• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Anyone have a talker?

Lara608

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lara
So, who has a talky Pi and when did they start mimicking human words? My Pi chatters but I hear nothing recognizable as a "word". I understand they are not supposed to be great at mimicking, but was hopeful I may someday get a word or two!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Mine does talk all the time when I'm not in the same room, but I have no idea of what they saying. :p :D
Mine don't have any clear human talk but I know that @SnapV that also have a BH, her boy talk a lot and started really early.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Nerd never talked the 31 years he was with me. After he passed I got Lurch and he was about 5 at the time, he talked a lot and was learning new words and phrases to the day he escaped. I now have Dobby yet another Maxi and he also talks but he loves noises and whistling more to express himself. Sometimes they can say things very clearly, most times they sound like drunken pirates. Lurch also used to practice his favorites when alone. Nerd spoke wild Pionus and we understood each other perfectly.

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Mine will say his name, Remy, quite clearly, when no one is around. The first time I thought my mom was calling for him but it turned out it was all him. I was amazed.
He will say "achoo!" as well, which I taught him to do in the place of yelling for me. Super cute. :D

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Leto talks but I don't know when he started because I rescued him at 8 yrs of age.

He says his name when he's very happy or excited. He says good morning in a whispery voice many mornings when I take him out of his sleep cage (I whisper it to him so I don't wake my husband up). If his upset or startled he'll say it's ok because I must say this a lot to sooth him. He also says I love you sometimes (usually when he knows I'm leaving the house). He sounds like a quacking duck when he says this. He also whistles. He does it to get my attention.

I think if you what your Pi to say something pick a word and use it all the time. They need the repetition, but using it in context also helps too. Like good morning.

Wannabird2003

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Karen Z
My female talks only to me in a very low pitched gravely voice. She says "Jade is a pretty bird, such a pretty bird". Jade is a good birdie, such a good birdie". "Are you going bye bye?" "Birdie go" (to bed). "Come on, step up here" (when she wants attention). She will be 14 in a month. I think she started talking maybe at 6 months and hasn't said anything new in years.

cetan

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Adam (RIP) would make a lot of R2D2 noises and he also said a very clear 'Hi baby' every morning. Chante says very clearly 'good boy' and 'good good boy' and 'I love you' and 'Adam' and combinations of those words, he also says 'aaargh' a lot. Nick just whistles and makes microwave beeps

Ella.pi

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Just going to paste what I posted elsewhere:
"I have/had 3 bronze wing pis and only Apache, my 3 year old male talks. He says "bisou, bisou" and makes kissy noises, "coucou Apache" or "coucou, ça vas?" "tut, tut, tut" clucking toungue noises when he's being naughty or just overexcited and a lot of robotic mumbling. :laugh: oh and a "tut, tut, tut... graaawww" while i'm playing at catching his toes. The growl is when I touch him or he gets my finger. It's the: " it's coming... coming... coming... got youuuu!" game. Silly bird. He also does a perfect imitation of the "hoooo" sound I make when I think he's doing or saying something interesting. So cute!

He loves to whistle to. Our contact call is a wolf whistle and my young pi uses it to, even when they're calling each other. I don't expect him to learn a lot of new words because he's learnt what he knows as a baby and doesn't seem interested in saying more. He does use them in context though. :)

He's always had a thing for human language, he started mumbling to himself during his first week home and quickly picked up a few words and sounds."

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
The day I picked up Tiki, while still at her previous home and sitting on my finger, she was muttering like she was practicing to speak. But I've never heard her say any words nor mutter since. That was almost 5 years ago. The only imitation I've heard her do is a kissing sound.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
My 11-12 year old male white cap came to me at 9 years old and a talker. Mainly just a few small phrases like "good bird" and "kissy". My new female 6 month old Maxi talks a lot. She lived near a talkative pair or maxis at the breeder so she learned several things. Only thing is that I cannot make out most of it. She is a soft talker. My 6 year old female white cap does not talk at all

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
How old is your Pi?

My experience is they learn early in age. Keep talking to them and they pick up things. Some words were purposely taught to Max. Others were picked up by listening to me. No new words since first year. And on a pionus list serv that seemed to be others' experience....if talking then vocab developed in first year and no new after that. But Andre's mom on AA will tell you Andre still picks up words still. Each pi is different.

One word wasn't reinforced enough when he said it because I was so in shock so he hasn't said it again even though I have tried to get him to repeat it since....the phrase was Thank You....in context. He is a male white cap and is 5 now. He voice is raspy and he changes up phrases and says things in context. He has a limited vocabulary of under 10 words/phrases.

My other pi is a 12 year old male Maxi. He came to me at 8. He very clearly says a few words and phrases and a ton of animal sounds (Ruff Ruff, etc) and he whistles songs. All learned prior to coming to me and he hasn't picked up anything else since coming to me.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
I think if you what your Pi to say something pick a word and use it all the time. They need the repetition, but using it in context also helps too. Like good morning.
excellent advice!

Also some words I whispered (like Aubrey) to him. It really caught his attention and he would turn his head and watch my lips. Those words are embedded in him...

Last edited:

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
My BH, Jewel, is almost 4 years old (got her when she was 1) and the only understandable words I've ever heard her say are "pretty bird", and a few noises. But we got my WC, Leo, at 7 months (last Christmas) and he's been talking since about a week after he arrived here. He mimics things like "pretty girl", "thank you", "good boy", "Leo Leo", and a few others. He also makes a large variety of fun noises. He's as talkative as my CAG.