• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video The Cat & The wild Cockatoo

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne

And people see this and think: 'See, birds are safe from cats, that cat is not doing anything to the bird, MY cat would never hurt MY birds'

Where is the other pics, the ones showing the remaining feathers of a bird that was attacked by a cat.

Different points of view, I understand sharing a cute video, I was more or less referencing what @Macaw Lover was referring to.

None the less, it still translates to certain folks that this is something that they could try with their family cat , for what ever it's worth ,. ;)

I don't want to get into a debate over it. just expressing a point of view

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I've never had that problem with the toos I get. I prefer them not to visit due to noise, but a pair have recently discovered the joys of a passion fruit vine that has grown over a couple of trees in my yard and are now regular guests. They also eat from the food I sometimes give the galahs and lorikeets, but are yet to scare them away. I think it helps that they all come by at different times, and are contented by different things. The lorikeets happily eat apple slices I leave on the ground, and the galahs have no problem foraging the grass for fallen seed and other things if the hanging treats aren't available. It works out pretty well for everyone.
My issue was that once when I had Lovebirds outside in a cage to get some sun, the cockatoos were so determined to get their seed that they ripped the whole top of the lovebird's beak off. That was really the catalyst that stopped me welcoming them into my yard. I dont blame the cockatoo - it was just trying to get a food source it could see - but I simply don't want to encourage them here. We have a bush reserve across the road from the house - so we do throw the old seed there for them, but I never leave food out for wildlife in my yard anymore.

The King Parrots are well mannered, so I would leave out food for them - but the problem is that the cockies would eat it all first. So the King's and I know the procedure and it's working for us :)

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wow has this thread gone off track. My intention was solely the humor.

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue

Different points of view, I understand sharing a cute video, I was more or less referencing what @Macaw Lover was referring to.

None the less, it still translates to certain folks that this is something that they could try with their family cat , for what ever it's worth ,. ;)

I don't want to get into a debate over it. just expressing a point of view
Agree :) I also think the owner of the video isn't doing the right thing to share this as a "cute video". At a minimum, he/she should make it clear these are wild birds. Also that if you live in an area where these rather bold birds live, then it may not be a good idea to leave your dog or cats food outside. If they did that, it could be instructional. They'd be showing a problem and giving a solution. Right now, I think you're correct - a lot of people will look at this being a cute interaction between pet cockatoos and a pet cat, which I dont believe it is. I think it's a real life conflict between wild birds and a pet cat. 99.9% of the time in this situation, the wild cockatoo will not be hurt - but there is always the chance the cat could get lucky. So, I agree with you that it's not "cute" and could give a wrong impression.

Last edited:

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
:). :). :)
I don't agree with 24 hours, but I do think all cats should be locked up at night and that a bell should be compulsory. I don't own a cat, I'm not a cat person at all. My neighbours do have a cat which is ALWAYS coming into our backyard. I wish it didn't. Luckily, it seems to have no hunting instincts and completely ignores our 2 outside aviaries. If it did bother our aviary birds, I'd need to confront our neighbours. I wish they'd at least lock it up at night, but they don't :(

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
No no worries, just a friendly exchange of thought, would be boring if no one could share their point of view.
All is good :sadhug2:

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
I have seen vids llke this before. The cat is on its home porch, the cockatoo is wild and it is Australia: there was a magpie in the picture. The cockatoo wants the cat food. Bite the cat and make cat leave and eat food. This is what is happening.

Have watched cockatoos, Mitchells, galahs, Corella's and bare eyed do the same to other cats and dogs on UTube.