• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Proud new Lori owner looking for advice

Swiftswagger

Moving in
Real Name
Lauren
I am sorry if this is in an incorrect location or too long :ashamed1: (I am new here), I just want to give enough information for proper advice.

16265297_1991471804413674_5046291764321924970_n.jpg

I have recently become the proud owner of an 8 month old red chattering Lori, named Trico, she is quite the beautiful girl with a big personality! But I am having some anxieties/troubles with her. I don't want to do anything wrong and create a problem or make her unhappy in her new home.

The store that I went to specialized in exotic birds only, so I asked them what a good exposure bird would be for a beginner, as I have only ever had parakeets but wanted to move into larger birds. They directed me to several different birds, and she seemed to be the only bird that was interested in me as I was her. She got onto my hand, allowed me to pet her, she even danced and talked to me. When I put her down (after quite the effort as she did not want to leave my hand!) she followed me around the edge of her enclosure and tried flying up to me the rest of the time I was there. They were really surprised as she only does that with one other person that works at the store she really likes, so I took that as a good sign and got her.

There are several things I am concerned about, as I have not read anything like this in my research about larger birds.

She does not know 'step up' yet, and any methods I have read about do not work with Trico. She is glued to the sides or ceiling of her cage, so it is hard to even hold out my hand in a manner that she can step up onto. Even for a tasty treat, she might step one foot on for a second, but she either pulls away or bites (not hard, just a pinch). The couple times I have actually opened the cage without her taking to the walls and she was on a perch, I have got her to step up, but it is very rare and short lived.

Mostly because she either wants to go to the top of her cage (which she will make a mad dash for if the door opens up) or up my arm. I would not mind, except when she goes to the top of her cage she has every intention of staying there, I tried waiting to see if she was interested in 'step up' again for a treat for ten hours straight to no avail. When I do manage 'step up' either from her inner cage or top, she usually goes straight up my arm. Even if I try holding my arm at a certain angle to not create a straight route, she'll figure out a way. Jumping or climbing. Again, I would not mind this, I'm really flattered she likes being on my shoulder. It worries me because she has no intention of getting off just like with her cage. She gets very aggressive with my ear and glasses too, and I don't want her to think that is okay. If I try getting her to 'step up' from my shoulder that is when she has bitten her hardest, causing tiny bruises. The same happens if I try discouraging her from biting my glasses or ear, she gets quite upset.

I am unsure of how to curve this issue, as it is difficult to teach her to 'step up' properly, and I feel like she is just learning to bite by letting her go where she wants. Is it okay to block her from going up my arm with my other hand? I've heard of using honey to train 'step up' with a Lori because sometimes they are just stubborn, but is that really okay to use?

Another concern is that when I try playing with her using toys, she is searching out my fingers instead of the toys. I am trying to correct the issue by praising when she touches the toys only, putting tiny treats inside the toys with openings. She still manages to grab me once in a while or only wants to search for fingers, bites and grinds right between my thumb and pointer. I have no reaction to these bites. I've tried this with just touching a toy on the ground or holding it, she does it either way. Am I right to keep praising when she beaks the toys? Should I try blocking her bites with another toy in my other hand when she tries to go for my fingers?

The last thing I need advice on is that Trico hates inside her cage and being on any type of 'ground' surfaces. Arms/hand/shoulder are fine. Cage walls/ceiling/top are fine. The inner cage floor she refuses to touch, which means she is leaving nearly all her fallen food uneaten (which is a lot of it) and a lot of foot toys unused,which i know she likes because she plays with them and runs about all over her cage top. I have attempted playing with her on a couch, bed, table, floor. She will not touch the flat surfaces at all. Her whole cage at the store was ground with paper, no perches, was that a bad experience for her and now she is afraid? It would be better if she could play on other surfaces, the cage top is high for me and I can't interact well with her up there. Inside her cage she just doesn't want to do anything but sit and wait for me, she has tons of toys and foraging options she doesn't touch while I am at work. Just seems to eat her nectar and climb on the same two perches. Trying to put her back inside is a struggle. I hate to make her hate the cage even more. Would switching things around inside be a good idea? Putting honey on some of her foraging toys? I am truly unsure of what is creating her cage fear. I work a 9-5 job and a ten hour shift once a week, so I really want her to enjoy her time inside the cage during that one day especially. She is outside the cage 5 or 7 hours when I work my 9-5 shifts, and 3 hours when I work my ten. I am told this is okay, but I do not know, what could be creating her fear of the cage?

