• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Harness Progress

jen2016

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Very excited to share that after months of working with Jack on his number one fear....the past 2 mornings he had a big breakthrough---he wore his harness without much of a fuss! Yesterday, lasted just for a minute before he wanted out of it, but this morning I got the harness off and on him 4 times. On the fourth time(and triple checking everything was secure), I walked him outside for a minute! He was dead-silent while outside, but was babbling and cackle-giggling like crazy when I brought him back inside. haha

To compare: In November, he ran/flew away at the mere sight of the harness.

Now I just need the weather to warm-up, but so proud of my little guy. :)

greys4u

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
:ygg:

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
Well done to you both!

BeeBop

Good job! Does the aviator harness fit very small bird like budgies? Has anyone had success with their budgie wearing one? I have a feeling with some getting used to it BeeBop would like it, since he loves to go outside.

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
WOW...good job :fairy2:

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
Good job! Does the aviator harness fit very small bird like budgies? Has anyone had success with their budgie wearing one? I have a feeling with some getting used to it BeeBop would like it, since he loves to go outside.
There is an aviator harness for budgies and lovebirds, I think it is the mini size :) @Parrot Hotel & Shop has them.

Congrats on the harness training! You should tell Grumbles the harness won't eat him ;)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Congrats! :goodjob: And don't be afraid to take him out short times now as long as it's not windy. (5-15 min.)
Here in Sweden we are going out with our parrots in the winter too, they need fresh air and vitamin D.

Here you have 3 amazons going for a walk in the snow two weeks ago. (all wearing harness)
The man that recorded the movie (the pic is a capture of the video) had a macaw on his shoulder.

W1.jpg

jen2016

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
There is an aviator harness for budgies and lovebirds, I think it is the mini size :) @Parrot Hotel & Shop has them.

Congrats on the harness training! You should tell Grumbles the harness won't eat him ;)

Jack honestly thought the harness was going to eat him too and scream in retreat. Big boy really doesn't fear much, but a simple string---TERROR! haha

I initially just left the harness out in the open so he could see it even from his cage(about a week). Eventually, I worked him up to 10 min sessions of sitting with him and holding the harness in one hand and giving him a treat whenever he touched it and making sure I always ended on a good experience. Then I'd make the biggest loop possible and he'd have to stick his head through it to get the treat I was holding on the other side. I stayed at this step for weeks because he'd get very skittish and wouldn't consistently approach. He'd try to find a way around the loop to get to the treat. haha I'd also take the harness and drape it over my arm or around my neck, making a big deal over how fun this was while he watched me(as silly as I felt, I know he clued in on the "Oh, she's not dead!"). And then yesterday I sort of went for it and got the head loop over him, immediate treat and took it off. And since he didn't react much, I kept progressing in that same 10 min window. He gets the occasional treat with praise, but I also vary it with just lots of praise, scritches, and now the new reward will be trips outside. The head loop was the biggest NO-reaction. Once that's over, he settles right down and lets me loop his wings in(with a little growling while he figures out what I'm up to, but nothing that means business, just "I'm not sure what you're doing, but okay"). Tightening up the harness was a little trickier because he starts to fidget and I wanted to move fast so he didn't tangle himself, so that took more practice on my part than his, but 2 tries and I feel comfortable with the process. These were all things I read online or saw in various harness videos and then I tailored to Jack based on how I read his comfort and what he reacted well to the most.

jen2016

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Congrats! :goodjob: And don't be afraid to take him out short times now as long as it's not windy. (5-15 min.)
Here in Sweden we are going out with our parrots in the winter too, they need fresh air and vitamin D.

Here you have 3 amazons going for a walk in the snow two weeks ago. (all wearing harness)
The man that recorded the movie (the pic is a capture of the video) had a macaw on his shoulder.

View attachment 244394

Oh wow! This is really helpful to see/know! Thank you! I had read that macaws should avoid exposure to temps below 68(obviously not for extended periods of time, but 5-10 min strolls should be okay in lower temps). I'm excited to know that Jack can enjoy the outside world sooner. :D

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
but 5-10 min strolls should be okay in lower temps
Yes as long as it's not windy. It's the wind that is dangerous and that can get them really cold. And of course I only go outside when its sunny weather. :marlenesmile:
And if you are worried just go outside 5 minutes in the beginning. But I can promise you that it's not gonna harm him.
And the temp in that pic I posted was -5º C (23ºF) And all birds is still alive. LOL!

jen2016

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
Yes as long as it's not windy. It's the wind that is dangerous and that can get them really cold. And of course I only go outside when its sunny weather. :marlenesmile:
And if you are worried just go outside 5 minutes in the beginning. But I can promise you that it's not gonna harm him.
And the temp in that pic I posted was -5º C (23ºF) And all birds is still alive. LOL!
Ah! That temperature doesn't exist where I am in LA...even snow on the surrounding mountains is a rarity! I'll just tell Jack to man-up with the current 40-50F temps. ;) Though I feel like he's more focused on being outside than the temps. I'll mind the wind though and any other inclement weather like rain.

Alan J.

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Alan Jardine
Jack is stunning Jennifer and the area you live in, is awesome.

jen2016

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jennifer
:heart::heart::heart:
And what a beautiful area you live in! :)
Jack is stunning Jennifer and the area you live in, is awesome.
Thank you, guys! I feel very lucky to have found this spot..and of course, Jack just completes the view. The couple months of recent rain storms has really made the hills explode in greenery. :) Going to be sad to see it turn to the usual CA-brown hills in the summer.

SeverelySweet

Ah! That temperature doesn't exist where I am in LA...even snow on the surrounding mountains is a rarity! I'll just tell Jack to man-up with the current 40-50F temps. ;) Though I feel like he's more focused on being outside than the temps. I'll mind the wind though and any other inclement weather like rain.
LA...as in Louisiana, or LA, LA? If it's the latter...opinion on the weather today? (I'm up in the Valley)