• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Degu!

AzaleaMist

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Well last night I added a Degu to our zoo! He is so precious! I went in for pellets and came out with my heart stolen by a Degu. We went back for him about twenty mins later as a birthday present. ❤ He is a two year old rescue and is the sweetest. He is alone, he was surrendered/ rescued to the manager of our locally owned pet store. I named him Digory. I haven't taken any pics yet except in the store. It has been a lazy day here becuase my daughter was in the hospital until yesterday afternoon for several days. ( it's so good to be home and sleeping here)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Congrats. Is that similar to a Chinchilla?

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
Awe, I love degus! The fact that I'm apparently allergic to hay products deters me from owning any :(

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I love goos! I fostered a family a few years back that came into our shelter, they're such cool little guys!

Congrats. Is that similar to a Chinchilla?
They're kinda like a chinchilla/rat hybrid that got their look from a weird gerbilian uncle.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Congrats! Post pics when you can. :)

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
I love goos! I fostered a family a few years back that came into our shelter, they're such cool little guys!

They're kinda like a chinchilla/rat hybrid that got their look from a weird gerbilian uncle.
Oh my gosh hahaha

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
He is so cool. I'm sad he is alone though. He looks like a squirrel or a baby rabbit in the face, and kinda gerbil like or chin like also. I need to do more research on setting up an enclosure for him perfectly and if I should try to find him a buddy. I have looked already with out any luck but I can keep looking if his happiness depends on it. I have taken a couple quick pics but they are not of his final enclosure. Just a some stuff I gave him quickly and the rock he came with. I will upload them.

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
He is so cool. I'm sad he is alone though. He looks like a squirrel or a baby rabbit in the face, and kinda gerbil like or chin like also. I need to do more research on setting up an enclosure for him perfectly and if I should try to find him a buddy. I have looked already with out any luck but I can keep looking if his happiness depends on it. I have taken a couple quick pics but they are not of his final enclosure. Just a some stuff I gave him quickly and the rock he came with. I will upload them.
If I can't own a degu I can get my degu pics here then :D
I know they recommend degus in pairs like gerbils but I don't about introducing new degus to one another or anything like that. Good luck! :goodluck:

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Yes I have read that and I have had many gerbils in the past. Gerbils are awesome but this guy?! Oh my gosh!
I will put these pics through tiny pic and get them up. He is in a 20 gal high at the moment and it is all temporary until I figure out how I want to set him up. He keeps rearranging stuff haha. I have a forty gallon long available for him I could use or I could do something different but I read on one site that tanks are a good bet.

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Ok pics of Digory! They are not very good, they were just quick ones from yesterday.

In this pic he is like done- haha. No more pictures. As you all know I'm not a huge picture sharer so you will have to hound me for pics. I don't know why. I take pictures all the time. Candy box was only in there long enough for a quick bath. The bowl I gave him for a bath was too small. :oops:

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Oh my goodness! He is so cute!

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
He is a cutie :xflove:

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Cute lil guy, looks like a super sized gerbil to me. As kids we had about every small creature or lizard, fish, etc. I'm pretty sure we got a few gerbils when they first hit the pet trade in the mid to late 60's. They didn't smell like rats or mice and were pretty fastidious about their home but I don't remember them being as cuddly and happy to hang out as my favorite big rat was. This guy looks real happy to be held and hang out with you from the happy look on his face.

Moshimaru

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Wire cages are better for them - no plastic. I had mine in a giant wire cage that loved moving between all the different levels. I was in the process of shifting them to a more all natural diet with plants and such from the outdoors before I had to bring them back.

They need plenty of stuff to chew on and like to take dust baths too!

AzaleaMist

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy
Got it, and thanks for the info you sent me! I have chewing covered. Lots of chews, hay etc, chinchilla sand, and no plastics just like the gerbs.
He is very handlable and slower than a gerbil but very curious and will be still and then be ready to bolt haha. He has already eaten out of my hand and climbed my arm and scattered his food twice :swoon:. I guess I will stop putting his pellets back in the bowl if he is going to keep removing them. :what: :thinking:I think he is about he cutest rodent I've ever had. :heart2:

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is very cute! Sounds like he is very sweet, too!