• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cage Setup Help for Old/Blind Cockatiel

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
So you all know I have Ian, a 16 year old Cockatiel (he'll be 17 in May!). Since I've had him I've tried to help him be more comfortable, but it's very difficult.

He has bad cataracts and cannot see well. Adding toys to his cage scares him because he can't SEE what they are, and I dont have any way to acclimate him. Adding a toy into the cage scares him and he won't move from his perch if he finds a new toy/obstacle that scares him. At all.

That being said, even then he doesn't move around much. He CAN climb, and very well, but he doesn't move much during the day. He'll just be on the same perch, all day, and then move to his food dishes. Back and forth. I don't know what to do to help him. He has two perches in his cage, but only uses one. Adding more perches is hard because he'll get afraid of them. Adding new toys scares him so he doesn't move.

Are there any suggestions for cage set up? What can I add?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have tiels.

Forget about the toys and all other changes you might try to enrich his world. His bad eyesight unfortunately necessitates that. Does he spend any time at the bottom of the cage? If so, I would see if he would like to chew something easy, like newspaper, which you could place on the grate. It is not threatening.

What kind of perches does he have? He doesn't ever fall, does he?

Keep the food and water bowls as they are. Don't move anything. I imagine he must feel comfortable with the present housing.

Does he like to be held? If so, that's how you can best enrich his like. If he is hands off, does he like music or does he like you to talk and sing to him?

Thanks for helping an older tiel. I have no idea how old my tiel is. The vet says he is a senior citizen.

rockybird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Is it a dowel perch or a branch perch? It can be hard for birds to balance on a perfectly round perch, especially older birds. I would try to replace the perch with a branch perch if so. Would he take to a rope perch or shelf perch? I agree that toys aren't a good idea if they scare him. I would play music for him, talk to him, sing to him, and hold him, if he likes it.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
This sounds crazy but someone i know put a blind tiel in a round cage so he could move around more comfortably.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My little blind tiel is on the floor all day, he has half a wing on one side so dosent fly either...knows where the food and water are,,,can't move them or he'll never find it. He sleeps on a wide flat perch and does well with that. As for toys, no, but he does find his paper and cardboard box to chew. That also is never moved. I hope your little guy adjusts OK.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I don't have any experience with cockatiels or disabled birds, but if your cockatiel falls sometimes, it might be a good idea to put down some soft blankets/towels with a lot of cushion to them on the bottom of the cage and then cover them with newspapers. Also, I second what the others have said about platform perches. If you can find a way to introduce them, I think your guy might have a little bit easier of a time perching.

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I like platform perches and favor natural wood perches rather than dowel perches. Over time, they can damage feet.

In case you don't already know, you can find natural wood perches from vendors here. I love the natural wood perches from TNT Toys and also from Things for Wings in Canada Things for Wings Canada's Online Bird Supply Store for Organic Parrot Food, Toys & Parts, Accessories

Other vendors here might have natural wood perches. Look at the Market message board on this site to see if anyone has natural wood perches and/or wood platform perches. I think Things For Wings has some platform, too.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Somehow I don't feel as if cockatiels in their teens are old birds... then again, maybe it's because I *think* my youngest tiel is 15 1/2 ears old? (well, her age is known! she'll be 16 in June!) And the other cockatiels are of unknown ages, but two are assumed to be older and one is over 19. (unknown by how many years - last owners picked him up at an animal shelter in '98)

I do wonder though if a bright light might help? Such as a full spectrum light? A light with 5,500 to 6,500 Kelvin and a CRI rating of at least 92 or higher? If he doesn't already have one?

Although, being a lutino, he might prefer dim light over bright light...

Have you had any luck with changing his diet?

Agree with platform perches!

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
Hi! Thank you for the responses.
Ian's situation before I got him was a neglectful one as far as I can tell (he was underweight, nails were severely under trimmed, fed seed diet, had very small cage). When we brought him home we moved him into a slightly larger cage (its still on the small side). He can climb well, I haven't heard or seen him fall. He does not spend time on the bottom of the cage, however I notice his grip is not as strong as my conure, Dawson's (roughly the same size).

He has two perches, both are the pedi/cement kind (like this: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41tS2hHt86L.jpg ) but he only uses one and not the other. I've been considering a platform perch, so I'll look into getting one. Im just afraid he won't use it because well, he can't...see and so doesn't explore the cage much. (He'll climb the cage to his food dishes and back). Hell also sit in his food bowls (yes in). He is on a pellet diet now - for a bird as blind as he is he somehow can see to eat all but they yellow Zupreems that are banana shaped.

He doesnt really like interaction because he can't see, but once you have him out and aren't moving around or touching him he will snuggle against my neck and sleep. If he sees ANYTHING he starts to hiss and snap at air. He can sing and whistles and whatnot; we'll try and play more music for him x)!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Ian is lucky to have you. You might want to try getting him some rope perches. As he's on older tiel, they tend to be softer on their feed. The cement perches might be a bit rough for him.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Hi! Thank you for the responses.
Ian's situation before I got him was a neglectful one as far as I can tell (he was underweight, nails were severely under trimmed, fed seed diet, had very small cage). When we brought him home we moved him into a slightly larger cage (its still on the small side). He can climb well, I haven't heard or seen him fall. He does not spend time on the bottom of the cage, however I notice his grip is not as strong as my conure, Dawson's (roughly the same size).

He has two perches, both are the pedi/cement kind (like this: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41tS2hHt86L.jpg ) but he only uses one and not the other. I've been considering a platform perch, so I'll look into getting one. Im just afraid he won't use it because well, he can't...see and so doesn't explore the cage much. (He'll climb the cage to his food dishes and back). Hell also sit in his food bowls (yes in). He is on a pellet diet now - for a bird as blind as he is he somehow can see to eat all but they yellow Zupreems that are banana shaped.

He doesnt really like interaction because he can't see, but once you have him out and aren't moving around or touching him he will snuggle against my neck and sleep. If he sees ANYTHING he starts to hiss and snap at air. He can sing and whistles and whatnot; we'll try and play more music for him x)!
Consider trying timothy grass mats as platform perches. You can ziptie them and they might have a more reassuring feel to them (if you know what I mean?). I've used them for Quakers that have splayed legs or fids with missing toes.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Platform perches would be a good addition and maybe some fleece at the bottom of the cage if you have not lowered everything to the bottom of his cage yet in case he falls. I would go for newspaper and maybe pages out of a phone book for him to chew on.

Klomonx

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Anastasia/Dorian
Im not sure what kind of platform perches to get - theres a few that are just wood, and ones that have a sandpaper like feel. Im afraid one would be too smooth and another would be too rough for his feet? Any ideas? @SandraK @metalstitcher

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Im not sure what kind of platform perches to get - theres a few that are just wood, and ones that have a sandpaper like feel. Im afraid one would be too smooth and another would be too rough for his feet? Any ideas? @SandraK @metalstitcher
Tweety Pie's has some platforms with beads embedded in them, maybe those would be good? I have the medium one and the small one for my parakeet, and he really likes them!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Check tweetypies & Oliver's Garden.

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
The ones from tweety pies are the ones I have and I have some from The Parrot Hotel as well for both of my birds and they love them as they are both older birds. I have to order some more for them. They are wanting to use them more and more and I can only move them so many places for them since they have flight cages. the texture is not going to be an issue for him it is smooth but with the pads on the bottom of his feet he will be able to grip with his toes and figure it out. If you are worried at first give him a few trial runs out side of the cage on a table and have him walk on them in a controlled environment to see how he likes it.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra