better. I change the boys cage 2 or 3 times a day and it doesn't cost me alot either. Have a good day :)

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
That recycled paper animal bedding (under the grate). Absorbs the moisture and kind of hides the poo a bit. I clean 2x per week.

Tim

Avenue Veteran
The downside of the recycled paper is that it makes it nearly impossible to see what your birdie's poo looks like, and that is usually your only indication of a sick bird.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I use butcher paper

Ocean

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Aqua
I use puppy training pads xD it absorbs a lot of the mess (water... poop... food xD) I have a grate at the bottom of the cage. I found news papers too messy imo xD

Mek0060

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Michelle
I use puppy training pads xD it absorbs a lot of the mess (water... poop... food xD) I have a grate at the bottom of the cage. I found news papers too messy imo xD
I've tried computer paper, newspaper...too messy for me too. I think Linnies might be harder to keep things clean because they have diarrhea like poo, even when healthy.

The gravel paper is expensive but it absorbs everything. And the boys have started a game since I started using it, of allowing themselves to drop down and climb back up.
I'm not trying to say I got the brightest of the bunch but these two are stuck with this family. :)

Last edited: