• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Two Disabled Birds. In Need of Advice. (:

blynnrhodes

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Brooke
Hello!

I recently acquired two African Grey's from a friend who rescued them a few years ago and no longer has time for them due to having other birds as well. They are both set up with vet appointments this Sunday just to get an overall health and wellness check.
I will tell you each of their stories bellow. Currently I have them each in the same cages they came in as I have only had them for a couple of days. They are in separate cages but they are both set up the same way. They are in what appears to be a rabbit or guinea pig cage with a perch set up low to the bottom of the cage in case they fall. They each have a water bottle and a food dish that is attached to the side of their cage.

The first one is said to be about 12 years old. The story I was told is that she was attacked by a dog 10 years ago leaving her handicapped. She can use a perch but not easily and looses her balance often but not enough to fall or hurt herself. She cant turn around far enough to reach her uropygial gland and cant preen any of the feathers on the back half of her body. Aside from these challenges she is a kind and loving bird.
My questions about this girl are
1. Does anyone have experience with birds who cant reach their uropygial gland? What should I be doing for her to help compensate for that.
2. With her loosing her balance so easily are there any special perches or things you would recommend to make her cage be a better fit for her?

The second one is about 3 years old. The story I was told is that he was recused from a breeder who let him sit in his own filth as a hatchling so parts of his toes rotted off. This little guy is quite the character and is very well adapted. He uses his feet to swing around his cage like a little monkey. He has a REALLY hard time perching and needs something to lean against or to stand on a flat surface to keep him upright. He is not as tame as the other bird and is going to need time and patience to build a good relationship with me.
My questions on this little one are.
1. How can you teach a bird with little use of their feet and toes to step up or to be taken out of their cage comfortably?
2. Since he cant perch when he sleeps he sleeps on the bottom of his cage. Is there a type of bedding that would be safe to have in their for him to sleep on? I just worry about him shredding it or consuming it. I Haven't seen that behavior in him yet but you never know. Currently he has newspaper in the bottom of his cage as that is what they have been using the whole time they have had him. I just want him to be comfortable.

FOR BOTH BIRDS
Does anyone have experience setting up cages for special needs birds? I want them to have the best possible set up with as much enrichment as possible but I want them to be safe as well. I'm willing to do whatever they need to make their lives as happy as possible, they deserve it.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Welcome, I am sure others will have some ideas also but I'll throw mine out there.
Perches such as rope perches and natural perches with the bark on will have more texture for gripping. You may want to experiment with different diameters.
vet wrap could also be wrapped around perches for texture.
I'd also recommend platform perches. Bird-on-the-rocks makes flagstone ones but according to a recent post here I think the company is changing hands, so???
You can make your own wooden platforms or several vendors here sell them.... Things for Wings, and TweetyPies Bird Toys are two I can think of quickly.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Hello!

I recently acquired two African Grey's from a friend who rescued them a few years ago and no longer has time for them due to having other birds as well. They are both set up with vet appointments this Sunday just to get an overall health and wellness check.
I will tell you each of their stories bellow. Currently I have them each in the same cages they came in as I have only had them for a couple of days. They are in separate cages but they are both set up the same way. They are in what appears to be a rabbit or guinea pig cage with a perch set up low to the bottom of the cage in case they fall. They each have a water bottle and a food dish that is attached to the side of their cage.

The first one is said to be about 12 years old. The story I was told is that she was attacked by a dog 10 years ago leaving her handicapped. She can use a perch but not easily and looses her balance often but not enough to fall or hurt herself. She cant turn around far enough to reach her uropygial gland and cant preen any of the feathers on the back half of her body. Aside from these challenges she is a kind and loving bird.
My questions about this girl are
1. Does anyone have experience with birds who cant reach their uropygial gland? What should I be doing for her to help compensate for that.
2. With her loosing her balance so easily are there any special perches or things you would recommend to make her cage be a better fit for her?

