• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent My lovebird had a seizure yesterday

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
Okay good good.
and he keeps making scratching noises with his beak??
Sorry I never owned a bird before so it's behaviors are abnormal to me.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
Good!!!
He's being really bratty today. Keeps biting me?? I don't know what to do when he does that

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Okay good good.
and he keeps making scratching noises with his beak??
Sorry I never owned a bird before so it's behaviors are abnormal to me.
Beak grinding is a good thing. It means he's content. :)

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Good!!!
He's being really bratty today. Keeps biting me?? I don't know what to do when he does that
Haha. Welcome to owning a lovebird. It usually means you're doing something he doesn't like. Where is he biting? What to do can depend on context. Normally best to say no, put him down and ignore for a minute or two. Reward good behaviour, ignore the bad.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
My fingers. Mainly my thumb.
He likes to hide in my blankets but I'm laying down too so he keeps trying to bite fuzzies off my towel and I'll tell him no and after a while of him stopping and then doing it again I'll pull the towel away from him and he'll bite my thumb! I usually blow lightly on him and it distracts him and he stops but today he just is not stopping lol. I put him in his cage. I just don't know why he's being so sassy today.
Sometimes he loves me sometimes he doesn't. Lol

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I would definitely stop him chewing the fuzzy bits off, as that might end up building up in his crop and causing impaction. One possibility is to make the blankets less appealing by making other parts of the room more interesting (you could invest in a play gym or place perches and toys on the outside of his cage), but I suspect your best option is not having him in a room where your blankets are. You could also try distracting him with another toy, though it seems likely that he will keep trying to play blanket forts and getting mad at you when you try stop him. I'm also wondering if he is a she and he/she is being nesty, in which case you will certainly want to keep him/her away from the blankets.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
He very well could be a she.
I just call Jellybean a He probably out of habit. Since I just found Jellybean outside I have no idea if it's a boy or a girl. He doesn't do it with my blankets. Just towels?? I'll just have to keep towels away from jellybean.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Good plan. :) You should read through some of the threads in Lovebird Lane if you haven't already. There is some good advice in there on diet, toys, etc.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Even the female house finch baby we rescued, Beeper, ground her beak when happy, all birds do as far as I know. Hers went scritch... scritch... scritch because her beak was so tiny, she also sang the songs of her people which was a pleasant surprise to me one night:xflove:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
She was COMPLETELY bonded to us as she grew up so she stayed as part of the flock for a extra year and a half till she caught a chill that eventually took her from us:crycry:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Do you have a final diagnosis from the vet? If it was a stroke there may be some diet changes. Leafy greens contain Vit. K which helps to thicken the blood thus increasing risk of another stroke. Pleas ask you vet about this.

Jellybeans3369

Strolling the yard
@Dartman, I couldn't imagine!! That's so sad to hear im sorry for your loss :(
@Lady Jane , I brought Jellybean to the vets on Friday and she said she's pretty confident to say everything that happened to him was just from the metal (seizures, even his feet). I asked why she put me on the antibiotics and she told me because the metal causes their immune system to go down and she wanted to make sure he didn't catch anything and if he did it would fight it off.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Thanks, she had a very happy life with us and things happen. She got a year and a half that she wouldn't have if we didn't get her away from the crow on the roof that was going to have dinner. Sounds like your vet is being cautious rather then this is just a bird and this is what I do so she'll be fine it looks like and her feet working again with your help is a awesome sign of things to come. Love her and she'll return the favor the rest of her life and I bet she's grateful in her own way for you finding her and taking her into your family.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Lol, I think Jellybeans grateful. Sometimes she shows it. Sometimes she doesn't. But I heard that's just normal lovie behavior. Lol
It's totally normal. They have quite the attitude & freshness sometimes. :) They'll happily pinch you if you go against their will, but it doesn't mean they love you any less.

(Jellybean was probably flapping and carrying on so much post-bath because he missed bathing and because he's happy that his body is actually functional again.)