• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bringing a bird into a home with a cat.

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
BeeBop is a male budgie.:budgie: I don't have any other birds right now. I got him from a pet store that seems to always have healthy budgies. Not all pet stores are trustworthy though and I would agree that you should go to a breeder. But if you can find a good pet store than that could be an option.

Audrey S

Moving in
Real Name
Audrey Steinmetz
I see that Bee Bop sometimes walks free outside. Is he in an aviary in those pictures, do you have his wings clipped? We have a large pet store around here called That Fish Place. No one is ever in the bird area...ever! I would have to go find someone to see the birds. I heard of a big bird store in Delaware MD and I might take a trip there but the pickings are slim around here. It would be much easier to buy a bird from a pet store. I would like a baby though and I'm not sure how to tell that. When I got my Cockatiel years ago he came from a breeder 15 mins away. I have no idea if that person still breeds or not. I'll figure it out. I like your website.

BeeBop

No he's not in an aviary. His wings are clipped due to multiple reasons. He does have time in between clipping to fly, and I'm hoping that he can have free flight soon. Thank you, I'm glad you like my site! :) If you are getting a budgie you can tell by the baby bars. A budgie that is 4 months and under will have bars extending to the cere. A budgie over 4 months will show patches of solid color and the bars will molt away.

Audrey S

Moving in
Real Name
Audrey Steinmetz
Do you mind saying why his wings are clipped. I'm not opposed to it, I just don't know much about it. Thanks for the info about how to tell if it's a baby.

BeeBop

His wings are clipped because he did escape one time and we were lucky to find him. He also loves to go outside, when he can fly he goes to the doors because he wants to go out so bad. The main reason is because I feel it's too dangerous as someone could open a door unaware. I don't like clipping that much, but I would rather have him safe.

Audrey S

Moving in
Real Name
Audrey Steinmetz
Gotcha. I'm glad you found him. I will probably just keep mine caged when outside. Thanks again!

Crazy4parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
I honestly would never have a cat & a bird in the same home... that is a time bomb just like a dog with a bird...

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have a cat with birds. The first week she was here, she was wet most of the time. She was a rescue cat and I was the end of the line for her. Either she works with me or she's likely to be put down. I didn't feel too bad about spraying her with water ever time she so much as made a move toward a bird or looked like she might be thinking about it. She thought about it A LOT. I've had her for probably about 7 or 8 years now. She is absolutely under no circumstances trustworthy with little birds. Even with supervision, she just can't handle a fluttering parrotlet. The bigger birds, she is better with. I would not ever leave them out with the cat loose in the house, but she won't attack them outright and I don't see her tail twitching or eyes flashing when she looks at the big birds. For many years, I made sure to put her in a different room when I left because she would sometimes reach through the macaw cage and swat the long tail. With age, she's calmed enough so I'm not quite as careful about putting her in a different room. Although, when I'm gone, she's often on the enclosed front porch or basement just out of habit. I think your safer bet would be a bigger bird. But there again, you get into some behaviors that you said you didn't want to see. All of the bigger birds can come with an attitude. That attitude helps deter cats but also means it might try to sneak up on a toddler and take a bite. Plus the potential for screaming that comes along with big birds.

Vacationing with birds. If you are 100% sure you can keep the bird in a climate controlled area when you are not around, then I see no problem with going to the beach. However, there have been cases where pets have died because the air conditioner went out when the family left to do some shopping. Many of the larger parrot species travel well.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I have cats and birds. They are never allowed to interact. My birds are kept in a room that is inaccessible to the birds at all times, and when the birds are out, the cats are closed off into a separate room. It actually works out pretty good since the birds are active when the cats are sleeping anyways, so no one is being "slighted". One of my cats is 16 this year, was attacked by blue jays when she was a kitten and so was very fearful of birds, sleeps 20 hours a day, literally can't kill a mouse (not for lack of trying), and for years didn't pay my birds any mind, and yet started stalking them one day. So even the most docile, predictable cat can be a danger. I love my cats and birds both very much, and I would never want to feel the heartache of one of my babies killing another. So, they stay separated.

His wings are clipped because he did escape one time and we were lucky to find him. He also loves to go outside, when he can fly he goes to the doors because he wants to go out so bad. The main reason is because I feel it's too dangerous as someone could open a door unaware. I don't like clipping that much, but I would rather have him safe.

