• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Mother not feeding baby canaries?

Adam21

Strolling the yard
Hey there folks, this is my first time with canary babies. I originally had a male canary, who would sing loudly all day long. I love him very much, and would do my best to make him happy and be around people. He did seem to start getting sad a bit, and I knew he needed another canary with them. So what better than a female! Ever since, he seems at peace, still sings a little. Well, now he has babies!

Two have hatched last night, one this morning, with an remaining egg yet to hatch. The mother is still sitting on the nest and doesn't seem to be feeding them. I put half an boiled egg and a cucumber chunk in there, to see if they would feed them that. The male is feeding the female still, and I'm sure he'd feed the chicks if she would move. The chicks seem to be pretty weak and rarely lifting their heads for food.

I have tried feeding one of them with a eye dropper, it doesn't work well like a syringe. So I may need to hit a store soon for a decent sized syringe to feed them Kaytee bird formula. My question is, is this behavior normal? Will she start feeding them after the last egg hatches? Or do I have to intervene?

Also, all they have is the normal daily canary diet(seeds). And I throw in boiled egg in there too. While I make the bird formula and try feeding them but she doesn't seem to want to move out the nest.

Now I just took a peek, she appears to be feeding them or itching herself, I can't get close since she gets a bit nervous. Is the normal canary diet sufficient enough and will they feed themselves or should I intervene at all?

Thanks a lot, sorry for the essay, but this is my first time and I would greatly appreciate any help! :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
Well, I´ve only had experience with parakeets(keep that in mind), but i´ll help where I can. If she apears to be feeding them that is a good sign, and occasionally the male bird will go in the nest to help feed the babies. As for the self feeding them thing I can´t really offer much advice, but as long as the mother is in there and not ignoring them, they should be fine for a good while. Sorry I couldn really give much advice here but I just wanted to try to help. Sorry if this was a waste of your time.

Adam21

Strolling the yard
Thank you both very much! She appears to be feeding them intervals, she doesn't leave the nest when she is feeding them. He is helping her out a lot too. I think all should be fine. I tried hand feeding with an eye dropper, it was difficult as a syringe is more applicable as well nest location making it difficult. Couldn't find a syringe at Walmart today. I think I will just focus on providing certain foods that the parents will feed them that are suitable. I've heard that boiled eggs, greens, and some form of worms are perfect. If anyone knows about that, please inform me. :)

Thanks for the support, all seems to be going well. They are alive, she is keeping them warm.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
all newborn babies retain the yolk within their tiny bodies and until they have used up that yolk (about 24 hours) mama doesn't feed them. so within in the next day you will have to watch and make sure mama and papa are feeding the chicks. what do you have in the cage for the parents to feed the babies? Egg food?

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Watch the babies and check the crop to see if theyre getting fed,,soft pettlets, scramble eggs cooked and cooled sweet potatoes, peas, leafy greens,,are good to give Mama so she can give it to the babies,,, would love to see a pic of the cuties.!

Adam21

Strolling the yard
Thank you both! I have their normal diet in there, plus half an boiled egg with some lettuce on a daily basis. The father was feeding them in the morning, and is feeding the mother now as well. She is laying on the nest still even though all eggs hatched. Does this mean the room is too cold or there is common? She seems pretty tired, and prefers to remain on the nest.

I will get you some pics soon, no worries! :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
she is also keep those little bald babies warm, her job along with feeding them.

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
She's just keeping them warm, she should stay in the nest for a long time, maybe occasionally coming out to eat herself(though that's rare until later on), and the father will take her place to keep the chicks warm.

Adam21

Strolling the yard
The babies have grown, these parents are doing a really good job. They don't let me feed them, they prefer feeding them themselves. However, seems like they are going at it again and she is picking out paper towel for a new nest. He has been chasing her around the past week, and he injured himself in the process today. One nail is stuck around the other on one of his feet. I have to cut his nails soon, I'm afraid I hurt him while catching him. I also don't want more babies, there are now 6 canaries in two cages, I don't need more. :D

Appreciate all the help, here are the babies and mother:
20170418_192224.jpg
20170418_191939.jpg

:)

Stevetomobs

Strolling the yard
Aaawwwwww, the babies are cute!! Hope you're enjoying the babs! I have 8 parakeets now! And I think my parakeets are gonna lay more eggs.

Adam21

Strolling the yard
Aaawwwwww, the babies are cute!! Hope you're enjoying the babs! I have 8 parakeets now! And I think my parakeets are gonna lay more eggs.
Thank you! 2 clutches seems like the limit, now you have more on your way, that's crazy! lol

Our canaries want to have more eggs too. The babies are still clumsy, learning to fly and bite at things. One of them is worrying me, he has odd behavior today. Beak open and constantly turning his head, not sure if the parents are feeding him/her. I think I'm just overthinking it, and since he seems pretty fine. The male canary wants more eggs and is peeking at the nest. He is also a bit aggressive with some babies recently. Twice today, he was yelling at one baby for being in his way to get to the lettuce we put for them. Then one baby was is in his usual sleeping spot and he was yelling at it. I separated him for 10 minutes and he understood the lesson, and slept on the opposite side with two other babies(out of 4). Hopefully nothing too serious.

All in all though, I'm glad all 4 have survived. The parents have been doing a good job. Hopefully it stays that way. :)