• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Boba updates

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Huge steps today!!! Boba has been so happy today, he has been hopping around and destroying his toys like a good boy. He has also started dancing and talking like crazy. He's hanging off of everything and seems to be all around ecstatic when I'm in the room.
He stepped up from his stand and wasn't scared at all of my hand. Its like he is a completely different bird now that his flight feathers are coming in, and man are they coming in fast. He has one on his right now and more coming in.
I'm bringing him to the local Avet for a check up and nail trim Saturday.

Thanks for reading,
Sam and a very happy Boba

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
I wish more people who as patient and understanding as you are with Boba when it comes to their new feathered companions!!!

Sounds like Boba is doing fantastic! Love reading the updates about you two!! :D

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Boba and I just got back from the vet. He is a perfect 35 grams, and in all around excellent health. He did bruise his wing the other day, which is why we went in, that and he needed a nail trim, or to figure out why he bites his nails. Apparently it's just a habit. He is still on cage rest and got a minor pain killer, with a couple more doses for the next couple days.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, I hope his wingfeels better soon!

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Well, I think he's a little stoned on the pain meds right now... But I was assured that he will make a full recovery in a week or so.

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
Squeee Fischers are so tiny. That's too bad about his wing - but hopefully he'll jump back in no time.

Out of curiosity, how does a stoned bird act? :p

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Oh boy is Boba mad at me. He hasn't talked more than a few words since we got back from the Avet. I put on rogue one for him, its his favorite movie, and gave him some yummy broccoli and green peppers. Hopefully he will come around soon. Unfortunately his flight feather was damaged during his check up and fell out today, but he seems much more comfortable now that it's not sticking out sideways. Poor lil fella. :(

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Aw, I hope he forgives you soon! Maybe he's still feeling the effects from the pain meds?

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Poor guy he does sound like he hit a little stoned from the pain killers though. He'll be okay. Lovies don't hold grudges for too long. Gracie just huts me in the head on fly by to get back at me.

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Lol, Boba is too reserved for that right now. He has been doing better, talking up a storm and playing with new toys.
His travel cage and platform perch should be here today or tomorrow. Hopefully he will like them.

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
He sounds like a happy little guy in the video. My two talk in their sleep all the time it's cute.

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Boba has made a full recovery, minus one flight feather that was damaged in his fall. His spirits are very high and he is very active. I got him several new toys, a new flat perch and a travel cage. He has checked out the cage a couple times with the help of treats. He loves his new toys, and seems to enjoy the older ones more now too.
I have introduced a few more food bowls to encourage foraging and he seems to really enjoy the challenge so far. He even started eating out of my hand with some consistency. :) His toe nail biting habit has greatly subsided and he is bathing himself now. So much has changed in the the last few days. I feel like he is close to fully trusting me now. He also started headbobbing a lot more, and a new kind too. He Boba his head up and down very quickly know when he's happy, then chatters away. I can't believe the change in him, from scary bird to a little adventurer.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Awesome update!!

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
Boba just met my father for the first time! It went really well. Boba came out and got a treat, then talked for a few minutes and attacked one of his toys. They seem to like each other, which is awesome. Other than that he's been doing well.
He still doesn't like my phone much, so it's hard to get pictures and videos. I've been getting him to eat from a spray of millet that I'm holding for the last couple of weeks and seems to be getting better with my hands. He's a pretty funny little bird, and I absolutely love when he does his "happy dance" and hops around chirping and saying silly bird. He only has one flight feather still, but I hope more come in soon. I can tell that he wants to fly again, and I would love for him to come out more often.
I have numerous new perches and toys for him, but he really doesn't like change. I also am getting a 3x2x5 foot cage for him that is divisible horizontally with a tray and is on wheels. It's going to be a palace fit for a parrot, lol. Any advice on making the transition? I was planning on using the top half only first for a couple of reasons.
1:) he still isn't flighted.
2:) I don't have enough perches and toys yet for such a large enclosure.
3:) I think he will transition much easier with only half the cage as it is close to the size he has now, which is a large vision cage.
Thanks for reading,
Sam and Boba

JaclynBin

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jaclyn
When I got Gem her aviary cage, I thought she'd need much more of a transition time to move from her smaller prevue hendryx "flight" cage but she took to it immediately. Honestly she still doesn't use up the entirety of the space and is a pretty calm, lazy bird but it's reassuring that she has the space to hang out and for me to put a ton of toys in. I think Boba might take a bit more persuasion if he's not too keen on change. It'll probably help him out with his fear of new toys and such since he'll be able to put more distance between himself and these things and will be able to come to terms with them in his own time.

If he's coming out regularly, you can start acquainting him with his new abode by appending rope perches and toys to the outside of the new cage and throwing some treats inside to see if he'll venture in by himself. Make it seem like a super fun place and he'll want to spend time there.

In terms of the divider, can he flutter at all or does he drop like a stone? I had a blanket at the base of Panda's cage until he gained enough muscle mass to be able to navigate even without all of his flight feathers.

I found that my birds are generally much nicer when they're housed in their larger cages and much less territorial. When I'm travelling with and have to house them in their smaller sleep cages for long periods of time, they get quite a bit more stir crazy. Hopefully you'll see Boba become more sure of himself once he settles in.

Also, what kind of cage did you get? Let me know if it turns out to be a decent cage - I'm trying to compile a list of potential new cages for Panda. Good luck with the switch!! :)