• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Overgrown beak, tip broke off

TheOddFlock

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Also, I use to give my past birds small bits of turkey and chicken. Is it ok to give my birds those things? How about crust off of bread? I was told by the store I got Jordan from, that she liked bread.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Bread made for humans is largely empty calories. Most vets recommend against animal proteins for birds because it contributes to heart disease

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If you feed celery, it's best to chop it up finely. Have heard of one case where the strings from celery caused a crop impaction...

"Yes" to tiny bits of cooked turkey and chicken, but personally, I don't recommend it. I know a lot of people do feed animal protein (usually chicken, turkey, bones of either one, shrimp, etc), but parrots do best on a lower protein diet. If they receive too much protein, it can also lead to kidney failure.

As far as bread goes, it's usually better to make "birdy bread" with cornmeal or a homemade recipe, then add in pellets, vegetables, maybe some fruits and cook it up for the birds. Some people *love* to feed birdy bread to their birds, but I'm not one of those people...

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Ok, thanks!
No bread, yes celery.
Turkey and chicken, I'm leaning towards no, but maybe I'll let my birds have a little nibble of turkey on Thanksgiving.

I'll be going out on Thursday, I'll get some fresh greens for my birds.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What I usually do is take half a small bag of frozen mixed veggies, a dark leafy green veggie, a orange veggie, and sometimes a fruit, and mix it together as their chop for a week. Orange veggies are super good for them because they have high Vitamin A needs. It only costs me a few dollars a month to feed them fresh food everyday.

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
What I usually do is take half a small bag of frozen mixed veggies, a dark leafy green veggie, a orange veggie, and sometimes a fruit, and mix it together as their chop for a week. Orange veggies are super good for them because they have high Vitamin A needs. It only costs me a few dollars a month to feed them fresh food everyday.

I think I've got a bag frozen veggies in the freezer.

Lwalker

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Lori
Frozen veggies are economical and better than canned because canned have extra salt.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Celery has too much salt and too little nutrition.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Frozen veggies are economical and better than canned because canned have extra salt.

They also tend to be more nutritious than fresh because they are picked at their peak and immediately frozen, instead of being picked too soon or picked at the right time and then losing some as they are shipped around :)

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
This morning I gave my birds a veggie mix. I'm going to give them carrots, broccoli, and lettuce (until I can get some other leafy green things) every morning (started this morning) and I'm going to give them a different fruit with it every week. I gave them kiwi fruit this week. So far...Only Elvis my tiel will eat it, and he only eats the carrots, But I did get him to take a little nibble of broccoli.

Peppo

Sprinting down the street
They also tend to be more nutritious than fresh because they are picked at their peak and immediately frozen, instead of being picked too soon or picked at the right time and then losing some as they are shipped around :)
Heres a crazy question, I don't know why I never thought of it before.. How well are frozen vegetables washed before they are frozen? Do people wash them before eating? I don't know why this just struck me, I am almost 50 years old and I never gave this a second thought...hmmm

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Heres a crazy question, I don't know why I never thought of it before.. How well are frozen vegetables washed before they are frozen? Do people wash them before eating? I don't know why this just struck me, I am almost 50 years old and I never gave this a second thought...hmmm

This doesn't answer your question directly... but just recently watched this. Maybe vegetables go through a similar process???

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

I do rinse mine, but as part of the thawing process, not to wash them. They are washed before being frozen though :)

How frozen vegetable is made - production process, making, used, processing, product, industry, machine

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I am so reliefed. I was looking at the photos I took from the day I bought Opal, and she did have an overgrown beak when I bought her. I don't have to worry about her being sick now. I am so glad. And I finally got my budgies to eat some of the veggie mix. Now I've got to get Jordan to eat it.