• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I am so confused about my new U2...

gummyfoxes

Moving in
(no pics/vids yet unfortunately as I am on a work computer)

I recently adopted a 'too off craigslist. I was initially reluctant because I also have a baby african grey coming in later in march, but the family was really desperate for an experienced owner and a good home for their bird due to unfortunate circumstances. I decided to at least meet the bird. She is an umbrella cockatoo, super beautiful and friendly. She hopped right into my arms when I first visited her and as there were no other candidates the family felt safe with, I caved and took her in. I couldn't bear to see such a sweetie go into a bad home and be traumatized.

For more context, I have fostered another cockatoo for 8+ months, a sulfur-crested 'too who was a little devil with his own neurotic habits but I adored him nonetheless and he was the reason why I completely changed my mind about big birds (I used to be so scared of them! but now I've reached the level of calm respect with those mighty beaks). I have also fostered/owned many smaller birds and consider myself fairly experienced for my age (which, unfortunately, is still young. I can't wait to retire and be an old bird lady with a giant flock of my own). While I have warned the family I adopted from that I may need to re-home her if i get totally demolished by medical school sometime in the future (i have a lot of contingency plans against this including the support of my family and a friend who is the godmother to my birds, but who knows?), I was pretty sure I could be a good steady home for her for the next year at the very least.

So back to my concerns. This little bundle of joy came to my home recently. Her cage is still a little undersized, but I plan on correcting that as soon as my next paycheck comes in. She has settled really well, but I am concerned regarding some of her medical issues. She has a crooked beak which the previous owners have already informed me about and she gets a good trim every few months at a very good avian vet I also visit. But she also always seems to have her mouth open? It's very odd and none of my previous parrots have ever done that before.

She also has some missing toes. Sometimes it seems like she has difficulty grasping things with her feet. She prefers not to. But she does still have a fairly strong grip when she perches on my arm. The previous owners are unaware of how her toes were injured. She has apparently gone through several owners. The previous owners got her from a breeder who was trying to mate her, but she was having none of it. Before that, I'm not sure.

I just had them transfer the vet records. I was really going to prefer checking the vet records before I adopted, but admittedly things were a little rushed because the family seemed very sincere and I took their word that she was healthy if not with her little flaws. Supposedly the beak thing was from chewing her cage? As my previous foster cockatoo had a half missing beak and two missing toes, I honestly don't mind small beak or toe deformities.

I'm just wondering how I should approach the vet about this. As I currently work in the medical field, I know the standard is that information can't be transferred on the phone. I'm guessing I should go in person? I unfortunately also can't go for another 2 days due to the practice being closed on sundays and my work schedule. How worried should I be about her symptoms? I know since she's gotten along fine for 6 years already she isn't about to keel over and die, but I have recently grown super paranoid after researching a lot of avian diseases.

Side Note: She's so sweet and gentle and like the polar opposite of my old foster 'too that I'm kinda baffled at her existence LOL

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Welcome to Avian Avenue, here is a check list for your review. Hope this helps till you see the Vet .

Credits = Parrots Naturally

Signs of A Sick Bird | Parrots Naturally

Signs of A Sick Bird

Post this on your refrigerator and read it every morning.

Examine every bird in your care, every day and answer the following:

• Is my bird looking as perky as he or she did yesterday? Are the eyes as bright and wide open as yesterday? Are the eyes closed or squinting? You are the best judge of your bird’s general well being. Changes in energy level, vocalization patterns or unusual behaviors such as unwillingness to “step up” when he or she is usually eager, may be subtle signs of an illness. He or she may also be telling you that “I vant to be alone, This is my day to cocoon!” If this change in behavior persists more than 24 hours, you definitely need to seek veterinary advice.
Are there any changes in the appearance of my birds droppings? Are there as many droppings as usual? Are there any unusual colors in the droppings? Look for lime green or iridescent yellow. These colors could be signs of an infection or liver problems. But don’t panic! A single dropping doesn’t mean anything. A pattern observed over a couple of days may be significant. Remember that the amount of liquid is directly related to the water content of the diet. If you are feeding primarily vegetables and fruits you will observe loose droppings. Also don’t panic if you see red droppings after feeding something red. Colored pellets may also add color to the feces. A single dropping doesn’t mean anything, but a pattern can be significant and if it persists you must call your Avian Vet.

Does my bird have a pasty vent? This is a simple exam that every bird owner can do. If your bird is used to you holding him or her upside down, you will find it really easy to examine the vent. There should be no sign of feces adhering to it or anywhere on the underside. If you’re not sure what to look for, be sure to ask your vet or breeder. Even if you can’t hold your bird on the back, get down and check out the underside. Pasty vent is usually easily observable and is almost always a sign of infection. Call your vet and discuss your observations.

Is my bird fluffed? This is a most important indicator of a sick bird. Birds normally fluff when they nap or sleep, or if the room is too cold. However, a bird that sits in the corner of his cage and acts uncharacteristically lethargic may be showing subtle signs of illness that require prompt medical care from your avian vet. If a bird is fluffed for more than a few hours it is probably sick and requires prompt medical care from your avian vet.

