• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pionus white capped or Senegal parrot?

SueA555

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sue Anderson
I had a rescue white-capped Pionus. It took her time to decide that she liked me. Once she did, she enjoyed being petted. I think Pionus are more mellow. She never even tried to bite.

I've never had a Senegal, but I've had a Meyers and have a Jardines. They both enjoyed being petted, but only when they were in the mood. I love Joey -- he is 19 now. He is great company, and learns new words. He is very stubborn, though. They both bit once in a while -- no big deal.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
:welcomeflag:

Titti

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Titti
Thanks for all answers.
:dance4::hug8::):dance4:

Titti

Real Name
Titti
So about your experiences pionus is not so cuddly.
My problem is how introduce parrot in my flock family, and so i'd want have a cuddly and gentle parrot.
What you think about?

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Pionus for the most part are very gentle birds who tend not to bite right away and give plenty of warning first. Of course every individual is different so you might get a used/damaged bird like Lurch and have to take your and their time to earn their trust and love or you might get a bird like Dobby who at least likes everybody and is gentle and doesn't want to bite at all.
Cuddly is kinda a matter of opinion but no they generally don't like to be held up close and cuddled on but same thing, each bird is different so you never know. Lurch would sometimes do little things to let me know he cared about me like one time he was on the bathroom counter and he looked at me like he wanted something so I put my head down there with him and he very gently touched my nose about three times. I think he was trying to say he trusted me and loved me in his own way:xflove:, I figured maybe I'd get a nip but wanted to take a chance and see what happened.
I don't think they do well with small birds as in my experience small birds eventually upset them for being fast and able to fly better then they can and eventually bad things can happen to the smaller bird. No matter what bird you get supervise a while and be careful till you truly know if they decide to be friends or decide the new guy is taking away their person and must be taught a lesson.
We had a love bird for a while that totally loved to cuddle right up with you and hang out, she thought she was a eagle in a tiny body. She was very neat but needed a lot of attention to stay happy. We ended up rehoming her to a family friend who was older and retired and they became best buds and did everything together.

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
My phirrhura had ever bited just he arrives in my home at 4 months (now ha is 4 Yeats old) ne bites hardly whith no matter and he is crazy and moody And don't like be petted.
Last year i had a linnie who is docile but he has a strong temperament and one moment wants be petted and other moment bites because don't want be handled.
I don't mean to seem rude when I say this, especially since I am only making an inference based off of what you've written here, but I honestly don't think you should be focusing so much on "which species of bird is more cuddly." For two reasons:
1) I have two male cockatiels. One is a little older than the other. One of them couldn't care less about head scratches. He hates being touched/handled in general. My other cockatiel LOVES getting head scratches. When he wants head scratches, he'll lean forward on his playstand and stare at me with puppy-dog eyes until I ask him to step up. He then puts his head down and waits for me to start petting him. Even so, he is NOT a cuddle bug ALL OF THE TIME. Today, for example, he's been a little fussy. It's probably hormones. Or maybe he didn't get enough sleep last night. But the point is, even when he is being moody, I can still be with him and have him out of the cage and STILL not get bitten. How? I pay attention to his body language. I respect him and his space on the days when he wants me to leave him alone. And that's fine. The point I'm trying to say is that, even if you have a bird of a particular species/gender, every individual bird is different. But, even more so, you could have the SAME bird act VERY differently over the course of ONE day!

2) It sounds like you seem to struggle with reading bird body language. Birds often warn you with their body language if you are doing something they don't appreciate. Depending on the species and the individual bird, it could be obvious or it could be subtle, but that is why you need to pay attention and watch for the signs. However, if you ignore those signs and continue doing the thing that the bird doesn't like (such as petting), the bird learns that you only get the message when they resort to biting. You can, in fact, teach a bird to bite.
It sounds like that's what you've done with your phirrhura (I'm assuming you mean a small conure, right?) and your linnie. And whether you get a pionus or a senegal parrot, the same thing is going to happen with your new bird - you'll accidentally teach the bird to bite.

