• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures She likes greens and not fruits

Nami

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nicola
If she likes leafy greens I bet she'll love to try a few springs of herbs in her salad, I have a little garden growing for my birdies (and for me!)

Coriander/cilantro, sage, chives and basil are some good choices, they can really help add variety to a birds diet :laugh:

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
If she likes leafy greens I bet she'll love to try a few springs of herbs in her salad, I have a little garden growing for my birdies (and for me!)

Coriander/cilantro, sage, chives and basil are some good choices, they can really help add variety to a birds diet :laugh:
I was under the impression that chives being in the onion family meant they weren't bird safe?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Just not normal iceberg lettuce. That stuff is essentially void of nutrition.
Yes, that's true, I meant the other types, especially romaine. I even forgot iceberg exists, lol!

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
We don't buy iceberg for ourselves because of the fact it's mostly water. I'm planning on planting lots of herbs this spring, gonna do mint, basil and parsley. I might grow kale or like some other kind of green but absolutely growing beans the way she eats them!

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
Last night I offered the girl a cucumber, she happily nibbled it for the rest of the night, I was under the impression they were mostly water like iceberg lettuce but I buy them for myself because they're one of my favorite veggies. Do they have any nutritional value or should I skip the cucumber slices in the future.

Today I'm offering her kale, she's just been eating her pellets today instead of the kale

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think they have some B vitamins, but since they have so much water, you're probably better off feeding mostly other greens/veggies. Of course she loves them, right?!:meh:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Many birds prefer veggies over fruits.

If you want to try fruits again, try *green* bananas, sour apples, berries, cranberries, pomegranate...