• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird First Aid

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
Hi! I'll be rescuing a cockatiel or two in the future, and am wondering what I should include in a first aid/ emergency kit. I know the syringe and olive oil, bird safe baby food, but... That's about all.:ashamed1::oops: Also, in case of an emergency, any tips on syringe training? I've looked for video tutorials, but sadly, couldn't seem to find any. Thanks!

Gddmsam

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sam
A standard bird first aid kit should suffice along with cornstarch. I found target training to be quite useful with syringes. I know there is much more, I just have the basics and an A-vet 5 minutes away.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm thinking Barbara Heidenrich had a video about syringe training?

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
I would also include to the list Mizzely posted...

I also keep Liquid Band-Aid on hand. I use Band-Aid Brand as it has little smell. NO, THIS IS NOT THE BEST THING FOR A BIRD TO SMELL OR CHEW, but when your bird is in an emergency situation with bleeding, it does work and may be the difference between life and death.... just in case styptic powder and cornstarch don't work...

Heat Pad or Lamp Heat is very medicinal to birds, and a sick bird may not be able to maintain his body temperature until you can reach medical care. Ideally, some tub or small cage works best. Be sure the bird still has access to food and water easily. MONITOR how you provide heat so that you do not overheat your bird.

IODINE and/or BETADINE should be included to sanitize a wound.

You might think this next item is overkill, but I, unfortunately, learned the hardway...

My BIRD SAFE "MEDICAL" CARRIER is brand new and never used... it "sanitized" by comparison to their regular carriers and it is ready to go... I have clean towels and a heating pad that can be plugged into the car's cigarette lighter already set up in the carrier...

2 Avian Vet’s Phone Numbers and Addresses are written in indelible black ink the top of the carrier just in case something happens when I am not around, so people know who to contact and where to go without wasting precious time trying to track me down or figure it out.... my vets have my CC info on file God Forbid they need it!

BE PREPARED: emergencies with our pets happen when we least expects it!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
My Safe Bird Store has a great first aid kit that they sell. mysafebirdstore.com

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
Hi! Thanks for all of the tips and links you've included! I really appreciate the help I can get when needed here! :laughing2:

RachelM

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rachel Mayrhofer
Oh, and I just realized I couldn't find videos on a birds health check, not a first aid kit! Any ideas for what I should be checking for? Sorry for the confusion!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
are you asking what happens at a bird's wellness check up ?

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Manuka honey! It's a wonderful product.