• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Maybe sooner ....

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So I got an email from Meikas Birdhouse last night and they have a Goffins they want me to meet ...they are getting Harley in on Monday ...Sooooo...I hope I can go as soon as next week to meet him ...I would love it if we get along ..even though I still pic love "Whitey" ..It would be great to get Harley ...I dont know anything about him just yet but Im sure he is great ...I was thinking all week that I needed to get things in shape ..super clean my house and get the new cage set up... get Tyrion and Lagatha cages all neat and tidy for company ..and as it turns out I was right I will have someone come out and check the house out ..oh Im so excited ..I hope everything works out :fairy2:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:yah:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
So exciting! :goodluck:

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope everything goes well! :fingerscrossed: Were you also meeting Whitey at some point? (Sorry if I missed this somewhere!)

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I hope everything goes well! :fingerscrossed: Were you also meeting Whitey at some point? (Sorry if I missed this somewhere!)
I was hoping to meet "Whitey" this spring when they were going to send him from BC ..but maybe they wont have to send him if Harley and I hit it off ...this is all so exciting ..I cant wait till Monday to learn more about Harley :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Best wishes on a Coffin's cockatoo. I have only seen ne before and he was a real winner! Had the best behavior and loved all the attention.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Fingers crossed everything works out...:fingerscrossed: :)

EllaMay

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
April
How exciting! :fairy2:Hope the meet and greet goes smoothly for you both! :)

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So Harley is at the rescue now and I have gotten some news about him ...he is 13yrs old and seems to be very sweet ...cuddles ..steps up ..wants sritches ...and seems very well handled with the staff ...but the down side is he use to live in a smokers home so his color is off white from the smoke and he smells of smoke they are giving him a bath today ..so the rescue is going to do some xrays on him when they do his wellness check just to make sure his lungs are healthy ... I wonder how long a bird can live in a smoking environment before they have problems ...and what problems might I find for the future ...I dont know when I should go visit because the rescue is 3 1/2 hours from my home ..should I go right away and as often as I can until I can take him home ...they told me the process can take a month before they let him go to a forever home ...Im hoping they can push the process along so he doesnt have to stay there any longer than necessary ... :handup:

I got his cage all ready for him ..Im hoping that it will fit into my room for quarantine if not he will have to spend the 60 days in a smaller cage but thats ok he will get out of cage time ..Im really very excited about him coming to live with us I just hope it all works out ..its going to be a HUGE let down if something messes this up for me ...from talking to one of the staff he sounds like he will fit in well at our home ..I keep praying that he will become apart of our flock and no one will get there feathers ruffled about him ...I will show you guys a pic of him later when I get home from work ..he is such a cutie :fairy2:

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
I hope the xray goes well and there is no residual damage. Best of luck with everything!!

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Good luck! I hope it goes well!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope all goes well and Harley is given a clean bill of health. My YNA came from an environment where there was a smoker. She is OK. I don't remember whether or not he smoked near the birds but there was definitely smoke in the house. If you take Harley make sure that the cage is escape proof. Goffin's are excellent at getting out of their cages on their own. Try to get over there as soon as you can so you can see if there is any connection between you and Harley and if there then you can get the adoption process started. Good luck.

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Hope all goes well and Harley is given a clean bill of health. My YNA came from an environment where there was a smoker. She is OK. I don't remember whether or not he smoked near the birds but there was definitely smoke in the house. If you take Harley make sure that the cage is escape proof. Goffin's are excellent at getting out of their cages on their own. Try to get over there as soon as you can so you can see if there is any connection between you and Harley and if there then you can get the adoption process started. Good luck.
Have you found any problems later in life with your YNA from the smoking ..no respiratory problems ...or anything like that ...I was thinking I would go there this weekend if the weather is good ..spend some time with him ...Im very excited :)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I know how you feel with a ready cage and waiting for a bird. I hope very much he is healthy and stays that way. We aught to wear a T shirt that says If you smoke don't have a bird in your home!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I know how you feel with a ready cage and waiting for a bird. I hope very much he is healthy and stays that way. We aught to wear a T shirt that says If you smoke don't have a bird in your home!
I know ...I am worried that he may have issues due to the smoking ..or that some may come up later in life ...I cant believe that people smoke when they have birds in their home or any animal for that matter ..when I smoked I smoked outside even when it was -30C because I wasnt about to injure my kids or my animals ...but when I was young and stupid I did smoke in my home and my son got childhood asthma and once I stopped smoking in the house his asthma went away ..go figure ..I felt so bad ...so from then on I never smoked in my home or in the car ever again ...its just not worth it ...now I have been smoke free for 1 1/2 yrs and its great :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you found any problems later in life with your YNA from the smoking ..no respiratory problems ...or anything like that ...I was thinking I would go there this weekend if the weather is good ..spend some time with him ...Im very excited :)
Shannon lived with him for about 16 years and I've had her since 2003. I don't notice any respiratory issues. I have no idea if he smoked near the birds but, as I wrote, there would still have been smoke floating around the house. Don't think there were any air purifiers in the house. He tried to get away with smoking inside my house once or twice and I made him stop and go outside.

BTW, congrats on being smoke free!