• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage for a Caique

mayden

Moving in
Real Name
Cat
Sigh, sorry all, but I was wondering if any of you could chime in on if you think this cage is appropriate or not.
I know people are generally of the attitude "the bigger the better!" but please hear me out.

My caique is in a tallish cage right now:

and realistically, I'd like to clear the "dead space" that is the bottom of his cage that goes unused, if any toys are down there, they get pooped on and then they have to be removed. I'm not able to clear this every day and I don't like the idea of just leaving it. I'd like to use the under cage area for storage of his things, box of toys, his blankets that we use to snuggle down in. Senna is going to be getting an aviary in come spring/summer time, and makes use of an aviator and a travel cage, so he's not a bird that's constantly confined to one cage, in one room, without stimulation.

We have just picked up this cage;

for when we visit my parents for a couple of days. That cage will live there and while we popped him in it while cleaning his big cage, I realised just how much more I do prefer having a slightly "less tall" (read: open space at bottom) cage. We undoubtedly feel that this cage is too small for a permanent cage, but we are hoping to find a more "meet in the middle" type. So we are considering this;

Rainforest Universal Flight Cage – Next Day Delivery Rainforest Universal Flight Cage

Lots of inside space still (I've done a table of a ton of cages comparing) and he is only losing 7cm depth, gaining 2cm width, and obviously losing some of the height - which is what I'm happy for him to lose. The bar spacing is more appropriate (lots of perches/toys for Senna's size are too small for the bar spacing which means they just fall off/I have to get bigger)

Senna will happily play in his cage all day long, he loves all his toys, loves playing on the cage floor, just right now it seems like such a huge waste of space that can be better used. Could anyone chime in with their thoughts please? Or other cage suggestions? I'm based in the UK so that makes it harder to find a cage I'm happy with!

Last edited:

Akoni

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
The cage you've linked looks beautiful, and very spacious. I prefer flat top or play top cages because you can hang toys inside more easily, and also place some perches and toys outside so they have a place to stand and play when they're let outside their cage.

Just some things to consider: You'd probably want to remove the plastic feeders and buy something stainless steel.
I can't find the bar spacing; it should be less than 2 cm. (Edit: just saw that you wrote that you thought the bar spacing was appropriate- never mind!)
It also appears to be out of stock.

mayden

Moving in
Real Name
Cat
The cage you've linked looks beautiful, and very spacious. I prefer flat top or play top cages because you can hang toys inside more easily, and also place some perches and toys outside so they have a place to stand and play when they're let outside their cage.

Just some things to consider: You'd probably want to remove the plastic feeders and buy something stainless steel.
I can't find the bar spacing; it should be less than 2 cm. (Edit: just saw that you wrote that you thought the bar spacing was appropriate- never mind!)
It also appears to be out of stock.
Thank you! I also prefer flat tops, but I've always had something that is rounded and it is so annoying trying to hang things, I could pop his play stand on top of it too :). The plastic feeders will definitely be coming out, my little dude isn't cage aggressive so don't need swing feeders, but metal dishes will be put in for sure. Bar spacing is around 1.2cm - which will be much nicer for him to clamber around on too! Thanks for the feed back!

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I think the second one should work. Is it just for visits to you mother? It should be great then.

mayden

Moving in
Real Name
Cat
I think the second one should work. Is it just for visits to you mother? It should be great then.
The second one is just for visiting family - he usually just has a travel cage if we're going somewhere overnight, but we're now starting to stay for a little longer and it's not fair on the little dude to be stuck in that. :) We've had a few people tell me about the cage that I'm interested in, and their caiques that are in that, so I think I'm going to buy it! Thanks for your input guys!