• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What would you suggest?

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Hi birds and birdettes. My husband wants his own companion bird and we would like all of your opinions on what species to get. He's a fairly large man and would like a bird that is a match in size. He likes Hyacinth macaws but they seem really expensive to me. I personally have experience with Greys, Eclectus, and Cockatoos and I think Eclectus are the best suited for him but I would like more ideas. He's only had experience with out Parrotlet Xyla and would like a calm bird that likes to hang out on his shoulder. He doesn't care about talking ability but we'd rather not have a screamer. Thanks in advance =)

Last edited:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Many of us say to let this bird pick you. If you can find a bird rescue I suggest you visit or volunteer some time. You will then have the opportunity to interact with the birds. A calm bird that likes to shoulder sit would be a cockatiel. African Grey's are great birds too. I would not recommend you go from a parrolette bird to a cockatoo.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Many of us say to let this bird pick you. If you can find a bird rescue I suggest you visit or volunteer some time. You will then have the opportunity to interact with the birds. A calm bird that likes to shoulder sit would be a cockatiel. African Grey's are great birds too. I would not recommend you go from a parrolette bird to a cockatoo.
I'll second that. The best relationship he will have is with a bird that chooses him. Not the other way round.

Screamers are not born. They are made. This is entirely an owner problem.

With your experience I would personally implore you to help an existing bird that just needs a home. (Please don't buy one from a store/breeder)

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I'll second that. The best relationship he will have is with a bird that chooses him. Not the other way round.

Screamers are not born. They are made. This is entirely an owner problem.

With your experience I would personally implore you to help an existing bird that just needs a home. (Please don't buy one from a store/breeder)
Bird rescues are few and far inbetween in our area. I'm aware that a bird should choose him but we'd like to have a species in mind to look for and prepare its cage and dietary requirements.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
if you tell us where you are we may be able to help you find a rescue?

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
What do you mean by "experience"?

My suggestion is first make sure you are of the mindset that you are prepared to care for and nurture any creature that you bring into your home. In many respects this bird will not only be your husband's bird. It will be a part of your life just as much because a large parrot will certainly make you aware of its presence in your home. And I'm sure that your husband will not take this bird with him every time he leaves the house without you...no? A large parrot in the home requires that every family member be on board with the same attitude towards this creature. In other words, that they all want it there. It will be work and modification on the part of everyone.

"Companion" is a term used by the industry and a misrepresentation. Any parrot you bring into your home is programmed to seek out and form a strong bond with a mate. And with that the potential for acting out against any perceived "intruders." As well as the possibility that it will scream its butt off every time your husband leaves the room (if he is the chosen mate).

By and large any pet you bring into your home, especially a non domesticated/wild animal, will have its own inborn temperament that is further shaped by its experiences and the environment. But don't discount nature. Many people make that mistake and fail at owning large birds.

They are long-lived animals whose future personalities are largely unpredictable at a young age. And there is much variability even within the same species - some are simply more vocal than others, others are more nervous and nippy, some can be aloof, others docile and playful. And at different times they will be all of these things.

I hate to say it but a parrot as a "lap dog" for me is a red flag right off the bat. Certainly you might end up with a macaw like that (or moments of peace and quiet) but watch videos of macaws in the wild and you'll see that they're very energetic, gregarious, and feisty creatures (they nip back and forth at each other constantly). Point being is that if you have a narrow expectation you are likely to be disappointed in whichever animal you bring into your home.

Remember parrots have not been domesticated, in other words, genetically modified for desirable pet-qualities over the ages. What the human owner should count on, more often than not, are behaviors that are compatible with the jungle - but in their living rooms. This approach is most fair to the creature you are bringing into your home.

Last edited:

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
What do you mean by "experience"?

My suggestion is first make sure you are of the mindset that you are prepared to care for and nurture any creature that you bring into your home. In many respects this bird will not only be your husband's bird. It will be a part of your life just as much because a large parrot will certainly make you aware of its presence in your home. And I'm sure that your husband will not take this bird with him every time he leaves the house without you...no? A large parrot in the home requires that every family member be on board with the same attitude towards this creature. In other words, that they all want it there. It will be work and modification on the part of everyone.

