• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Hi, I am new here, and I.........

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
He is PETRIFIED of hands, so just putting my hand in front of him, about a foot away without him running or lunging, is a big step. I moved a carrier over so he could use it as a ladder.

There is something about Coojo, he is so happy with the simplest things. He sort of says mmmm when I give him his food and dives right in. He isn't very smart, which is very endearing. Like, he really has to think on how to get from A to C, sometimes A to B even lol He watches for me to come home, I can see through the window that he is lit up. He doesn't ask for much, and is grateful for everything.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I've been so scared to ask about them. Even quit going to Facebook to look at Lucky and Coco because I was worried about the zons.

MC is my cuddle bug and Secret is my Sid.

I was able to give limited skritches to Secret thru cage bars until the toy replaced me. Now I'm not needed......but occasionally I'm permitted to touch. Secret loves the wingdow and watching outside. My guys are clipped (not drastic but clipped). The wingdow is lower so if Secret flies, the bird goes down to the floor without harm (no injury on carpet) and NOT a potential injury by attacking facial body parts.

Secret has, on occasion, given that Amazon smell. MC is my constant perfume dude.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I've been so scared to ask about them. Even quit going to Facebook to look at Lucky and Coco because I was worried about the zons.

MC is my cuddle bug and Secret is my Sid.

I was able to give limited skritches to Secret thru cage bars until the toy replaced me. Now I'm not needed......but occasionally I'm permitted to touch. Secret loves the wingdow and watching outside. My guys are clipped (not drastic but clipped). The wingdow is lower so if Secret flies, the bird goes down to the floor without harm (no injury on carpet) and NOT a potential injury by attacking facial body parts.

Secret has, on occasion, given that Amazon smell. MC is my constant perfume dude.
Well, no need to worry, they are here now!
Sid V is fine to pet, but he just turns on a dime and we both have lost trust in each other now.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Well, no need to worry, they are here now!
Sid V is fine to pet, but he just turns on a dime and we both have lost trust in each other now.
Temporarily.

I'm still working on this too.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
It dawned on me today.
I talk often how this guy has a really hard time getting around. I mean he isn't that smart. Or with it. He has a tricky time going from A to B. Quite often I have to show him the way.
Anyway was telling someone who knows him from his other home. She said, have you ever thought that maybe he has a brain injury from being thrown?
Then tonight, there are certain ways I move where he cringes and closes his eyes, its Like a fearful dog. I always thought he's just afraid. I am the dumb one not putting it all together.
Hopefully it's wrong. I will treat him like he was physically abused now, look at him different, just in case.

IMG_3889.JPG

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Aw, that would be terrible. Sweet guy. :heart:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Very observant my dear. I think you nailed it.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Very observant my dear. I think you nailed it.
It totally makes sense now. Brain injury or not, he for sure was hit, the way he acts when I move certain ways, is exactly the way a dog who is hit acts. Clises his eyes, moves quickly away and back.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
That's so sad ...nice to know he is with you now :)

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
It totally makes sense now. Brain injury or not, he for sure was hit, the way he acts when I move certain ways, is exactly the way a dog who is hit acts. Clises his eyes, moves quickly away and back.
Mine were scared of brooms for a while. Love and calm will change him. It has mine. I'm betting the next 6 years will show remarkable improvement here.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Mine were scared of brooms for a while. Love and calm will change him. It has mine. I'm betting the next 6 years will show remarkable improvement here.
Yes if given enough time, it does heal most wounds. Tika is not anything like he was when he arrived. I can do things with him now I would never have even considered back then. In his case it was a lot of hate. That is now gone. Only took about a decade.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
That will change. You have a lot of gentle energy. That's the magic.

Lodah

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Wouldn't it be fair to nail the previous owners with a baseball bat so they know the damage they inflicted on their fid both mentally and physically! :bored: Seems fair to me! Come on... just a small smack in the head for good measure! There... we all feel better already! :smuggrin:

Heather F

Of course that makes sense. :extremeanger: :cry3:

I'm so glad he's now in a safe gentle place with you.

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Poor poor bird! I'm so glad you have him now Danita :xflove:

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
That is awful. At least now he is in a loving home where he wont ever have to worry about abuse like that again.