Is my bird wheezing or sneezing? All birds sneeze occasionally and this is probably However, wet sneezes are usually not normal, unless your bird has bathed or immersed its head in the water crock. Repeated wet sneezes require prompt medical care from your avian vet. Wheezes, unusual whistling noises, and noises you observe as your bird breathes are usually signs of a respiratory problem that requires prompt medical attention from your avian vet. These problems include:

1. Blockage of the air passage because a parrot has inhaled a seed, toy part or even a nutshell fragment. Many sudden deaths of otherwise healthy birds have resulted from such a blockage.
  2. Fungal infections including Aspergillosis are extremely debilitating to a parrot. Sometimes these infections have been longstanding and your bird may have been suffering from the ravages of these infections for a long time before you observe symptoms. Immediate treatment is needed to save the infected bird. Remember that fungal spores are circulating in most of our homes.
Are the nares (nostrils) clean? Or is the beak encrusted?—There should be no mucus or discharge around the 2 small openings above the beak which equates with our nostrils . Sometimes when a bird has an upper respiratory infection, you may even see mucous bubbling around the nares as the bird breathes. Another indicator of a respiratory infection may be a dry, crusty buildup on the beak. If any of these conditions are present your bird requires prompt medical care from your avian vet.

Is my bird’s tail bobbing in rhythm with its breathing? Tail bobbing is usually associated with breathing difficulties. Such a subtle behavior requires that you watch your bird carefully. This condition requires prompt medical care from your avian veterinarian.

All birds, including our parrots are masters of masquerade. This is because they are preyed upon in the wild and like all weakened animals they will be the first choice of predators. This is why they try to mask any sign of slowness or illness and why we must look so closely and learn to recognize subtle signs and indicators. Often, when a bird lets down his or her guard and shows signs of illness, the situation is critical. This is why we must safeguard their health, monitor health status, and provide prompt medical care.

Last edited:

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Is the open mouth caused by her deformed beak? Might be natural for her condition.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Welcome. When you say recently, just how long is that? Thank you for taking this bird even if you're only a stepping stone to a better life. It sounds like you have a good understanding and some experience with the situation.

She has a crooked beak which the previous owners have already informed me about and she gets a good trim every few months at a very good avian vet I also visit. But she also always seems to have her mouth open? It's very odd and none of my previous parrots have ever done that before.

This is called "scissor beak". It was caused by improper hand feeding techniques when the bird was very young. This is a permanent deformity that is actually quite common in cockatoos because they are all hand fed and there's a lot of bad feeders out there.

She also has some missing toes. Sometimes it seems like she has difficulty grasping things with her feet.

This most certainly happened in the breeding situation by another bird. Very sad but also the reality of how birds are cockatoos are bred.

I'm just wondering how I should approach the vet about this. As I currently work in the medical field, I know the standard is that information can't be transferred on the phone. I'm guessing I should go in person?

Records or not the bird needs to see your vet anyway for his own prognosis and evaluation.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The beak not closing is also pretty normal for cockatoos because of its shape. A cockatoo does not need to completely close its beak to seal its mouth/throat. This is done with the tongue. The back of the tongue is moist where the saliva is and the taste buds are. The front of the tongue is dry and basically a finger.

A lot of this in your case depends on how bad this scissor beak is. It can be slight or very bad. It would be nice to see a picture.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Thanks for saving the sweetheart...pics please...

:fairy2:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm sure that if you are in medical school, you have been told not to look for a zebra in a herd of horses. As @JLcribber said your bird should go to the vet for a well bird check, you will then know where you stand and have a baseline for the future. Many, many birds live with a lack of toes and do just fine - I know mine does. I will defer to John on the question about the beak being open, but my GW has hers open sometimes and closed sometimes. It's more important to watch her breathing for heavy, fast or struggling to breath.

Keep in mind that you and she may still be in the honeymoon period and when she becomes more comfortable in a new place you may find out why she has had several homes.

gummyfoxes

Moving in
Here's a pic of her. Thank you all for the helpful advice. I managed to call the avian vet's office and found she was actually overdue for her physical per her records, so i was able to schedule her an appointment this upcoming monday at 4. Hopefully they have some baseline for her previously and will be able to provide more information/advice

I've only had her for 3 days so i wanted to let her have more time to settle before potentially traumatizing her with a vet visit, but it is necessary since she is so overdue

I would welcome her being a little more confident if not naught, I'm not used to having such sweet well behaved birds lol

Attachments

gummyfoxes

Moving in
I guess another odd thing is she tends to breath fast / pant when i pet her in the most nonsexual way on the top of her head. I've never had my previous cockatoo exhibit that behavior but maybe because he was male and she is female? I've tried to limit stimulating her to that extent

Extra fun pic

Attachments

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Yes she has a slight scissor beak. Tika has about the same deviation. It will probably need a little trim now and then on the bottom beak on one side as a point will develop there. I don't have to trim Tika's because he ends up snapping it off on something when it gets too long. She may do the same. Only time will tell.

