• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Greenwing Advice

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
I agree that since Vader has been sick, that putting him near other birds isn't a good idea. If Vader was strictly kept separate, then maybe. Although, I could only recommend indoors only, until he's healthy and his immune system is built up. Introducing him to the outdoors when he's sick could result in more stress, which isn't good for him. (that is, if the goal of the program is to train him for outside time)

Flight training has nothing to do with the bond you have with your bird. It *might* help, but even having the strongest bond possible with a pet bird doesn't guarantee that bird will come back.

Yep. That is exactly what happened with Joey. She caught a gust of wind and didn't know how to maneuver. It's one reason I've thought about an actual training program.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
@Joey wade how is Vader doing these days ???
He's good. He's eating some pellets and seeds pretty well now so I eliminated the lunch feeding a few days ago. Now he doesn't want to take formula in the morning either so it might be going away soon too if he keeps fighting it. I'm so relieved to see him actually eat food on his own now.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
that sound like huge improvement I am so glad. remember it's baby steps for new foods, little bits of something new with thing he already likes.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Glad that Vader is doing well now after such a rough start. They do wean on their own time.

He will be a joy to you

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
He's doing good. Eating quite a bit on his own now. I'm giving 30-40cc mid morning and then another 50 at night. Found some Harrison's pellets that I add into the Zupreem/seed mix. He's finally enjoying corn on the cob now too. Making more chop tomorrow I hope.

He is still doing those head jerks that worry me, but at this point I guess it's just normal. I dunno.

Two questions for you guys.

1. Think it's safe to move him to Joey's room yet? I'm having tiling work done in a week or so and will need him to go up there anyway to escape any potential fumes.

2. Should I be reducing any of the feedings? He's definitely eating more on his own and I find that I usually have to chase him down and really try quite a bit to make him eat until night time. Even at night, he only takes the formula if he's just been woken up. Otherwise he just wants to play.

IMG_6702.JPG

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Wow - he's looking great. Look at those shiny brightly colored feathers.

I'd say it's ok to move him to Joey's room, if he is no longe showing any signs of infections.

@Macawnutz is the expert on baby birds, but I would think you can cut him down to the night feeding. That is their longest time without food.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Wow - he's looking great. Look at those shiny brightly colored feathers.

I'd say it's ok to move him to Joey's room, if he is no longe showing any signs of infections.

@Macawnutz is the expert on baby birds, but I would think you can cut him down to the night feeding. That is their longest time without food.

We think alike. :laugh:

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
WOW LOOK at HIM. he looks great. so healthy. YAY :cheer::cheer::cheer: you have done such a good job getting him well again..

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
DMG arrived today.. can I mix it in with the formula along with the probiotics?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
See if he'll take it straight first. Charlie, my mitred conure, will suck the syringe dry if it's got DMG in it!

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
same here with Sweet Pea.

Joey wade

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Joey wade
Bottle says 1 drop per 100 grams. So about 10 drops.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
the article above says one drop is 5mg.