• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

How long should it take to tame this bird?

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
He is a ringneck dove who currently cautiously takes treats from my hand as I put them in his closest "treat shute" (I make little shutes that collect treats closest to his perch.)
I'm if i picked him up he will sit for a little bit when kept near a surface to hop down on (in other words when he feels in control of the situation.) I try not to touch him unless he needs to be moved, the same goes for treats, which i try to place slowly on his little shutes, so he can accept them from my hand at an easier pace.
I was wondering how long it should take for him to be able to enjoy my company, as I feel bad that he has no mate to make him happy in the mean time.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It will take him as long as he needs :) There is no timeline, only patience on your behalf.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Asking how long it will take to tame a bird is like asking how long it will take to cross a country, from one side to the other. Are you walking? Biking? Taking a bus? Car? Train? Plain? How long is the country? Are you going straight through without any stops or will there be stops along the way to rest or view the countryside?

There are many variables when it comes to earning the trust of a bird, and so it can greatly vary depending on the bird and the person. :)