• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Wayfair lowered prices on cages

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wayfair has lowered prices on several cages from different manufacturers. One example is the Avian Adventures Chiquita starting at $252.99 for the dometop and $259.38 for the play top. Another is the AA Loro priced at $280.99. Not the lowest I've ever seen but better than what I have seen since the bargain prices for Chiquita at Petsmart.

Robin8888

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Robin
Wayfair has lowered prices on several cages from different manufacturers. One example is the Avian Adventures Chiquita starting at $252.99 for the dometop and $259.38 for the play top. Another is the AA Loro priced at $280.99. Not the lowest I've ever seen but better than what I have seen since the bargain prices for Chiquita at Petsmart.
I just ordered the A&E cage from them yesterday 32x23 playtop for $272.00. Very similar to the large AA playtop.
I looked at the AA playtop but it was about $100 more & hubby wants the cages to match (color) we already have the Medium A&E for my other bird.
We love the A&E cages.
Both are nice cages.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is that for the Hahn's you are thinking of getting? When is the Bird Fair that you are/were planning on going to?

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
Is that for the Hahn's you are thinking of getting? When is the Bird Fair that you are/were planning on going to?
Hopefully the Hahn's. Have the new cage coming this week. I am planning on going to the expo this Sat.. We will see what happens if the bird is still available & how I like it when I see it. My husband & I are going to try to take my daughter & see how she likes it too. But again that is if they didn't already sell it at the expo this past weekend.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hopefully the Hahn's. Have the new cage coming this week. I am planning on going to the expo this Sat.. We will see what happens if the bird is still available & how I like it when I see it. My husband & I are going to try to take my daughter & see how she likes it too. But again that is if they didn't already sell it at the expo this past weekend.

You can give them a call to check if the Hahn's is still available.
I do think the cage is better for a bird a bit larger than a smaller Poi. I forget to take photos of the gaps that concern me but when you get it you will see what I mean.

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
You can give them a call to check if the Hahn's is still available.
I do think the cage is better for a bird a bit larger than a smaller Poi. I forget to take photos of the gaps that concern me but when you get it you will see what I mean.
What gaps are you talking about? I have the smaller A&E cage & don't have any gaps.

Everyone told me to get this size cage. I was looking at the smaller one & was told by so many it was to small for a Hahn's.
I checked the bar spacing & I believe it is 3/4 inch same as the smaller cage. I have the smaller 23x20 for the sun conure & the bar spacing is 3/4.

I just check on A&E's website the smaller cage the bar spacing is 3/4 & the larger one is 5/8 which is smaller than the smaller cage.

I know I can call them about the bird but I don't want to just yet they have a store & the bird can still be sold this week. Waiting until maybe Wed. or Thurs. to check with them I know they are coming into town on Friday.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't like the gap between the breeder door and the cage frame and the gap on the play top area with the tray inserted. I was going to move a red-bellied into the large A&E but know my red-bellies and how curious they can be and I can imagine one trying to escape by squeezing through the breeder door gap and maybe trying to get down from the play top by squeezing through the gap and perhaps getting stuck or getting out when I am not home. I would probably wrap something like sisal around the frame and the side of the breeder door and remove the top tray and use plexiglass.

I really want to move my Bare-eyed into the cage. I moved it into the bird room the other day so she could see it but she wouldn't even come out of her cage. I put a bowl of goodies in the new cage but she was not interested. Then my Goffin's started screaming at it and wouldn't stop even though the cage was not near her. I am trying to take it slow with the Bare-eyed because if she gets too stressed or freaked out she will seizure.

Not sure what I am going to do with it. I sort of wish I hadn't purchased it, having buyer's remorse.

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
I don't like the gap between the breeder door and the cage frame and the gap on the play top area with the tray inserted. I was going to move a red-bellied into the large A&E but know my red-bellies and how curious they can be and I can imagine one trying to escape by squeezing through the breeder door gap and maybe trying to get down from the play top by squeezing through the gap and perhaps getting stuck or getting out when I am not home. I would probably wrap something like sisal around the frame and the side of the breeder door and remove the top tray and use plexiglass.

I really want to move my Bare-eyed into the cage. I moved it into the bird room the other day so she could see it but she wouldn't even come out of her cage. I put a bowl of goodies in the new cage but she was not interested. Then my Goffin's started screaming at it and wouldn't stop even though the cage was not near her. I am trying to take it slow with the Bare-eyed because if she gets too stressed or freaked out she will seizure.

Not sure what I am going to do with it. I sort of wish I hadn't purchased it, having buyer's remorse.

I have the sun conure in the A&E cage & have no issues with gaps (nothing big enough for her to get her head in or get stuck. Not sure how big a red-bellied is.
My husband did have to adjust the feeder doors & breeder doors. So maybe it is just how you assembled it.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The feeder and breeder doors are already attached to the panels. This is the large cage same as the one you just ordered. Most of my red-bellies are escape artists and may attempt to squeeze through spaces that might not be large enough to get through completely. One day I found one with his head caught in a small feeder door. Luckily I was home. I used to find one of my female red-bellies outside of her cage and couldn't figure out how she was getting out until I realized that spacing between two of the cage bars was larger than spacing between the others. She had discovered that and was squeezing out between the bars. I put a food dish there to prevent her from doing that.

