• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Night Parrot Flight Shot

Stormcloud

Squawk Talk!
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gerard
For the best part of a century the Night Parrot was thought to be extinct. To see one was considered to be the Holy Grail of bird watching.

Some of the reasons they've been so difficult to find is that they live Australia's arid desert interior where temperatures can exceed 50C during the day and they're also nocturnal. TBH, I doubt that there are too many people, including me, that can be bothered running around the desert in the middle of the night trying to track down a relatively small bird that's around the same size as my own grass parrots.

The Night Parrot comes from the family Pezoporus that also includes the Eastern Ground Parrot and Western Ground Parrot, which are also nocturnal and are both found in southern Australia. It is unknown how many exist in the wild but their habitat would appear to range from east of the Great Dividing Range in Queensland all the way across to Western Australia just east of Broome.

For those interested in learning more about the Night Parrot there are a number of links listed below regarding recent new stories, including nest photos and even a pretty good flight shot (yes I'm jealous).
Night parrot sighting in Western Australia shocks birdwatching world - RN
The rare night parrot - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Night parrots discovery in central-west Queensland puts elusive ... - ABC
Night parrot's drinking habits revealed in research expected to ... - ABC

This link also contains a video of one after being captured for tagging and then released. Please note this link may, or may not, work after 24 hours or so.
Queensland scientists on the trail of endangered night parrot in central west Queensland

Enjoy.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
For the best part of a century the Night Parrot was thought to be extinct. To see one was considered to be the Holy Grail of bird watching.

Some of the reasons they've been so difficult to find is that they live Australia's arid desert interior where temperatures can exceed 50C during the day and they're also nocturnal. TBH, I doubt that there are too many people, including me, that can be bothered running around the desert in the middle of the night trying to track down a relatively small bird that's around the same size as my own grass parrots.

The Night Parrot comes from the family Pezoporus that also includes the Eastern Ground Parrot and Western Ground Parrot, which are also nocturnal and are both found in southern Australia. It is unknown how many exist in the wild but their habitat would appear to range from east of the Great Dividing Range in Queensland all the way across to Western Australia just east of Broome.

For those interested in learning more about the Night Parrot there are a number of links listed below regarding recent new stories, including nest photos and even a pretty good flight shot (yes I'm jealous).
Night parrot sighting in Western Australia shocks birdwatching world - RN
The rare night parrot - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
Night parrots discovery in central-west Queensland puts elusive ... - ABC
Night parrot's drinking habits revealed in research expected to ... - ABC

This link also contains a video of one after being captured for tagging and then released. Please note this link may, or may not, work after 24 hours or so.
Queensland scientists on the trail of endangered night parrot in central west Queensland

Enjoy.
Beautiful! Thank you so much sharing that clip it was gorgeous. Nice to see you again too, I hope all is well with you and yours.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It is nice to see you posting again.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How cool! It kinda looks like a Linnie..Nice to see you again!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Gerard!!!!:hug8:

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Good to hear from you Gerard!
I was excited when they found them in 2013, this is very exciting there's another population.
I hope they all thrive with some help.

metalstitcher

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Wonderful read. Thank you for sharing.

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Amazing. Glad to see they are not extinct. Hopefully they can bounce back.