• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My journey with Pellets/feeding 2 Macaws

2macshan

Strolling the yard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I began my feeding journey when I got my first macaw in Jan 2015 as a weanling. He is a blue and gold macaw. (Both birds are fully flighted btw). I am a biologist/scientist and after reading what I feel like was the ENTIRE internet, upon getting him I switched him to what I thought was the healthiest diet possible. Harrison's High Potency, many fruits/veg(sprouts) daily, and tree nuts(we tried to offer TOPs but he wouldn't eat those-yet). We had him on this diet for 9 months. He was seriously a crazy bird. SO MUCH energy- too much. So high strung all of the time. So many playful but very painful bites. So many HOLES in ALL of our clothes. He was a flying Tasmanian devil. He barely would touch his veggies as he preferred the HHP, fruits, and nuts. Keeping fruits, veggie attempt, and nuts the same we switched to Harrison's Maintenance - we fed both peppered and reg. We noticed a slight decrease in his craziness(not much though) and fed this way for a few more months. Then we found a cool group with a different feeding style and at this point we would try ANYTHING to have a more manageable bird. We tried to feed a mostly veggie chop in the morning and ZUPREME at night. I really dragged my feet trying zupreme b/c I feel like the ingredients are inferior/just corn. Our bird loved them and was a tiny bit better than on HHP but still not eating chop. (At this time we did try 1 bag of ROUDYBUSH and he would choke on these. I think it was my bird not the pellets but w/e we didn't re-puchase.) Finally this April we got our second bird, at the time he was 8 months- a scarlet macaw. He cam from a GREAT breeder already eating chop like a champ, sprouts, etc. He was SO much CALMER like a normal bird. He came with some GOLDENOBLES. We ordered some Goldenobles, more TOPS, and put our foot down. After much trial and error and considerable research as a scientist, the new diet that has turned my CRAZY blue and gold into a still energetic but now manageable cuddle bug is as follows:

7:00 am: 1/2+ cup 99% vegetable(cooked) and sprout chop- I add a small bit of low sodium salt
Free choice TOPs
1 scoop Equa Holistics Probiotics(these had their own incredible impact but that will be a different post). Maybe a sliver of fruit if yesterday was a "good day."

4:00 pm: Free choice access to Goldenobles, still has access to TOPS, I also offer quinoa, brown rice, and some sort of fruit.

occasional evening training: tree nuts or other treat

7-8:00 pm "bed time": A couple more tree nuts (wow - bedtime is fun now! :p )

Our scarlet gets a much more relaxed feeding regimen and right away in the a.m. will get TOPs, Goldenobles, brown rice/quinoa with his chop, and some nuts. He is also a leaner bird and calmer in general.

I think Harrison's was not working for my B and G bc is was TOO delicious to him. He would literally hold out and starve himself with a bowl of chop in his cage waiting for more Harrison's. Now that all of his foods are slightly more bland, he is happy to eat everything as it tastes a bit better to him. (I AM THE SAME WAY. I eat bland and my food is all pretty good. If I go eat a steak- the next day my tilapia just makes me sad.)

Thank you for reading my post and I hope my analysis and thought process on why this works is helpful to someone else with a difficult/high strung bird or chop avoider. If anything, it is just one more method of getting great results and keeping healthy birds!

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Thank you for sharing. We all seem to hit obstacles with our birds' likes and dislikes.
It's nice to see someone has found the right regime for their birds :)

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
why do you add salt to the diet? I've always heard to avoid salt.

2macshan

Strolling the yard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Let me preface and say I do NOT recommend things like potato chips or crackers as that is a ton more salt than I feed and they are bad. I add a tiny bit of low sodium salt(sodium chloride/ potassium chloride LoSalt: The healthy low sodium alternative to salt
for a few reasons
1) my b&g is a shower addict. At least 30 min 6 days a week. While in there he drinks A LOT of water. Fills his crop- it's his thing. Doing that depletes electrolytes(salt)
2) It tastes good to him and he eats his chop better
3) In the wild birds fly long distances for salt/minerals. Why fight nature? In the horse world, we leave out large salt licks for them free choice. It's a vital nutrient for all living things and so many bodily processes.

Not enough salt is just as bad as too much. In my mind, if I gave him a tiny bit too much he will get thirsty and drink more water to balance out- not enough and what will he do? Drink less? No - he will just be deficient. Imagine after you eat a salty meal- you are thirsty. Nature is easy like that. :)
I do not give them a lot but I do give them some- I hope that helps?

Last edited:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Giving salt sounds like you could skip the process and just buy manu blocks for your macaws. They could then possibly eat what they want when they want. Unless they would have more fun destroying it than consuming it...

2macshan

Strolling the yard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't really like manu blocks... There really is no way to know what is in them.

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I would love to feed TOPS but have never tried it. Was it hard switching to? I have a blue and gold that's 3 that was on an all seed diet-right now I have him on Zupreem and he has really taken to it. I would like to phase in something better though. I do love Zupreem just for the fact that seed eaters take so easily to it.
I have roudybush which I crush and sprinkle on chop/warm foods.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I would love to feed TOPS but have never tried it. Was it hard switching to? I have a blue and gold that's 3 that was on an all seed diet-right now I have him on Zupreem and he has really taken to it. I would like to phase in something better though. I do love Zupreem just for the fact that seed eaters take so easily to it.
I have roudybush which I crush and sprinkle on chop/warm foods.
The problem with TOPS is that it has no vitamin D. If you decide to use that pellet as the only pellet, he would need to get unfiltered sun light regularly.

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
B&G's are known to be high energy species and granted, every bird is different, could you be misreading his energy level for what you have in your mind's eye how much energy he should have and then turning around and attempting to 'control' it with food?

I picture a little old lady who only drives to church on Sunday buying a Tesla P90D (155 miles per hour) then claiming the car is too fast for her. :rofl:

I grew up in a home where things were 'bland'. I still remember to this day going my an Aunt's house and she had SALAD DRESSING for the lettuce. Never heard of that! It was great! After that my mother's idea of a 'treat' was mixing a little mayo with ketchup and putting that on lettuce. Geez

If you choose to eat bland meals go for it but please don't take away a food because it is 'TOO' delicious for him.