The second one is about 3 years old. The story I was told is that he was recused from a breeder who let him sit in his own filth as a hatchling so parts of his toes rotted off. This little guy is quite the character and is very well adapted. He uses his feet to swing around his cage like a little monkey. He has a REALLY hard time perching and needs something to lean against or to stand on a flat surface to keep him upright. He is not as tame as the other bird and is going to need time and patience to build a good relationship with me.
My questions on this little one are.
1. How can you teach a bird with little use of their feet and toes to step up or to be taken out of their cage comfortably?
2. Since he cant perch when he sleeps he sleeps on the bottom of his cage. Is there a type of bedding that would be safe to have in their for him to sleep on? I just worry about him shredding it or consuming it. I Haven't seen that behavior in him yet but you never know. Currently he has newspaper in the bottom of his cage as that is what they have been using the whole time they have had him. I just want him to be comfortable.

FOR BOTH BIRDS
Does anyone have experience setting up cages for special needs birds? I want them to have the best possible set up with as much enrichment as possible but I want them to be safe as well. I'm willing to do whatever they need to make their lives as happy as possible, they deserve it.
The 12 Year old bird
There might be something else going one if they can't reach the back. My AG Cyd, doesn't reach her back anymore, I suspect it is arthritis. I preen her back feathers for her. Try misting and see if she is comfortable with it.
I think the long small animal cages are great for special needs birds. Platforms, split perches, really thick perches that are wrapped in fleece and secured with vet wrap.

If they have to hold on to cage bars to stay up right, I would definitely be getting a vet to recommend cage set up.

The young Grey
Get lots of fleece and cover the bottom of the cage with it, you can just wash it. They use it at the vet clinic. He will like it. Just watch for what is chewed. I think any bird needs to learn to trust you before they step up. Just take your time. Push a little into their comfort zone then back away if they look stressed.

fidsmom

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Platform perches are great, most of my birds have them, & they are nice as the birds have a flat surface to rest their feet, also flat perches are great too.I bought them from Things for wings, These kind of perches, would help your greys , be more comfortable.

Birdy_in_VT

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
For the baby who can't perch. does he/she sleep on it's belly? We had a handicapped grey who only lived a little over 4 years because he was on his belly 90% of the time and it caused respiratory issues.

blynnrhodes

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Brooke
Thank you everyone for the tips and advice. I am planning on asking the vet today about the proper set up for them as well. I just figured there is a vast pool of knowledge and experience on this site it wouldn't hurt to ask. It turns out the 12 year old CAN reach her back when she is on a flat surface where she is comfortable! I took her out yeaterday and she waddled over to the arm of the couch and was able to preen herself completely, she looked so happy!
Both of them can stand upright without leaning if they are perfectly still they are just quick to loose their balance. I will post what the vet says today as well as post some pictures of their cages after I am done fixing them up. :)
My question about the young bird in regards to coming out of his cage is he cant step up on me because of his balance. The older bird will grab my shirt sleeve with her beak and very slowly work her way onto my arm. Is that something he may do when he trusts me? He has tried to come to me before but its like he cant figure it out and gets frustrated.

Birdy_in_VT: He does sleep on his tummy ): What can I do if anything to help with that? I will also ask the vet today. :)

Thank you all for the help and advice you all are wonderful. I really appreciate it and I know the birds do too. I can already see a difference in their personalities. The young one likes to make dog noises now at 6AM because he knows it will get my dogs going and me out of bed so that means breakfast haha

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Thank you for taking on these handicapped birds, you are an angel. One of my friends had an Amazon with no feet and she, of course, spent a lot of time on her belly: it was the only way she could "perch". Her vet made an elevated trough-like nest for her that put most of her weight on the back third of her body when she perched and took the pressure off her chest and abdomen so Annie could breathe better when she perched. As far as I know Annie is still alive and kicking at 33 years old.

Birdy_in_VT

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kurt
We always thought a softer resting area was better so we had a memory foam and fleece bottom on his cage. In hindsight, we would have tried something like Laurul Feather Cat said....devise something that positions them off of their chest.

It's great that you've taken these babies in. Please keep us informed on how they are doing!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't have any additional advice to add but thank you for taking the Greys into your home.
What are their names?