• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

When do they start talking?

Ralph dacanay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ralph louell anthony j. Dacanay
When do indian ringnecks start talking? And when do bluffing starts and end? How did you deal with bluffing? Ill be getting a indian ringneck chick handfeed 2 weeks or 3 weeks.i already have enough knowledge on handfeeding i already handfed 2 cockatiel and 4 parakeets. 1 chick or 2 chicks?? Is it better to have 2 indian ringneck? Or just one? Or still depends?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
Bump

cookie1211

Sitting on the front steps
My irn is around 5 months and doesn't talk, not sure when they do talk. Bluffing starts at around 4 months to 1 year. It last for a couple of weeks to couple of months. How to pass the stage is act like it is doing nothing wrong by that I mean when the bird bites ignore it and act like it didn't bite ETC. But I was told by a another forum member that bird don't bluff. (Still confused about that).

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
There's no guarantee that any bird will talk no matter what species it is. "If" your bird decides it's going to talk it will be after you spend a lot of concentrated effort and time trying to teach it to talk. And it may still never talk.

MandaExotics

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
My irn is around 5 months and doesn't talk, not sure when they do talk. Bluffing starts at around 4 months to 1 year. It last for a couple of weeks to couple of months. How to pass the stage is act like it is doing nothing wrong by that I mean when the bird bites ignore it and act like it didn't bite ETC. But I was told by a another forum member that bird don't bluff. (Still confused about that).
I am very curious where you got than time frame from as I've never heard of "bluffing" to adhere to those time spans (then again I haven't googled bluffing either). Perhaps this link will help with the previous member's advice:
Barbara's Force Free Animal Training Talk: Do Animals Bluff?

Best regards to you and the OP :)

There's no guarantee that any bird will talk no matter what species it is. "If" your bird decides it's going to talk it will be after you spend a lot of concentrated effort and time trying to teach it to talk. And it may still never talk.
My IRN will laugh, meow, call me a "pretty bird", and make the creepy sounds my house makes. She will not say "hello" or whistle a tune I've always tried to teach her to do. Birds have a mind of their own. A talking bird is never a priority. I swear I've only gotten her to say I love you a few times, maybe she doesn't love me anymore? (I'm joking)
:lol:

Last edited:

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
These are some of the site that I used to read about bluffing. I am not sure if it is true. I am new to this to.

Bluffing (Biting) Behavior in Parrots - What to Do

Indian Ringneck Bluffing | IndianRingneck.com
Thanks, I appreciate it. I've never gotten a bird from a breeder but I'm not sure I believe in "bluffing" either. I'll read the links and see what I think. When I brought my IRN home I can say she wasn't bluffing about biting and she still isn't when she's having a moody day but I'm not sure when she was hatched either. Her and I have our own understanding and she'll go in and out of her cage fairly easily now. She's not cuddly but I'd say that's not unusual for an IRN.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Parrots do not bluff.

"Bluffing" is a term people use to mean that are bird is warning a human that if the human doesn't change what they are doing they *WILL* bite. The term "bluffing" is most often used with ringnecks and macaws. These birds don't *WANT* to bite, hence the warning (aka "bluffing"), but they *WILL* bite if you don't change your behavior.

In other words, think of it as a way for them to communicate. It's not that they are 'faking' anything, just trying to communicate to you that they don't like whatever it is that is going on.

Kolkri

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angie
I really can't till you when mine started talking. Topaz (RIP) taught goose to talk. He was about a year old when I realized I could here Topaz talking behind me while I was looking at Topaz. Goose sounds just like she did.

janicedyh

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janice
Kiwi is 8 months and has been experimenting with sounds for about 2 weeks. So far I can make out "hello" and "peekaboo"...but who knows what that will morph into. She is the loudest bird of my 3 (GCC, Ekkie, IRN). She can make it sound like a real jungle in the house. I have read that 8 months to a little over a year is when they start mimicking sound. As far as biting...she only bit me when I first got her and placed her into her permanent cage. I think thats mostly because I respect her wishes. She likes her space and I never reach into the cage to get her (I wouldn't want someone doing that to me). Her door is open all waking hours unless I am not home and if she wants to spend time with me she sits on the side of the cage and lets me know.

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I have 2 Male IRNs. I got them both as "just weaned" around the same time. They are approaching 7 years old in a couple of months, and despite repeating things to them over and over, they never learned to talk.

The whole "Bluffing" stage thing is garbage!

kerrielou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
kerrielou
Parrots do not bluff.

"Bluffing" is a term people use to mean that are bird is warning a human that if the human doesn't change what they are doing they *WILL* bite. The term "bluffing" is most often used with ringnecks and macaws. These birds don't *WANT* to bite, hence the warning (aka "bluffing"), but they *WILL* bite if you don't change your behavior.

In other words, think of it as a way for them to communicate. It's not that they are 'faking' anything, just trying to communicate to you that they don't like whatever it is that is going on.
Best explanation I've read. Thanks for this.

kerrielou

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
kerrielou
I have 2 Male IRNs. I got them both as "just weaned" around the same time. They are approaching 7 years old in a couple of months, and despite repeating things to them over and over, they never learned to talk.

The whole "Bluffing" stage thing is garbage!
I don't think Echo is ever going to talk. She's just not very vocal. She really only vocalizes for about 30 minutes at a time maybe every other day or so. Occasionally I can tell she is trying to talk and she will listen very intensely to a few phrases I repeat to her a couple sessions a week when she's in the mood, but overall she just doesn't seem very interested in vocalizing. I'm also not interested in putting in hours a day saying the same things to her, which I doubt would work anyway since she seems about as enthusiastic about it as I am. If she vocalized more I would talk to her more, but I think it probably needs a bit of a symbiotic thing. Constantly talking to a silent bird seems a little pointless.

The breeder mentioned she thinks she can usually tell a bird that will be more likely to talk, because they will vocalize more as chicks. Echo has always been pretty quiet, unless she wants something, but that's just shrieking.