• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

So...I'm buying an egg

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
They have hooked beaks. So, that would be painful :lol:
I mean this guy has a CAG and a cockatoo, do you think he'd rather be bitten by one of those rather than a budgie? :hehe:

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
I mean this guy has a CAG and a cockatoo, do you think he'd rather be bitten by one of those rather than a budgie? :hehe:
Cockatoo nips aren't THAT bad ;) I've only been bitten by two of the small guys

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
I get that!!! I'd rather get a chomp from my eclectus then my greenie or my linnie! They go right for that cuticle and hang on!

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
I get that!!! I'd rather get a chomp from my eclectus then my greenie or my linnie! They go right for that cuticle and hang on!
Oh really?! I just took it as more of his "Why don't you get a "real" bird" spiel. I guess I don't understand the staff at these stores very well.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Oh really?! I just took it as more of his "Why don't you get a "real" bird" spiel. I guess I don't understand the staff at these stores very well.
I wasn't there to see so that may have been the attitude... but having been chomped by my fair share of birds I really do prefer the "crush" instead of the "pinch" in terms of bites. Most bigger birds (in my experience) don't bite and hang on like the littles do. The exception would be cockatoos, the worst bites I've seen have been from toos waking up from anesthesia.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
I wasn't there to see so that may have been the attitude... but having been chomped by my fair share of birds I really do prefer the "crush" instead of the "pinch" in terms of bites. Most bigger birds (in my experience) don't bite and hang on like the littles do. The exception would be cockatoos, the worst bites I've seen have been from toos waking up from anesthesia.
I trust your experience :) I can see how different types of bites could be more painful than another. As for the person I talked to, I don't know. Maybe I'm just frustrated with the experience.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
The wait and not knowing if they've hatched yet is killing me :confused: I was looking at people's parrot photos on facebook (Parrot Station) and let out a huge sigh. My partner says "Was that sigh because you have to wait for your bird?" haha How did she know?! :lol:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
BTW, did you draw your avatar? It's very cute.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
BTW, did you draw your avatar? It's very cute.
No, I wish I could draw that well! It's by an artist who had a turquoise conure...I'm blanking on her name for some reason. She does such cute illustrations!

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
You can usually make a good guess on the gender of a weaned budgie. Just look for the white ring. Of course that is not true of all colors.
I am friends with several breeders and have never seen a deposit on an egg. Like previously said it is a deposit on which order you get to pick your bird. If there are two people ahead of you then you can pick third.
I am ok with most bird bites (been bitten by macaws) and I will say the one birds that I will not handle if not tame is a lovebird. I have had huge puncture wounds from greys and such but the lovebird bites hurt the most. And I've had some painful budgie bites too. Those little beaks find the sweet spot everytime when it comes to inflicting pain.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
I wanted to post an update. None of the English budgie eggs in the clutch hatched, so unfortunately that didn't work out which made me super sad. BUT, they had 3 canary wing parakeets and we really liked them and chose one. They should be weaned in a week or so.
I'd still really like to have a budgie one day, but I think we'll see how we do with 1 parrot first :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I can tell you from experience if you settle on another species your heart will ache. I could not find any EB for a while but did the research and found the one I told you about. I settled on a Lovebird and was sorry afterwards. I would at least call the breeder I gave you contact information on and ask about the shipping from east t west where you are.

EB are just fantastic birds.

schnitzle

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Schnitzle
Thanks Dianne. We're pretty set on trying out this canary wing and have been visiting it a few times a week while it's weaning off of hand feedings.
But I will give Walt a call and see what he says about shipping. Do you mind sharing your experience with your lovebird? Though if it's too painful, I understand!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry about the budgie but congrats on the canary wing. They are very cute, IMO. You've already interacted with the bird and you liked it so go for it.