I am hoping someone can help me with Trico, I've read through tons of posts here and everyone seems very friendly and knowledgeable.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
If you just got her I'd lower my expectations. Just let her get settled in a new home & cage & person.
She needs to get comfortable with it all.
My guy very rarely goes on the cage floor either & I don;t mind as that's where the poop is & its cleaner.
Birds drop food & they don;t eat it all. just the way they are. I throw out enough food to feed another bird.

I'd give her time. Let her come to you when she is ready.
Maybe something inside the cage is scaring her?
Maybe try covering a corner for her to retreat is she feels the need & keep the cage simple.
Sometimes it takes them awhile to get used to new toys & they can be scared of them.

She is a beauty & it seems she did pick you but that was in her home. She now needs to get comfortable in a new home.

Swiftswagger

Moving in
Real Name
Lauren
I have had her nine days. Two with her just being inside the cage getting used to her surroundings, then five with being near the cage all day giving some treats and talking to/petting through the cage. The other two i tried interacting. Does she just need more time being in her cage without letting her out to get used to things?

firdy num num

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Eden
Hey Lauren,
Welcome to both you and Trico! :)
from what I've read, Trico is aware of what she likes and wants. Lorikeets are very interactive birds and are always occupying themselves with something. What type of toys does Trico have? It may be a good choice to switch to toys that she enjoys playing with, some toys like mind stimulating toys, natural toys and colourful ones are what Lorikeets are mainly interested in. Trico sounds like she enjoys being in high places, so I suggest purchasing a playgym where she is able to roam around and play. If her perches are low interior of her cage try putting them a bit higher, switch and experiment with her but do it slowly so it won't stress her out. It will take Trico a while to understand what is going on and to get to know your place, though just keep trying and be patient. Try to avoid forcing her from not doing things, it may slightly void her personal space therefore making her upset and moody. If she likes being inside her cage, leave her though interact with her numerous times whilst in there. Just try to occupy her with other things!

Treats are fine, but too much of it isn't very proficient. You may use honey, or fruit/veggies that she likes as an alternative but always monitor how much honey she eats. I know that Paris enjoys Papaya, Bok Choy and especially apple so once again, experiment with what she relishes.
Hope this helped, Trico is gorgeous!!

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
She is stunning. I haven't seen a red lori for a long time! I hope to see more of you and your bird and good luck on your journey! :goodluck:

Jennjenn

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jenn
I have had her nine days. Two with her just being inside the cage getting used to her surroundings, then five with being near the cage all day giving some treats and talking to/petting through the cage. The other two i tried interacting. Does she just need more time being in her cage without letting her out to get used to things?
You've only had her 9 days? You have to give her more time and patience for trusting you on the step ups. When you're at home, and it it's safe (no other animals, doors and windows closed, stove and fans off) keep her cage door open. Let her climb out on her own. And climb around and on top of her cage. And on her own time (at her own pace). She needs more time to feel more comfortable in her new surroundings.

It's best to teach her now (as soon as possible) to not climb up to your shoulders. To do this, you'll have to stop her every time she attempts to climb up by bringing your arm to a 90 degree angle or making her go onto your other hand every time she tries to climb up your shoulders.

Swiftswagger

Moving in
Real Name
Lauren
Hey Lauren,
Welcome to both you and Trico! :)
from what I've read, Trico is aware of what she likes and wants. Lorikeets are very interactive birds and are always occupying themselves with something. What type of toys does Trico have? It may be a good choice to switch to toys that she enjoys playing with, some toys like mind stimulating toys, natural toys and colourful ones are what Lorikeets are mainly interested in. Trico sounds like she enjoys being in high places, so I suggest purchasing a playgym where she is able to roam around and play. If her perches are low interior of her cage try putting them a bit higher, switch and experiment with her but do it slowly so it won't stress her out. It will take Trico a while to understand what is going on and to get to know your place, though just keep trying and be patient. Try to avoid forcing her from not doing things, it may slightly void her personal space therefore making her upset and moody. If she likes being inside her cage, leave her though interact with her numerous times whilst in there. Just try to occupy her with other things!

Treats are fine, but too much of it isn't very proficient. You may use honey, or fruit/veggies that she likes as an alternative but always monitor how much honey she eats. I know that Paris enjoys Papaya, Bok Choy and especially apple so once again, experiment with what she relishes.
Hope this helped, Trico is gorgeous!!
Thank you for the advise.

