• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Quakers vs conures

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
Hello! im new to this forum, Im thinking about bringing home either a conure or a quaker (I have done around a year of research on how to properly care for a parrot) But i really can't decide, Can anyone experienced with conures or quakers give me some advice?

❤ Rosette ❤

Meeting neighbors
My family actually now has both a green cheek conure and a quaker.

Quaker
- Feisty personality (We often joke that he acts like a little dinosaur!)
- Territorial (Often nips and bites people near his cage.)
- Loud (He is unafraid to voice whatever emotion he is feeling, whether it be alarm, anger, or just excitement. He screeches often.)
- Good Vocabulary (He does, however, know quite a few words for a bird his size.)
- Very intelligent
- Not so cuddly
- Loves attention
- Probably better for someone in a home, not an apartment. (Once again, he's a loud little buggar.)
When thinking of a quaker parrot, imagine a larger bird's personality in a smaller package.
A quaker parrot may need a more experienced bird owner because of their personalities and such.

Conure
- Cuddly (Loves to be rubbed, and to nibble on our fingers.)
- Also adores attention
- Relatively quiet (She'll make loud-ish beep noises now and again, but she mostly just mutters)
- Playful and very silly
- Clever
We've had our Green Cheek for far less time than we have had our Quaker, so we don't know the species as well. A green check would probably be better for a beginner.

Both parrots are absolutely amazing pets and both of them are wondrous parts of the family. Whichever one you get should be the one more suited to your lifestyle and to your preferences.
(I've noticed that a lot of Quaker parrots are in need of a new home, so if you're looking to adopt, this may also be another factor for you to consider.)

ThatsFowlPlay

Hit the Road
Real Name
Jasmine
I have no experience with a quaker but I have fostered a Sun Conure.

I fostered a Sun Conure named Abu. He was around 3 months when I brought him home as his original no longer had the time for him. For a baby, man he was LOUD. Don't give him wants he wants, he would have his 'birdie tantrum.' He was a one person bird (which was me) and would yell at other people who dare enter the room. But he was a total sweet heart. Loved to cuddle and stitches. He could absolutely destroy a balsa block. So lots and lots of balsa toys. He was in a 32x22 cage which is a good size cage for him as he was a active birdie. Oh and did I mention LOTS OF TOYS. He was about a year old when I found him a permanent home.

otherwise Sun conures are:
-Loud
-very sweet
-very active
-need big cage
-LOTS OF TOYS!!!

Check out the conure court. It has the good, bad and the ugly on different conures.
Conure Court | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
@❤ Rosette ❤ Thank you for the advice, At first i was set on a quaker but recently I've been leaning towards conures, I'd want a very active silly cuddly bird (Which seems to sound like a conure rather than a quaker) Noise most likely won't be an issue for me considering i live in the desert where my neighbors are very far away from my house. Also - I havent been able to find much about this online... If a parrot is handfed/hand raised does that mean they will already know "step up"? Im just curious. because one of my favorite animators on youtube has a conure and she made a video of bringing him home, The bird immediately stepped onto her hand and that really confused me

Skipper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Scott Schifer

Quaker
- Feisty personality (We often joke that he acts like a little dinosaur!)
- Territorial (Often nips and bites people near his cage.)
- Loud (He is unafraid to voice whatever emotion he is feeling, whether it be alarm, anger, or just excitement. He screeches often.)
- Good Vocabulary (He does, however, know quite a few words for a bird his size.)
- Very intelligent
- Not so cuddly
- Loves attention
- Probably better for someone in a home, not an apartment. (Once again, he's a loud little buggar.)
When thinking of a quaker parrot, imagine a larger bird's personality in a smaller package.
A quaker parrot may need a more experienced bird owner because of their personalities and such.
Your Quaker is the perfect description of my Cinnamon Green Cheek Conure Gilligan. He is a good bird, you just have to understand his point of view.

Bird behavior varies all over the place so be warned.

jojomom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
mandy
I agree with Skipper. Each has their own personality. My daughter has a quaker that is the sweetest thing ever. He cuddles with anyone and is quiet most of the time. Never nippy even around his cage. He doesnt like my CAG but mainly stayed away from her.
I had a GCC that was the funniest little booger ever. She could be quite noisy at times. She was very playful and was seldom still.
Also birds can be so different in different environment. My coworker had an amazon that was so aggressive she couldn't handle her. We took the bird and within weeks she was a happy friendly bird. We found her a forever home where she started talking and singing and loved her new mommy. So to me environment matters as much as what type of bird.

Lwalker

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Each bird definitely has his or her own individual personality. I have two GCCs and they are the Odd Couple of the bird world. Watson is the straight man, serious and aloof while Cricket is a velcro goof-ball! I love them both for who they are but generalizations don't always apply. Guess which one is which - LOL

rps20170224_222428_294.jpg

❤ Rosette ❤

Meeting neighbors
@Peachyy - It really depends on who the breeder is and how well they've trained the bird.
Personally, I would visit a parrot adoption center. I understand you may not live by one, but if you're looking for a bird with specific behavior, you should meet them in person and get information from a fellow bird-enthusiast about that bird's personality and habits. This way you are pretty much guaranteed to have a bird that perfectly matches you, regardless of species. (Though, as jojomon has said, their disposition can alter in different environments, so keep that in mind.)

However, like the others have said, bird personalities vary immensely. You could find the cuddliest bird in the world and have them be a quaker, or the spunkiest, nippiest little dino bird and have them be a conure. First-person interaction is really key to determine a parrot's personality.

Whatever type you choose, I really hope that you find the right lil' kiddo for you. :)

Shriek

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Kevin
Yeah I think Rosette hit the nail on the head. It would be best for you to go find out first hand. I know a lady who owns a tattoo parlor out here and she has a quaker that is friendly enough to run the shop. It flew at me one day and she advised me to perch my hand out and sure enough the bird landed on me and just sort of chilled out and checked me out for a few minutes before fluttering off somewhere else.

I just recently got my first Sun conure and so far it is everything I hoped it would be. We named him/her Monkey and Monkey is a snuggle bug. He hasn't had any intentional training just yet but steps up without hesitation and has fluttered (wings are clipped) over to me twice just by me calling him. He sits on my head or shoulders for at least 2 hours and never bites. While all of this is great and I am over the moon for this bird I have to keep in mind that I am a first time owner and Monkey is a newly weaned bird who will likely go through some changes as he/she gets older. I think that's part of the commitment one makes in being a bird owner. Finding the right breeder/ adoption center and then the right bird and then being prepared to deal with the challenges that come down the road.

I hope you get a sweetie pie and live happily ever after. Looking forward to seeing pics.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman

karen256

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I've bird-sat for a quaker a few times, and she's very different from my GCC (though no doubt in part because she's in a new place).
Both birds came from local breeders and were well socialized, both are mature adults. My GCC is female and the quaker is suspected female (but never laid eggs or was tested).

My GCC is a pretty easy going bird, but she certainly can be playful and feisty at times and I would never call her docile.
The quaker on the other hand was extremely docile and gentle and didn't play (not even at home apparently - I've also heard from others that quakers often don't play with toys unless they are something that can be woven into a nest). The quaker was also louder than my GCC - not terribly loud though.
Honestly I prefer my GCC and her feisty, affectionate personality to the quaker's rather bland but gentle personality - on the other hand, I could sit with the quaker and work on her pinfeathers for an hour and my GCC would never let me do that.

LinnieLife

Walking the driveway
@karen256 Thanks for the advice! I think a more energetic bird would fit me better, apparently the rescue im going to is really good at finding the right bird for you. So we'll see what happens!