• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Away for a year - no bites???

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
This is a thread for all those people who worry about leaving their birds for a few days.

I left mine for what should have been a few months, but ended up being a year. No contact, no video calls, nothing. Yes the first few months were hell.

I left their care to the SO and my EX, threatening the SO with a long slow painful death if any one of them lost a feather, and bribing him with pictures of fashion items from London ( which he DESPERATELY wanted) I did this several times, using slides, blood samples, and pointy objects.

The backup (ex) I bribed with a good pair of running shoes (his choice) and he was VERY happy. When you’re in Africa, getting nice things from London is VERY ACCEPTABLE.

Well,I arrived to find all the babies in very good, shiny glossy feather. Slightly long in beak and nail, it’s true. And no eggs at all this season.

…But that’s hardly a disaster.

I was prepared for the babies screaming, tantrums and punishment bites. After all, I just walked out one day without a word. Well, that was a non event.

But kids will always surprise you. I walked in quietly, afternoon nap time, with a handful of nuts, all birdies in their flights. I did tip the dice in my favour by wearing my stripey t shirt, which they love to surf on.

Speaking quietly, saying hello, offering nuts. MANY inquisitive glances, slow acceptance of the nuts through the bars. Several doubting Thomases (Not looking at anyone special Thumper, Fingers, and Cha_Cha).

BOO-BOO twigged it first. It REALLY IS HIM!. He leaped at the door to be let out, and went straight into surfing mode on my shoulder.

That started the pandemonium. The GTC babies were next, delirious, all over me - still no Thumper, sitting back having his nut.

Then Cha Cha realised and came flying over to be released. No red eyes, no puffiness, no flared pants, just my lil lady cottoning on. ( I say this because she HATES the SO lol)

Finally Thumper realised what a fool he had been, and from that second on, could not be separated from my shoulder lol

SO WHERES THE BITES?

I was at home for a whole week. Several hours a day with birdies. No bites, no screaming, no tantrums. One years absence. Just sayin’

Dont ask about the trip back. 36 hours of progressive flight delays, Hysterical children racing into walls. Parents too exhausted to intervene. People in wheelchairs dumbstruck.

Then we had the easy part. A ten hour flight to London.

Next day I was offered a role closer to the birdies in SA. A two hour flight from home. So weekends with the birdies very possible. Paperwork being finalised. Watch this space…….

Last edited:

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yay!!! Just...... YAY..... hope all works to your favor.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That is the difference between having a "flock" JP and having "a bird" that you left for a year. And the very reason birds should be kept in flocks. I hope you get to see them a lot more. :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Glad you had a good visit and hope your new contract works out well.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
That is the difference between having a "flock" JP and having "a bird" that you left for a year. And the very reason birds should be kept in flocks. I hope you get to see them a lot more. :)
As usual, you are a rock of sense JL. In some european countries it is illegal to keep a single bird, even as a pet.

Tim

Avenue Veteran
That is wonderful!

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
So glad everything went well when you came home. You know they missed you :heart:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
:goodluck: Keeping fingers crossed for your paperwork to be done and for you to be closer to home .... :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I enjoyed your "story". It's nice to have you back on AA. I hope your new work contract goes through easy as pie :)

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Well I've started at the new job. only a 1.5hr flight from home. So at least i'm the right side of the world now. Once I get settled in I expect to be spending most weekends with the babies.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Well I've started at the new job. only a 1.5hr flight from home. So at least i'm the right side of the world now. Once I get settled in I expect to be spending most weekends with the babies.
Woo hoo!!!!!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine

ode.to.parrots

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
That sounds like an amazing way to be welcomed back home!!! :)