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
The feeder and breeder doors are already attached to the panels. This is the large cage same as the one you just ordered. Most of my red-bellies are escape artists and may attempt to squeeze through spaces that might not be large enough to get through completely. One day I found one with his head caught in a small feeder door. Luckily I was home. I used to find one of my female red-bellies outside of her cage and couldn't figure out how she was getting out until I realized that spacing between two of the cage bars was larger than spacing between the others. She had discovered that and was squeezing out between the bars. I put a food dish there to prevent her from doing that.
Did you assemble your own cage? The doors are not attached when it comes. I already have the instructions to assemble it. Just thinking that maybe the doors need to be adjusted on your cage. If you didn't assemble it then maybe it wasn't put together right. I know my husband had to mess with the doors to make sure they were on right. This is the A&E cage I am getting. A&E Cage Co. Large Play Top Bird Cage & Reviews | Wayfair

If you can post a picture I would like to see what you are talking about.

I am looking at getting a Hahn's Macaw for this cage. Hahn's are bigger than Red Bellied from what I can see.

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I assembled the cage and the doors were already attached to the side panels. The only thing I did with the doors was to attach the bowl holders to the feeder doors. I talked to the company about the breeder door and they said that's the way it is. The cage in your link is the one I have. What color did you get?

BTW, how long did it take your husband to put the cage together? It took me about 4 hrs. to put the large cage together by myself. :-(

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
It took him maybe an hour of two. The instructions were terrible or he would have had it done faster.
I got the same color as the other one we have Platinum

Here is a picture of the smaller one we have.

Attachments

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
I assembled the cage and the doors were already attached to the side panels. The only thing I did with the doors was to attach the bowl holders to the feeder doors. I talked to the company about the breeder door and they said that's the way it is. The cage in your link is the one I have. What color did you get?

BTW, how long did it take your husband to put the cage together? It took me about 4 hrs. to put the large cage together by myself. :-(

We just put the new cage together. Took use about an hour but there was 3 of us & my son had his power drill. The directions are terrible. Good thing I remember doing the other A&E cage we have this one is the same just bigger. My suggestion to anyone putting this cage together assemble the back & both sides them put the top grate then the front side or you can't get the top grate in. You really need at least 2 people to put this cage together 1 to hold it & another to put the screws in.

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was able to get the top grate in with all panels attached but it was a struggle and I had to call the company to make sure I was doing it right because it was so difficult to place. I was ready to give up when I finally got it seated. I assembled it by myself and I supported it against something so that it didn't fall over. I agree with you, @Robin8888 that it's best to have 2 people put it together. Did you notice the breeder door gap and the gap above the play top tray?

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
I was able to get the top grate in with all panels attached but it was a struggle and I had to call the company to make sure I was doing it right because it was so difficult to place. I was ready to give up when I finally got it seated. I assembled it by myself and I supported it against something so that it didn't fall over. I agree with you, @Robin8888 that it's best to have 2 people put it together. Did you notice the breeder door gap and the gap above the play top tray?
There is a small gap on both of the cages but I have never had an issue with my sun conure. The gap isn't any bigger than the bar spacing. I don't see how a bird would get stuck there. But I guess 1 may try but then wouldn't the bar spacing be an issue too? The bar spacing on the larger cage is just a tiny bite smaller then the smaller cage. Now that I don't get. The bar spacing says 5/8 for the bigger cage & 3/4 for the smaller cage. Only 1/8 of an inch. I would have thought bigger cage bigger bar spacing.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What did you think about the gap above the play top tray. I am thinking about just getting some plexiglass and using that instead of the tray. I can't explain the bar spacing to you. I would also think that the same type of cage but a larger size would have larger bar spacing.

Robin8888

Real Name
Robin
What did you think about the gap above the play top tray. I am thinking about just getting some plexiglass and using that instead of the tray. I can't explain the bar spacing to you. I would also think that the same type of cage but a larger size would have larger bar spacing.
Are you talking about where the tray goes in on the top? once the tray is in there really isn't a gap.
I would take a picture but the new bird is sleeping right now. I just got him today.
This cage is huge for a Hahn's. It is going to make it a lot harder to train him.
My arm doesn't even reach to the back corners of the cage so I can get him to come out.

Attachments

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yes, the top tray. There is a gap with mine and I also noticed that in photos of it.
Let him come out on his own. Right now he probably needs to adjust to his new environment.
He will probably enjoy the spaciousness of the cage. The sizing is OK because you will be adding more toys & more perches.
I was initially planning on putting a red-bellied parrot or my Senegal in that large play top.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Price of playtop went up $20. Hayneedle has matched price. Tax is lower with them but they ship Fed Ex.

Anyone know if Wayfair ships by UPS? I prefer UPS over FEd EX monsters.

Guess they don't have the real wood perches anymore? Hayneedle lists bakau perches.

Midwest mentions mangrove perches availab;e...I really wish they would not skimp on the perch.

Avian Adventure Bird Cage Accessories

Last edited: