• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo Owner

Mango16

Moving in
Real Name
Becky
Hi, I'm a new umbrella Cockatoo Owner, and I'm looking for advice on some things, My baby is around 12 yrs old. He is a male, we have had him for about 3 months, The first few weeks he done great with my husband and I, he started to having hormonial behaviors, which we put a stop to. He then would chace me and go to my husband, then he starting biting me so i would put him in time out in his cage for about 30 minutes or so and tell him no no, and would repeat several times a day, then now the last week or so, he will have NOTHING to do with me, i go to give him fresh water every morning and evening, or to do anything with him thru out the day he goes CRAZY! My husband walks in the room and he puffs up and starts talking and will step right up on his hand, if i go near him he flys which he can't very far cause his wings are clipped. I try to give him treats all thru the day (sometimes he will take them from me and other times he just starts going crazy in his cage. I have let him out to go on top of his cage, but as i can't get him to get back in his cage, I have to call hubby. LOL My husband and I are home all the time.. Is there something that i could be doing wrong, WHAT can i do to make him come to me and be my bird, my husband don't care for him, and it's just heartbreaking that i would love to just be able to hold him and love on him, but nope wants to go to my husband or even when my daughter comes over she scared of him and he will go right to her, but not me. Is there anyway of changing this around!. Please Help. Thanks and God Bless

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
@JLcribber
Welcome to Avian Avenue, someone should be along soon to give you some advice.
You have chosen a very complex species. Do you any experience with large parrots.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Hello Becky. What you and your husband have done is decided to take on one of the biggest and toughest challenges one can take on in the bird world. That is adopting/rescuing a big adult male umbrella cockatoo. It doesn't get any tougher than this. If both of you have the fortitude and patience to see this through it is manageable but it's not going to be quick or easy. It's almost certainly going to require you giving up personal space to give to this bird his own space that is not inside that cage if this is going to work long term and your term is the rest of your life.

This is going to take way more than one thread for you learn what you need to know. I hope you stick around because we do want to help. I'll just address the few things you posted. We need to know more about you and your environment and if possible any history on this bird. I assume he has a name?

we have had him for about 3 months, The first few weeks he done great with my husband and I, he started to having hormonial behaviors, which we put a stop to.
This is commonly known as the "Honeymoon period" which lasts from a few weeks to a few months. This is when the bird is in a completely new environment and is unsecure and unfamiliar with everything. They are usually well behaved because they do not want to draw attention to themselves (as a survival instinct. Don't attract predators).

Once the bird starts to feel at home it starts to show its true personality. So in fact the bird has not changed at all. It has changed BACK to how it really is.

starting biting me so i would put him in time out in his cage for about 30 minutes or so and tell him no no, and would repeat several times a day, then now the last week or so, he will have NOTHING to do with me,
Time outs in a cage accomplish nothing. It does teach the bird to hate its cage and come to resent it. Totally opposite of what we want. Saying NO NO is a drama reward. Cockatoos thrive on drama/reaction. It does not have to be a good or a bad reaction. Just a reaction.

The proper response to an undesirable "event" is to withdraw your attention. No verbiage, no looking in the eye, nothing. Put the bird down right where you are (the more uncomfortable a place the better) not in the cage and walk away. Only for a few moments because that's only how long this is effective. The birds attention span will quickly refocus after that.

Discipline/punishment. Just bad advice. | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

The bird has chosen your husband as his mate. That makes you an intruder/competition to his affections. This is where the fortitude come in because this is going toi take a long time to overcome and you will still never have the kind of relationship with him that your husband does. You can be great friends but this is going to come down to "your" effort and time.

Give this a read.
Site Name - Articles - Behavioral - Sex And The Psittacine

Here is some homework. You're going to need to do some power learning. This is a great article that will help you tremendously. I hope you read it and we hear from you again. (Many people post once and never come back).

Natural Birdsmanship – Understanding/Treating Behavior Problems in Imprinted Birds Michael Doolen, DVM

Last edited:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
welcome i have no more advice you all ready have @JLcribber

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
Just wanted to add that you might have to be prepared for the fact that the bird may never 'like' you.
I have an Amazon that absolutely hates my husband, he will definitely attack him if given the chance.
This behavior has been going on 10 years.
I just wanted to let you know, like @JLcribber said, there's definitely no quick fix to that..

Also, congratulations to you for giving him a home. You can still love a bird even though he may not turn out to be what you expected. They're definitely not like dogs-you pretty much can't "make" them do ANYTHING lol

Pipsqueak

Avenue Veteran
Wow, such great advice. I am learning so much. It will be hard , you cannot have any expectations of the bird. Good luck to you.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum!

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
And don't feel bad about the bird liking/going to your daughter. If she doesn't live with you then it's just that the bird doesn't view your daughter as a threat to her mate..
Your bird probably sees you and your husband interacting constantly, especially if you two are home all day.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Welcome to Avian Ave.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome, and enjoy the site!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
John is the best person to advise you on AA. Are you going to let your birds flight feathers grow?

Cassiopejaz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Daniel
Welcome to AA Hope u will enjoy ur time with us..:bingoyay:

And there are alot of ppl with tons of knowledge about parrots so never hesitate to ask..and when it comes to Cockatoos then John is the person u should ask and listen to carefully :)