• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Lets grow!

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
Im in the gardening mood! I'd like to know if theres any ~completely~ safe trees that i could grow for my parrots to play on, Like chewing on the branches & leaves & stuff? does that sort of magical tree exist?
Edit: I forgot to mention that i was thinking about fruit trees where the birds could just ya know... munch on some fruits (hence why i put it in the feathered food court)

Nami

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicola
I personally use hibiscus :) I have 2 beautiful trees in my backyard which I keep pesticide free and the flowers/leaves are safe as well (they are also very nutritious but chances are they'll just shred it to pieces). The only variety of plant from the hibiscus family that is unsafe for birds is the cottonwood hibiscus. A lot of fruit trees (mainly stone fruits) contain cyanide in the wood and leaves.

I find this list to be the most extensive because it lists which plants are safe/unsafe with reasoning and added info: Wood / Trees / Bushes Considered Safe for Birds

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
I personally use hibiscus :) I have 2 beautiful trees in my backyard which I keep pesticide free and the flowers/leaves are safe as well (they are also very nutritious but chances are they'll just shred it to pieces).
I do exactly the same, hibiscus is my go to plant. Must be an Aussie thing!

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I keep hibiscus in the house. You can feed the flowers to so many things..parrots, iguanas, tortoises..

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I love hibiscus; totally my favorite flower. Makes me happy that it's a safe option, too.