• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Night Frights

Kales

Meeting neighbors
Hello,
My 9 month old Bourke has had a few night frights since I got him.
I got him a night light and that helped immensely.
He did however have one last night which scared that crap out of me as I ran to his cage and there was blood on the wall. I had to remove a blood feather, but I'm concerned he is really going to hurt himself one day.
He is very tame and does settle when I get to him, but with last night by the time I get to the cage it was too late and he hurt himself. I'm also a deep sleeper and worry I might sometimes miss them.
He had a very large and long flight cage with my 3 Gouldian Finches.
I wonder though if the cage might be too large for night time? Would he feel more secure in a smaller cage at night?
Could it be because he is a lone Bourke? Not sure if that has anything to do with it. We socialize with him lots and he gets tons of attention.
I clipped his wings to try to prevent him from hurting himself too much in case of another night fright.
Any tips or tricks would be very much appreciated.
Thank you

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Nerine

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nerine
I have a rosey bourke too, and she is also prone to night frights. I have a night light just a couple of feet from her cage; I also don't cover her cage at all. It's possible that one of the gouldians may have startled your bourke. I think it's a good idea to have him in his own separate cage just for night.

Kccrazy

Moving in
I have a tame female rosey bourke too. She is housed with a cockatiel. I've had her for 3 years and she's never had a night fright. I agree that maybe the finches set her off.

They do tend to be more active at night than other birds though, and she will often peep at me if she hears me in the kitchen after dark. :)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Clipping his wings wont help keep him any safer in a fright... and could possibly cause more harm than good... especially if those new feathers start to grow in and they don't have any support because the old feathers have been clipped...

Have you tried white noise at all? It could be anything... such as the sound of rain, a creek trickling by, the sound of the waves washing up against the beach, quiet night time jungle sounds, etc.

This way, it's not completely silent at night, so any sudden noises aren't so sudden.

hellen

Strolling the yard
Real Name
hellen
the 2nd night i had my cockatiel he had a bad night fright because a moth flew into his cage

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
My Gouldians don't budge at night, and having other birds around is probably calming. I'd be hesitant to move him at night.