• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Really worried...

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
But do I need to be? I know I have a history of freaking out over Brodie's poop, but here are two photos of poop from tonight. It doesn't look normal to me. He's acting fairly normal -- no abnormally fluffed feathers, no disinterest in food (quite the opposite), no change in behavior, his vent is not stained in any way...

That being said, I have pulled up the phone number of an avian-certified vet in my area. And the email. And I'm prepped to call and see if I can get him in to be seen tomorrow.

FullSizeRender (6).jpg

Three poops all from approximately the same time. The first one is the big lumpy one. The smaller other two happened shortly thereafter (not sure which of those came first though).

Then there was this one... and this is the one that REALLY has me kinda freaking out.
FullSizeRender (7).jpg
The black specs. I've NEVER seen that before. It doesn't look like undigested seeds to me, but I have no idea what else it would be. And the "stringiness" of the urates is bizarre too. And the color, and the bubble.

He's had a poop similar to this before (NO black specs, but "stringy" urates). Poop abnormalities always seem to happen when he's out of his cage (right now he is on his table stand next to my desk).

I've taken to putting paper plates under where he poops in the cage so I can closely monitor his poop. And for the most part, he's fine. Green or reddish brown feces (the reddish brown ones are due to him eating only the red pellets from Higgins InTune pellets), white urates, and clear urine. No bubbles, no weird discoloration.

But when he's out of his cage, I see the "stringy" urates and the malformed feces. And he also has "normal" poops when he's out of the cage too (even tonight, he had one poop that was the normal tubular feces, white urate, clear urine). And this seems to be the only time I see them... they're never in his cage/on the paper plates or the newspaper lining the bottom of his cage. Yet he chooses to come out of his cage... so I don't know what to make of that. It's not like I'm forcing him to.

FullSizeRender (8).jpg

Here's 3 poops -- an example from tonight. About 5-10 minutes apart. The two (that look like one poop) on the righthand side are bizarre looking. The one on the left/top is more normal. The one on the left happened after the ones on the right. (The tiny feather on the bottom right is because he was preening and fluffed, and it fell and landed on the paper.)

I'm so confused.

:(

A note on diet: Brodie eats a mixture of Higgins InTune Pellets and Higgins Safflower Gold seed mix, with almonds, pumpkin seeds, a pistachio or two, and sometimes some of ZuPreem's SmartSeed added in. He normally gets apple slices daily but this has been less regular in the past week since I've been working crazy hours and my stress levels are high.

A note on stress: We recently adopted a 1 year old dog. She's been here for about a month, and is settling in well. Brodie likes her. However, I'm pretty sure that he can tell that my stress level is higher now due to work plus taking care of my "zoo" -- and I also don't see my husband very much at all due to HIS work schedule.

So I know all of that can impact how he is doing. And I'm going to get back on track with feeding him regular fruits and veggies (smack me on the hand, go ahead -- balancing everything is tough but I feel like I failed and that I should be making him more of a priority -- in my head he's dying... because anxiety is fun like that).

But in the meantime... call the vet's tomorrow for an appointment?... or is this something that is not as emergency-ish as I'm assuming...?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I think that if he's acting okay, you can call the vet tomorrow and make an appointment. It's hard to say from the pictures, but maybe he has something like a minor bacterial infection that's easily curable with antibiotics. I don't think you have to worry too much, and he could even be fine. Tell the vet what's going on, and maybe they can get you in the first part of the week. Have you been weighing him regularly?

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
Weighing has not been happening. I need to get my life together. :(

I'll call the vet in the AM and get their input.

One thing that really throws me off is that he had a perfectly normal poop less than a minute before he got on his tabletop stand. (Like... his normal, darker green tubular feces, white urates, not a lot of urine but what there was, was clear.)

So why would he have peculiar poops like this only when he is on his tabletop stand?... That's what's making me question my sanity... :(

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
That is weird, but better than them being a little odd all of the time. Maybe it's just a coincidence and there is nothing wrong!

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
Maybe. Ugh.

Those black specks are what's really bugging me, since those seem the oddest/most inexplicable out of all the other stuff. :(

McBird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Bird
does your vet have an emergency line or do you have your vets personal cell phone? that's what I did when Leaf had a weird morning poo. I would just call to alleviate your concern. it could be nothing, but it's better safe than sorry. if he's acting normal I wouldn't think emergency right away, just to get an opinion.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
As much as it can be tempting, please don't call your vet's home number. By the looks of the poop it might be a good idea to get some cytology done to rule out potential yeast or bacteria, but this is NOT an emergency.

Beyza

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Beyza Ünal
Hello All,

I know that this discussion is 4 years old but I am having the same problem with my parrotlet and I am very worried. He is also very okay other than black specks in his droppings. I couldn't find any other similar issue so I wanted to ask here how this problem is solved or did it turn out to be a normal thing. Please help me :(

Beyza

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This memeber hasn't logged in since 2017 so is very unlikely to see your post.

Please start your own thread - that way, more members will see it and may be able to help.

Beyza

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Beyza Ünal
Thank you so much, I am new to the community so I wasn't sure how to proceed.