• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My tiel has dried formula on its face!!

Prem

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello All,

I have 1 month old Cockatiel. I tried the hand feeding. Since it was my first time. I could not feed properly for the first day and the formula is stuck all over its neck and on the head and dried up. Its 3rd day now and Its seems very hard and I dont think so it will be cleared by warm water wipes. But my question is, if I leave it as it is. The dried dried feathers will fall and re grow again normally? and will it be okay? or it will remain the same as it is now. Please advise I am very much worried about it.

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! The feathers will molt out eventually, however the dried formula could irritate the baby until that happens. Do not rub the feathers, or the crop under them, too hard (doing so could cause the baby to aspirate), but I would continue to use a warm wet cloth/towel to try to remove the dried on formula.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
use a very wet warm wash cloth on the dried gunk. the more you can moist that dried gunk that easily it will come off the feather just make sure to dry that area well and keep that baby warm so it doesn't get chilled.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I was a teenager, I had a family member who bought a cockatiel who had formula crusted all around his face (it was like concrete - water might've slightly softened it, but it needed more than that). I slowly and carefully used my fingernails to crack it apart and free him of it over time.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
You will want to get it off slowly and carefully as described above. It can be a place for bacteria to grow and really wouldn't healthy to leave it. Just use the time to handed and cuddle the baby. Do a little at a time.

Baby birds have an underdeveloped immune system so you want to keep them extra clean. Clean the feeding tool (whatever you are using). Then soak it in boiling water for a minute or two and store in a clean covered container to keep it more or less germ free.

Wipe up wet formula during each feeding.

Best wishes to you and your baby :)

theocnoob

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pablo and George
Are you using a hand feeding syringe? I hold the syringe on an angle facing down so George has to aim up with his head. He latches onto the syringe and I very slowly empty it into his mouth. He's gotten good at zero mess (he's 9 years old) but back when he was little I had to clean the formula off his beak and face.