"Companion" is a term used by the industry and a misrepresentation. Any parrot you bring into your home is programmed to seek out and form a strong bond with a mate. And with that the potential for acting out against any perceived "intruders." As well as the possibility that it will scream its butt off every time your husband leaves the room (if he is the chosen mate).

By and large any pet you bring into your home, especially a non domesticated/wild animal, will have its own inborn temperament that is further shaped by its experiences and the environment. But don't discount nature. Many people make that mistake and fail at owning large birds.

They are long-lived animals whose future personalities are largely unpredictable at a young age. And there is much variability even within the same species - some are simply more vocal than others, others are more nervous and nippy, some can be aloof, others docile and playful. And at different times they will be all of these things.

I hate to say it but a parrot as a "lap dog" for me is a red flag right off the bat. Certainly you might end up with a macaw like that (or moments of peace and quiet) but watch videos of macaws in the wild and you'll see that they're very energetic, gregarious, and feisty creatures (they nip back and forth at each other constantly). Point being is that if you have a narrow expectation you are likely to be disappointed in whichever animal you bring into your home.

Remember parrots have not been domesticated, in other words, genetically modified for desirable pet-qualities over the ages. What the human owner should count on, more often than not, are behaviors that are compatible with the jungle - but in their living rooms. This approach is most fair to the creature you are bringing into your home.
I have owned the bird species I mentioned above (african grey, cockatoo, and eclectus) and I'm aware I will be looking after my husband's bird even more so than him because I am a housewife and have no problem doing so. I know the work and expectations of having a large bird, I know the their tendencies, needs, and quirks and that every bird is an individual with different tendencies, needs, and quirks. I am thankful for all your advice but I'm really frustrated. I was asking a simple question and I wanted a simple answer, what species suits my husband? Please don't read my words in the wrong tone, I mean no ungratefulness but I'm not new to birds.

LaSelva

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
David
I understand but there just is no simple answer to that question. Especially when asking people to make a life choice for a person they don't know... no offense. It's not the same thing as asking "does this shirt look good on me?" People ask about the right bird for them all the time and arriving at any answer is a process. Everyone here is willing to give and take and offer advice. But no matter how much research we do we never really know what we're getting into. That's why people have to be open-minded - as I was trying to instill above.

So often people looking for a bird focus on what they want it to be. But if things don't go their way they can always throw the bird away. Then it's back into a cage somewhere, unloved. So I don't make any assumptions about what others may or may not know about parrot ownership by simply rattling off species names.

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
How would we know which bird would suit your husband? We don't know your husband. You did not describe his personality or what he is doing, if he plans on training and interacting with the bird or just have a bird that is around. I don't think that a hyacinth is that expensive considering it is very expensive in upkeep . Rescues don't need to be in your area, most rescues cover a huge area, a couple of states. The way they work is that members foster the bird and a coordinator responsible for your area will find you the right fit. That would help with costs too since the birds had a vet check and often the cage is given to you too. You could foster one of the large birds too to see if it is a fit for your family.
If you plan on moving and don't even know yet where to I would hold off on the bird. A move is stressful why add a bird? You don't know how much space you will have, your neighbors etc.

Pipsqueak

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I have owned the bird species I mentioned above (african grey, cockatoo, and eclectus) and I'm aware I will be looking after my husband's bird even more so than him because I am a housewife and have no problem doing so. I know the work and expectations of having a large bird, I know the their tendencies, needs, and quirks and that every bird is an individual with different tendencies, needs, and quirks. I am thankful for all your advice but I'm really frustrated. I was asking a simple question and I wanted a simple answer, what species suits my husband? Please don't read my words in the wrong tone, I mean no ungratefulness but I'm not new to birds.
What happened to the ones you owned? You might be able to answer your question best, which bird connected best with you? Which one was most interesting to you? Easiest to care for?

SamanthaAV

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
What happened to the ones you owned? You might be able to answer your question best, which bird connected best with you? Which one was most interesting to you? Easiest to care for?
Those are good questions I will ponder those thank you. As for what happened to them they were rehomed do to a divorce in my family, I was too young to keep but one and she too was rehomed when I moved out and started college. I don't plan on finding myself in a rehoming situation again.