• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Meet Beckett

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
So I went to a bird fair on Saturday. I needed toys and some perches. I ended up leaving with a black headed caique.

Some background on me - I currently have two conures, Ollie (18 year old maroon bellied conure) and Derby (12 year old cherry headed conure). I have had them their entire lives.

I have not had a caique before, but I have read about them, and have had experience with several other kinds of birds (Poicephalus, Amazons, Greys, Pionus).

This bird was in the tiniest cage, with one perch and one toy. The vendor that had him didn't know a thing about him except that he was a "mature bird" and the guy was told he was a male. I didn't intend to bring home a bird that day, but home he came. I just couldn't leave him there.

We named him Beckett. He has a band that has some letters, and "96" on it. Is it safe to assume this is the year that he hatched? Beckett can easily go from perch to perch in his cage, but he fumbles on the bars. He's also not sure of hands. He's learning to step up. He has only bitten me twice, but it was not in aggression at all. My 8 year old daughter can handle him with ease.

Anybody that may have rescued an older caique - what can I expect? I know every situation and every bird is different, but I'm just looking for some general guidelines. I've seen him hop a couple of times, and I've heard a few vocalizations from him. He has no interest in toys, but he is VERY interested in food (no clue what they were even feeding him - I couldn't get out of there fast enough with him). Currently his favorite place is on my chest, leaning into my chin. IMG_2665.JPG

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Good looking bird. No flight feathers? Clipped?. The shape of the head suggests female to me

Best of luck with your new birdie

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations on your new caique.

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
VERY clipped. :(
I have some other pictures, I will try to upload them soon.
He (?) has a slightly plucked spot on his chest, and perhaps under his wings. What color are they supposed to be under their wings?

Akoni

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
Another BH caique! :heart: Congratulations.

If you haven't read it yet, this is a great resource: The good, the bad, and the ugly about caiques | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Caiques tend to take great enjoyment in their food! They have to eat a lot to make up for all the energy they burn off hopping and playing maniacally with their toys. Foot toys and swinging toys that she can hang upside down from are very popular with my girl. Although if Beckett is really 21 years old, he's probably slightly more subdued.

I'd advise you to discourage Beckett from climbing onto your daughter's shoulder, and teaching him to be held on her hand or arm only. My caique also loves my niece and nephew, but can be unpredictable, and I'd worry about that sharp beak near a little one's face after the honeymoon period ends.

It does look like his chest feathers are a little sparse. Have you offered him a bowl to bathe in or tried misting him? Caiques don't seem to be as prone to plucking as other species, so it's a little worrying. Given his age, a vet exam would be a very good idea to rule out any health conditions.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:fairy2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congratulations on getting Beckett.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
VERY clipped. :(
I have some other pictures, I will try to upload them soon.
He (?) has a slightly plucked spot on his chest, and perhaps under his wings. What color are they supposed to be under their wings?
Mine are a riot of colour under there, especially when young. But I dont have BHC

Pebbles_S.JPG

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Beckett...and congrats to you, Julie!

I know very little about Caiques, but I do know that s/he is a cutie. :)

I sound like a broken record, but I always say when you bring a new bird into your home, it's a great idea to get a wellness checkup for them...;)

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
Beckett continues to do well! He eats well, and is vocalizing more and more. He still doesn't have much interest in his toys, but maybe that will come with time.

I have taken him into the shower. It did not go well. He freaked out. He has a good sized water bowl, as well as another "bird bath" in the cage for him. I have yet to see him use it, but I do work during the day.

At this point, we are working on teaching him how to confidently step up, and he is making great progress and will go to almost anyone, with the exception of my 4 year old daughter and my 9 year old son (I think they both move too fast for him). When asked to step up, he will stay in one place and easily give me one foot, but isn't quite sure what to do with his other foot. ;) He doesn't have much interest in climbing arms (he will sit on my shoulder if I put him there). My daughter isn't brave enough to do that yet (with any of my birds) and I am perfectly fine with that. He does like to be close to your body though (chest, neck, etc).

A vet exam is in the near future for him. Possibly even this weekend.

Here are some more pictures of him. I need to get my good camera out and quit solely using my cell phone!

Beckett1.jpg
Beckett2.jpg
Beckett3.jpg

Akoni

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nicole
It sounds like you and Beckett are off to a great start! He clearly adores you.

Keep giving him access to the bath and toys. He hasn't been home very long at all and probably just needs some time to feel more confident with his surroundings.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Pretty soon he will learn how to be a playing bird. You found a charmer.

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
Beckett has an appointment with our vet next Saturday (3/11). No concerns, but would like to get his beak trimmed, and just a baseline for him. I don't want his nails trimmed, as he just seems clumsy. He can walk around just fine when on a flat surface, and can navigate perches, but still struggles with hands.

I've seen him "surf" on the back of his cage, upside down, on the bars...and nothing else. :( I've encouraged it with towels, and my hair (LOL) that is past my shoulders. He has no interest. Same thing with toys/playing. All he really wants to do is snuggle (which is definitely fine by me - HA) but from what I've seen/read about caiques doesn't seem to be the norm. Does anyone have video of their caique making normal happy/content noises? I've figured out his terrified "get that away from me" noise, and he makes a few others, but I'd like to know if they're contented noises, or if he's still scared...I call them his "baby bird" noises as they remind me of noises that baby birds make when begging for food from their parents - only not so loud.

I know people have mentioned to give him time and to continue offering things to him, but I'm just curious if there is anything I can do to maybe boost his confidence a bit. He appears to be pretty well bonded with me, which is great.

More pictures of our continued bonding....
IMG_2727.JPG
IMG_2756.JPG

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Sounds lime your baby is doing fine. Enjoy the snuggle phase, it lasts a couple of years before they turn adult, and then drops off dramatically in my experience.

In both your pictures he is exhibiting baby 'hiding in nest' beheaviour. Finding security in a safe small enclosed space. Be careful. While there he may helpfully preen you, removing any damaged feathers you have, ie any skin imperfections, moles etc with that very sharp beak. Same with ear rings and jewellery

Dont depend on sounds for caique communication. Watch his body language first. Red eyes, flared sticking out feathers, ( angry pants) methodical stalking, are all signs of anger which come BEFORE the sound.

Ignore body language at your peril. But that's a way off yet, he is still a baby doing baby things

Last edited:

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
I think the "baby phase" might not last long as it was believed he is a "mature" caique.
Irish9 shared some excellent advice to be heeded.

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I think the "baby phase" might not last long as it was believed he is a "mature" caique.
Irish9 shared some excellent advice to be heeded.
Good point Wendy. I'm not good at ageing those BHC visually. I dont have any

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
ah yes Pic 1. looks like he has a fully white chest. Adult then

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue