• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiels and budgies

RitaG

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rita Glasel
I have had Jet, my Cockatiel, since September, and Skye, my Budgie, since December. One thing I have noticed with regard to the two birds, is that the Cockatiel craves more attention and loves to be held, pet, and climb all over me. My Budgie, who is finger tamed and friendly enough, craves no attention, will come out of his cage but has no problem going back in as if he'd rather be back in there. My Cockatiel is the total opposite. He has a temper tantrum when I leave the room. lol My question (and I know this is generally as all birds are different) is do you think Cockatiels are more social and attached to their human friends. The other weird thing is I've always heard that Budgies are generally more aggressive than Cockatiels. While my Budgie could care less if I'm around, he is in love with my Cockatiel (who wants nothing to do with my Budgie). Would love to hear some opinions. :tiel3::princessblue:

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
I really depends on the bird. BeeBop is very social and definitely wants your full attention regardless of who you are. :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It all depends on the bird. All four of my cockatiels were hand raised. They all crave my attention, but in different ways. Twilight, one of my birds, just likes me to talk to him, and he really enjoys sittingon my shoulder. He is afraid of hands, so no scratches. Another of my birds, Sunset, also loves to sit on me, but only accepts scratches on her terms. Niko, another of my tiels, loves my husband, and she loves to just hang out on him constantly. She also really likes getting pet, especially from him. Cappuccino, my youngest tiel, loves scratches and demands them all the time.

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Buddy craves constant attention, and isn't always happy just being in the same room as us. If she know's we aren't home, however, she apparently settles down and plays on her own (my mother in law checks in on her while we are at work). It really does just depend.

Cheers!
Ben

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Marley and Omega (budgies) are a tightly bonded. (they're boys) They don't want any interaction from other avians or humans...period. Their cage door is open, and they can come or go as they please...but they don't come out very much. If any other bird would dare land on their cage, they will go on immediate "toe patrol"...trying to bite the offending bird to drive it away from their cage.

We have three tiels, all with distinct personalities. Sunshine is very attached to people, and comes over to sit on your shoulder. He'd stay there all day if he could. Igor will seek out human interaction...on his terms. When he is finished with what he came for...he leaves. Mocha is our "anti-social" tiel...not wanting anything to do with people. He is strongly attached to Igor. (again, both boys) When Igor is visiting with someone, Mocha always contact calls until Igor returns...jealous, perhaps?

I like the fact that everybirdie here can make up their own minds concerning the humans who live here...when and if they choose to interact with us...:)

RitaG

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rita Glasel
Thanks for your replies! These birds are really are amazing little creatures.