Like I said before, this is an inference based off of only what you've posted here. And there may be a very good chance that I've misinterpreted you, and if I have, I apologize. But I truly think that if have a biting problem with your phirrhura and your linnie, getting a new bird isn't going to fix it. I really think you should focus on rebuilding the relationship you have with the birds you have right now. Then maybe consider getting another bird later on.
I hope this helps. We are all here to help you if you have any other questions.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
My problem is how introduce parrot in my flock family, and so i'd want have a cuddly and gentle parrot.
With this bird it can never go wrong, I believe this is what you are looking for: :D

I really think you should focus on rebuilding the relationship you have with the birds you have right now.
My suggestion is to get another bird at the same species that you already have. And if that bird don't is what you want at least they will have each other.
To having two at same species can be really fun two. :) I love to watch mine flying around, playing, eating and doing stuff together.

Titti

Real Name
Titti
Thanks for your answer.
My english is so bad and i am not able to explain well. I have no problems with my birds.
My birds are good, they live in two cages and their doors cage are always open.
My little conure is indipendent and when he wants he comes to me to have his head scratches and he bites because he is nervous bird, but he is sweet whith words because he tells (but in italian) hallo my love give me a kiss, and other words, and when he wants he gives me kiss on my lips, but when he is moody, bites with blow, my fingers.
Linnie is sweet and he likes be petted in my hands, also he talks and in while i pet him he talks my love.
But linnie has strong personality becaus sometimes he is on my head or in my long hair and if i try to take him, he bites with blow.
So i want a suggestion about a bird that could be petted without bite, a mellow, gentle and docile bird.

I don't mean to seem rude when I say this, especially since I am only making an inference based off of what you've written here, but I honestly don't think you should be focusing so much on "which species of bird is more cuddly." For two reasons:
1) I have two male cockatiels. One is a little older than the other. One of them couldn't care less about head scratches. He hates being touched/handled in general. My other cockatiel LOVES getting head scratches. When he wants head scratches, he'll lean forward on his playstand and stare at me with puppy-dog eyes until I ask him to step up. He then puts his head down and waits for me to start petting him. Even so, he is NOT a cuddle bug ALL OF THE TIME. Today, for example, he's been a little fussy. It's probably hormones. Or maybe he didn't get enough sleep last night. But the point is, even when he is being moody, I can still be with him and have him out of the cage and STILL not get bitten. How? I pay attention to his body language. I respect him and his space on the days when he wants me to leave him alone. And that's fine. The point I'm trying to say is that, even if you have a bird of a particular species/gender, every individual bird is different. But, even more so, you could have the SAME bird act VERY differently over the course of ONE day!

2) It sounds like you seem to struggle with reading bird body language. Birds often warn you with their body language if you are doing something they don't appreciate. Depending on the species and the individual bird, it could be obvious or it could be subtle, but that is why you need to pay attention and watch for the signs. However, if you ignore those signs and continue doing the thing that the bird doesn't like (such as petting), the bird learns that you only get the message when they resort to biting. You can, in fact, teach a bird to bite.
It sounds like that's what you've done with your phirrhura (I'm assuming you mean a small conure, right?) and your linnie. And whether you get a pionus or a senegal parrot, the same thing is going to happen with your new bird - you'll accidentally teach the bird to bite.

Like I said before, this is an inference based off of only what you've posted here. And there may be a very good chance that I've misinterpreted you, and if I have, I apologize. But I truly think that if have a biting problem with your phirrhura and your linnie, getting a new bird isn't going to fix it. I really think you should focus on rebuilding the relationship you have with the birds you have right now. Then maybe consider getting another bird later on.
I hope this helps. We are all here to help you if you have any other questions.

Titti

Real Name
Titti
Thanks for all answers

Titti

Real Name
Titti
Thanks for all answers