• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Getting GCC used to flightsuit?

kiwi203

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Caden
My year old GCC is a legal ESA (emotional support animal,) to help with my panic disorder. I purchased her a flightsuit and have been easing her to it over the past week. She will bite it, let me pet her with it (albeit while she nips at me) and she will go close to it. But if I place it near her, she'll run from it, and she will NOT go closer than an inch away. How do I get her used to this suit? Yes, it has to be a flight suit and not a harness because otherwise she'll poop everywhere in public, and there's sanitary laws. Thanks! :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Have you viewed any Barbara Heidenreich training videos? You can give her a command like "suit" and use a clicker or the word "good" and give her a treat every time she is an inch away. Then make her touch it to get the treat. Then drape it on her, etc. It might take several weeks, but just proceed in small increments and make sure she has mastered each step before you go on to the next one. You should also work on her letting you touch her wings. Good luck!