• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Bird leashes. Yay or nay??

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
I rescued a lovebird about a month ago and I've helped nurse it back to health twice (see my other post if interested in my lovies backstory)
And summers coming up! Jellybean loves to be outside and likes car rides.
I know they sell bird leashes. I was wondering if I should use one for my little lovie when we go outside? (Since nice weathers coming up)
Or is it not a good thing to do? I know nothing about birds. But I'm trying to learn more and more for my lovie Jellybean.

BeeBop

Sprinting down the street
I haven't used a bird leash before but as long as you regularly inspect it for holes/tears and insure it is firmly on they shouldn't be a problem. The only thing I would be concerned about is if they try to fly off and the harness pulls on them. Their design is supposed to put equal pressure over the birds whole body so sudden stops aren't as forceful, but I don't know how well that works. Like I said I haven't used them before but I'm sure someone who has will pipe in.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
Yeah, I was concerned about equal pressure as well. I hope someone does pipe in! And possibly show me some leashes that they would trust their own birds in. :)
Thank you!

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It's usually a bit tricky to find ones that lovebirds fit. Aviator harnesses are one option. I have a flight suit from Avian Fashions with the lead, but Luna is terrified of it and Anakin isn't hand tame enough for me to try. You can buy one and try it out, but it might take a while to get him used to it and get it on. Aviator harnesses are probably easier to manage if you can find one small enough.

Another more expensive option is a Pak-O-Bird, which is basically a small cage in the shape of a back pack.

OscarTheAmazon

Meeting neighbors
If you want your lovie to fly outside I would get the Aviator harness size mini, It does pull them when they reach the end but slowly as its bungee cord and you can make it longer if you buy bungee cord of course and recall train her to fly long distances.Another option if you just wanna go for walks is the Flight suit and the leashes are short so she cant fly past your neck if shes on your shoulder lol.Oscar loves going to the park wearing his harness and flight suit together.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
Since I've only had Jellybean for about a month. I don't think he trusts me that much. But I know I could probably get it on him if I tried. He'd fight me. Definitely. But I think once he realizes he gets to go outside with it on he'll accept it.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
Idk. He doesn't really fight me. I think he just squirms a lot. Idk. It's weird. He doesn't show absolute untrust. But. He makes things difficult sometimes.
Like sometimes he bites the cage so it's hard for me to get him out. But sometimes he perches on my finger.

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Try not to force him into things. If he's gripping onto the cage, just leave him (except for when you need to medicate him obviously). As for the harness, I again would not force it. Go in small steps and reward progress with a treat. Sunflower seeds are good for this if he is motivated by them (seeds are a minor part of the diet for lovebirds, and sunflower seeds can be omitted and left out for treats / rewards).

AviaryByTheSea

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michael
I use harnesses when I take a bird to run errands or just go for a walk at the beach or boardwalk. Even though my birds have free flight experience, harnesses are a great tool for controlling your bird while outside, preventing unwanted flying at inconvenient times or locations. Be sure the harness is properly fitted and worn. Most important is that your leash or lanyard is not compromised and secured. DO NOT attach the leash to a loop on your pants. I actually attach the leash to a leather belt that I put on solely for that purpose.... allowing me the unrestricted use of my hands. IF I am not using the belt for some reason... I put my hand thru the loop of the leash and hold the cord with the loop around my wrist preventing the leash from slipping from my grasp. The harness and leash can be very dangerous if bird manages to fly away with it on... the leash can easily get caught or tangled a tree or power line... effective stranding your bird.

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Try not to force anything on JB if you don't have to. It will damage his trust and therefore your bond with him. You must allow your little friend to make his own choices whenever possible.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
I usually do let him do what he wants. In his other cage it has an open and closing door. So i just leave it open for Jellybean to go in and out of whenever. But sometimes I'll grab him for medicine or need to clean the cage and he'll bite it. So I just kinda chill for a second until he gives up. And with this smaller cage his in right now because he's still recovering the doors are sliding up and down doors so I can't just leave it open like his other cage.
But good to know. I don't want my little lovie to not trust me.