Just an FYI. Scissor beak always deviates the same way because of the way they are hand fed. Feeding is always done in the right side of the mouth causing the scissor beak to the left.

Tim

Avenue Veteran
John, are cockatoos more susceptible to that?

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
I guess another odd thing is she tends to breath fast / pant when i pet her in the most nonsexual way on the top of her head. I've never had my previous cockatoo exhibit that behavior but maybe because he was male and she is female? I've tried to limit stimulating her to that extent
She is precious , hopefully she will have a clean bill of health, her asymmetrical bite is not interfering with her quality of life. I hope she continues to be a good girl for you. as you probably know , it's tempting to allow them to be attached to you like Velcro...But in the long term you will create a needy bird. Handling time should be limited, for her . allow her to keep herself occupied, with safe wood to chew.

Good luck!

Keep us posted,

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
John, are cockatoos more susceptible to that?
That I'm not sure of. I know the main reason you see it in cockatoos a lot is because just about every TOO out there was torn from its parents, hand fed and human imprinted. The numbers alone would result in a lot of scissor beaks.

gummyfoxes

Moving in
She has been taken to the vet and so far has a clean physical exam, but I'm still awaiting her blood tests/culture results. She's eating her pellets fine but she has lost 10 grams since her last visit...maybe due to stress? The vet said it's not too concerning, I'll keep monitoring her weight as I have a scale of my own

The only thing really "wrong" with her atm is she is veeery easily sexually stimulated and has a slightly loose cloaca (perhaps from the stimulation?). Probably because her old family pet her however, even telling me they pet her under the wing. I've already educated my family about that and now that she's on a 12 hour sleep schedule it's improved.

As for the independence thing... I leave her outside her cage on most days as her cage is very undersized and she is okay as long as someone else is in the room to keep an eye on her (usually my grandpa just stays in the living room watching TV). We're getting a larger cage by this weekend so she can learn to play in a cage alone, but in her current cage she can't even fully spread her wings so I can't in good conscious let her stay in it for any long period of time other than for sleeping. She also doesn't really play with most of her toys...on occasion she will play footsies with some acrylic rings, but that's it...she also really enjoys licking the cage?? Like literally just grabbing the cage in a location with her beak and poking her tongue at the powder coat for several minutes at a time. I've tried to divert it by wrapping streamers and other toys around the bars but then she'll push them away/chew through them to get to the coat. I guess chewing through them is a little progress though...on occasion she will also play with a foraging wheel but I haven't found any treat she's crazy for to get her to play with it on her own without me holding it up to her and encouraging her. She just tosses the treats to the bottom of the cage or beaks on the remnant shell of the nut more than the nut itself.

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Have you tried just actual wood? They really like to chew, so make sure some of your toys are wood, things she can destroy, etc. There are a lot of vendors here who can help you find some appropriate wood toys for her size, or you could get someone to cut some untreated pine for you in 'slices'.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats on your U2 and thank you for taking her into your home. My Goffin's loves destroying wood. She also likes problem solving toys. Things that she needs to figure out how to open in order to retrieve a treat. Be patient with getting her to play with toys. I can put something new in my Bare-eyed's cage and it might take her many months to finally decide that it's safe and something fun to play with. My Goffin's is more accepting of new toys.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sounds like things are as good as you could expect really. Onward and upward.

she also really enjoys licking the cage?? Like literally just grabbing the cage in a location with her beak and poking her tongue at the powder coat for several minutes at a time.

This is probably caused by spending a lot of time in that cage in the past with nothing else to do but hang on those bars and stare out. A coping mechanism to relieve boredom. (a stereotypy behaviour like pacing in zoo animals)

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
Being outside the cage is good, with supervision, Cockatoos love to chew wood, moreover playing with toys , I have found this with my own. There are always exceptions to this rule.

10 grams could be significant if bird was underweight or within normal range. What was her starting weight?

When blood chemistry panels come in hopefully all will be good.

gummyfoxes

Moving in
So update, I had a complete vet visit about 2 weeks ago now and found out my bird had a crop+cloaca infection plus abnormal liver enzymes. She is going to be on antibiotics and some medication for her liver (milk thistle + lactulose or someting?). After some struggles with antibiotics and salvation via learning my bird is crazy for almond butter, she is almost finished with her course of antibiotics and is going to have a recheck this Friday.

For the toy thing, I have a lot of wooden toys for her to play with but she is only mildly interested and for like less than a minute at a time. She has finally taken to some of her toys but still prefers watching or just sitting around with family members. I have offered her all sorts of wood chips and she chews on them (if at all) for less than 30 seconds before dropping them and doing something else. She does like foraging activities...kinda. She just likes opening things and then discarding the food treat because she's not in the mood, but that's something at least? She's been licking her cage less now that we have a new cage for her with a second play gym. Toy recommendations would be appreciated.
She's around 550 grams right now