• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Planting a Garden for Your Parrot

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Thinking of doing a container garden this yr for the birds ...great ideas for things to put in it ..thanks for posting :)

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I have done this for Sweet Pea 2 summers and for both birds last summer. I do all in containers on my deck. I have planted things like peas, carrots, lettuces, herbs, green beans, wheat grass. the one thing I will add is carrots aren't very big but they are so sweet. I also dry greens for them for the winter.

Soil is ready, seeds bought | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

I make my own compost and bought organic fertilizer for the pots. the biggest problem I have with growing garden is darn squirrels in my hood. they are PITA's about staying out of my bean and peas.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Anyone come up with a way to keep squirrels out of places they are not wanted?

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
@Lady Jane I have organic home made squirrel spray. if I can get them b/4 they get my plants, they fly off the deck from getting sprayed with Vinegar, onion, garlic and red pepper flakes. boiled together and then allowed to steep for 24 + hours, strained thru coffee filters. the fluid is bright red and stains where ever they get sprayed. you just can't get it on the plants, vinegar will kill them.

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I'm so busy this year I'm thinking container garden too

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
the one thing I will say about container gardens, make sure the soil is loose and fine, no Clumps. I use to take each pot indoors, dump it on to plastic sheeting, remove all the old roots, add fresh soil to the pot, shovel the freshen soil back into the pots and carry it back out on to the deck. last year I messed up my shoulder doing this, to point I was on tramadol and thought I was going to have to have surgery. this year I remove about a 1/3 of the old soil from each pot adding good potting soil back plus compost. the old soil will go into composting bucket. I was out tonight working organic fertilizer into the soil and watering those pots so they are moist when I plant the seeds. the weather needs to be warmer b/4 I plant. these 30 degree nights need to stop b/4 I plant.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If you use one of those huge containers you can lay empty water bottles in the bottom to lighten the weight and amount of soil. I did this last year and the plants all flourished.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I grow lots of stuff in containers every year. Gonna grow a lot of greens, herbs and green beans for Kamara.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
non compostable packing peanut works well also for filling pots

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
I just went out to see what pot sizes I have out there. 2- 12", 3- 10", 1- 14", and a bunch of assorted sizes total 13 pots.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I've fod the easiest edible plants to grow even for novice gardener (all these really need are water and sun, no feeding required) are:
Mint (MUST be in containers, if not it spreads endlessly) Mint is very hardy and also you can hang it to dry and make tea
Green beans (bush variety) grow almost by themselves, no fiddling with it after planting. All you do is water
Parsley grows nice and bushy without much help. It can tolerate light frost and come back next year too!
Peas grow nicely up a long stick, they only provide one harvest of peas per plant and then they die so beware
Radishes, you can eat the tops too!
Leaf lettuce is hardy and you can cut it and it will keep growing

I've found these plants the more challenging to grow (require more work than sun and water)
Blueberries (yes, there are varieties that grow in pots) these require acidic soil, feedings and mulching. Also it takes a year for a new bush to produce
Peppers basically need the same care as tomatoes if you've ever grown those, must be fed plant food and peppers take all season to grow and ripen
Strawberries need to be fed in order for the fruits to taste good, I supplement feedings with Epson salt for sweeter berries. Everything will try and eat your berries!

These are just thing things I've grown personally. I've heard most herbs are pretty easy in containers but haven't tried it firsthand yet