Just so you know, clipping will not prevent him from flying away. My mother in law found that out the hard way with her cockatiel. :( He wasn't even outside, he was on her shoulder and the wind took him off her shoulder when she went to let the dog in and he ended up MILES away - dead.

BeeBop

Just so you know, clipping will not prevent him from flying away. My mother in law found that out the hard way with her cockatiel. :( He wasn't even outside, he was on her shoulder and the wind took him off her shoulder when she went to let the dog in and he ended up MILES away - dead.
Oh, that's a shame. :( BeeBop can only fly a few feet. I've seen him try to fly and he can't get any considerable amount of height. As long as I make sure he can't fly before taking him out (and don't take him out on a windy day), would that be safe?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Oh, that's a shame. :( BeeBop can only fly a few feet. I've seen him try to fly and he can't get any considerable amount of height. As long as I make sure he can't fly before taking him out (and don't take him out on a windy day), would that be safe?

My mother in laws cockatiel couldn't even fly a foot. He had a terrible clip that made him drop like a rock. In my opinion all you are doing is giving yourself a false sense of security, and if he did get away, he won't have the control and muscle strength to keep himself safe.

BeeBop

Really? So in reality the only safe way is to take an aviator harness? He has a big cage outside, and I'm not sure how I would get him out there safely. I can quickly transport him from his smaller cage to the big cage but that wouldn't be fail proof.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Really? So in reality the only safe way is to take an aviator harness? He has a big cage outside, and I'm not sure how I would get him out there safely. I can quickly transport him from his smaller cage to the big cage but that wouldn't be fail proof.

Aviator, aviary, carrier, etc, yes. In the summer I just roll cages right out onto the porch with the bird inside. Or, I have also done it where I have the spare cage in the garage, bring the bird out into the cage in a carrier, and then roll out from the garage once secure.

I've also just let them enjoy the sunshine for a bit while in a carrier, no transfer required.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Hello! I have the same name as you- my last name even starts with S! Haha I also have a similar situation. My kitty is also 6 too! :lol:

It is as simple as this: bird stays in my room, unless cat is locked in a room then he can go upstairs. As a minor, I have school and many other things that keep me busy, but I am always sure to think of my bird. Whenever I am home, I am with him. It is a lot of work, but for me it is totally worth it :)

I am guessing that you don't have a bird yet, so I will recommend that you visit rescues to volunteer but to also maybe meet the right bird :)

As for taking camping: Do it! Many of our members here on AA do, and their birds love it. Harness training your bird would be awesome too, as you could bring them more places.
Please do not bring your bird outside if not wearing a harness or in a cage, even if their wings are clipped. They can still fly with a clip, my GCC could still fly amazingly. That doesn't even count for if they would be spooked, or catch a breeze, etc. A member in here recently had a 'tiel fly away. So please don't do that :)
If you have any other questions, just ask! I would be happy to answer :D

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I have and had cats with my birds for years ...I keep my cats in a separate room when the birds are out and they get the spray bottle if they get to close to the cages its the only safe way ...we have also partitioned the living room and the kitchen off for when the birds are out for extra security just to make sure nothing happens ...I have had small birds and big birds ..the cats were more interested in the smaller birds for sure ..they really dont seem to want anything to do with the bigger birds now but they are also older and dont have much interest in anything but treats and napping ...I would be on guard at first and have water bottle at the ready making sure the cat knows that the bird is off limits :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
And then there are people like me who just don't like dogs one little bit. I like cats and have had several, but I don't want one and won't restrict my Jasper's freedom, nor risk her safety by having one.

You know - different strokes for different folks.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
And then there are people like me who just don't like dogs one little bit. I like cats and have had several, but I don't want one and won't restrict my Jasper's freedom, nor risk her safety by having one.

You know - different strokes for different folks.
Ever since my Kiwi boy was killed by a dog... i do not trust predator & prey living together or separated in the same house accidents always happens!

Komandr

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Cristin
I'm really surprised that a forum that encourages positive reinforcement for birds continues to use negative reinforcement for cats :( They are only doing what is natural to them. If I said I squirted my bird with water everytime he screamed, people would have a field day.

Separation is good because it WORKS and it isn't a negative punishment.

Cat Behavior | Why Using a Squirt Bottle Doesn't Work
Why Spraying A Cat With Water Doesn’t Work (Do THIS Instead!) | I Love Pets
I separate my cats from my Pi, especially when she is out. Squirting them away from her cage does no good, and I wouldn't take her out with the cats roaming free, either.