Trico has two different foraging toys, one that is filled with a little fruit/veg each day and the other a ball with crunchy paper inside. A foot toy, wooden rings, a couple different wooden shaped ones with beads in some corners. She has some metal bells she really likes too, that is the only toy i've seen her touch.

Her perches are mostly high, she really does like being high up. I think she's upside down walking on the ceiling 60% of the time, haha.

I do have a playgym for her, but right now I don't think she's comfortable going to it. I've brought her to it before, she just wants to stay on my hand. I even filled a dish on the gym with grapes (thats the treat she goes nuts for) and still nothing. She'll lick the perch a bit at first, but besides that she has no interest.

I was going to try setting her playgym next to her cage and letting her inspect it on her own, since she can climb down the sides to it. Would that be something that would help?

Swiftswagger

Moving in
Real Name
Lauren
You've only had her 9 days? You have to give her more time and patience for trusting you on the step ups. When you're at home, and it it's safe (no other animals, doors and windows closed, stove and fans off) keep her cage door open. Let her climb out on her own. And climb around and on top of her cage. And on her own time (at her own pace). She needs more time to feel more comfortable in her new surroundings.

It's best to teach her now (as soon as possible) to not climb up to your shoulders. To do this, you'll have to stop her every time she attempts to climb up by bringing your arm to a 90 degree angle or making her go onto your other hand every time she tries to climb up your shoulders.
I will definitely take things a lot slower with her. I'm used to having a lot smaller birds so this is different from other experiences that I've had. Thank you for the advise.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Welcome to the forum! Your bird is beautiful!

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
It sounds like much of her behavior is typical of a bird who is insecure or fearful. This is abnormal for a bird in a new home. It is great that she liked you at the store. I am sure that you can build on it but now everything else is different. Slow your pace, in fact let her set the pace.

I have a caique who was fine for like a year then one day she started acting like your lorie. I spent awhile trying to interact with her in the ways I was used to and i feel like it reinforced her behavior and made it more set. I wish I had backed off and slowed down.

Some things that have worked with her are just to interact with her at her own pace. She loves to get treats from me while she is in her cage. She knows how to target so I can let her out and she will climb out and fly to wherever and when I am ready I can (with a little patience) lure her back to her cage all without touching her. I have also worked with her to get her used to a towel and so I can cover my hand with the towel or my sleeve and she will sometimes step up there. Recently, I have been trying to work with her and get her to come down from high places and sit lower down. Food is what works with her.

The good news that you girl is new and will likely change a lot on her own as she settles in. Does she seem comfortable and relaxed when you are near her cage? Try and figure out where she is most comfortable and what things she likes. If she tenses up, flattens her feathers, retreats or runs away then back off and return to doing what she was comfortable with. Never corner her. Always allow her an escape route so that she can choose to come or go. Notice her little signals and try not to do things that she follows up with a bite. My birds are very interactive with their beaks and will always try to gently push my hand away or gently grasp my fingers with their beaks and move my hand when they don't like it. As long as I cooperate with this it doesn't lead to a bite. If I don't respect it I will be sorry. But the worst part is if they find out that biting results in what they want, you going away, they will eventually skip all the gentle forms of communication and go straight for the bite. That is much more difficult to change once that happens.

You can use your hand to block her going up your shoulder if you must but a better way would to lure her back to your hand or to get down low next to another place where she can step up to that place. The luring to the hand and training them to walk back to your hand for a treat which will get them off your shoulder takes some time to teach but getting them to step off to a higher more preferred place works right away. Targeting also works. The key is to set things up so they choose to move rather than trying to force them.

I hope this helps :)

evie

Moving in
I have a rainbow Lori, had her now for 4 months, took her 2 weeks to properly settle in, we had her from 8 weeks and it took 2 weeks of talking and playing with her inside the cage to willingly leap onto our hands. She used to bite ears and necks whilst on shoulder but every time she did it we blocked her, said no and we put her down in the floor, she soon realised shoulder privileges are earnt with good behaviour and not nipping. They are wonderful hilarious birds and proper clowns, mines like a dog, loves balls and plays fetch! She loves new toys and we rotate them so she doesn't get bored. Recently she's learnt wolf whistles too. Hand feeding her so she trusts you is good too I found. Mine is truly barmy and also likes a fight, she rolls onto her back and wrestles