• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Rough Adjustment

MARILYN CEDENO

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marilyn
I thought it was in Roxie's best interest to upgrade her cage to bigger, brighter, more breathable. Once it was assembled, we allowed it to sit next to her for more than two weeks while I added and adjusted perches, toys and foraging do-dads. I moved some of her things out of the old cage and into the new very gradually while making sure to leave everything behind that provides her comfort. She has had a chance to explore, back and forth, between the new cage and the old. But I don't think shes welcoming the transition completely and is overwhelmed. For the past two nights, I tried to get her to sleep in the new cage but, both times, she refused to settle down and climbed upside down until I allowed her back into her old cage. I would have liked to donate the old cage but it appears that we'll have to keep it so that she can sleep comfortably.
At this point, I'm thinking I may have bought a cage that's too big for her. I don't have experience in this so I don't really know. I always thought the bigger, the better when it comes to cages. Am I wrong?

Attachments

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Two weeks isn't very long for anything bird related. What's the rush?

The old cage is a great sleep cage.

I like to own 2 cars because I can.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
As she spends more and more time in the new cage, start removing things from the old one a little at a time. First, make sure you provide food only in the new cage. Then start removing toys from the old cage her least favorite ones first and make them appear in the new cage. The absolute last thing you are going to have in the old cage is the perch where she sleeps; and set up a new sleeping perch in an analogous spot in the new cage. It took me months to change Emmie CAG's cage. And I did it very poorly with Pedro and that was one of the reasons he and I never got along. But I learned and applied that new knowledge to Emmie's move. Sunshine Senegal never accepted the new macaw sized cage I got her, so I left her in her smaller cage and gave her macaw cage to Hobbs Meyers and he loved it, using every square inch of it every day!

MARILYN CEDENO

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marilyn
First, make sure you provide food only in the new cage. Then start removing toys from the old cage her least favorite ones first and make them appear in the new cage. The absolute last thing you are going to have in the old cage is the perch where she sleeps; and set up a new sleeping perch in an analogous spot in the new cage.

Thanks so much, Lois! One of the very first things I was sure to do is have her eat in the new cage. I always leave fresh water in he old cage, just in case. And I've set up a bowl with a perch close by in the new cage, similar to her previous sleeping arrangement. (She loves to sleep perched on the edge of her bowl. I never understood it, but who am I to question it?) o_O

The old cage is a great sleep cage.
Very true, John.. Its cozy :smuggrin:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
How is Roxie doing?

MARILYN CEDENO

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marilyn
How is Roxie doing?
She's loving her play time in the new cage, that's for sure! She'll come out of her sleep cage in time for breakfast and then remain in the new cage during the day. She has started to explore and play with her new toys and climb to the higher perches so she's definitely getting warmed up. I'm happy to see her have the ability to move around freely :) When bedtime rolls around, she still prefers to climb out and head back to the old cage.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
She's loving her play time in the new cage, that's for sure! She'll come out of her sleep cage in time for breakfast and then remain in the new cage during the day. She has started to explore and play with her new toys and climb to the higher perches so she's definitely getting warmed up. I'm happy to see her have the ability to move around freely :) When bedtime rolls around, she still prefers to climb out and head back to the old cage.
Old habits die hard!

Domothebudgie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Would you mind telling me where you got your big cage? I have been looking for a bigger cage for my cockatoo and the one you have is really nice. Thanks!

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Would you mind telling me where you got your big cage? I have been looking for a bigger cage for my cockatoo and the one you have is really nice. Thanks!
There are a few places online to get some good ones! I love the King's cage I have for my eclectus, but A&E is another good cage brand to look into.

MARILYN CEDENO

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marilyn
I bought this cage on Amazon. I returned to my order history and see that it is sold out but here is another that is very similar (maybe an inch smaller all around) and sold by the same manufacturer. Its also at a much better price than Roxie's was! o_O (darn)

Amazon.com : New Large Wrought Iron Open/Close Play Top Bird Parrot Cage, Include Metal Seed Guard Solid Metal Feeder Nest Doors Overall Dimensions: 35.25"Wx29.5"x62"H(With Seed Skirt) : Pet Supplies