• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Burns or bumblefoot?

Sprite.birb

Sitting on the front steps
Would a rope perch be a good idea for the long perch? I could immediately switch to one of those at least until I find a natural one the right size

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
A rope offers a little more variance than a dowel. Worth a try.

Sprite.birb

Petco had a new shipment so there were more diameters of perches to choose from than usual. I bought many but only switched out a couple for now so that Sprite doesn't get too freaked out (he's highly offended in this pic). He's choosing a new rope at the moment. I'm sure I'll have to move things around after I see where the poos land and how he gets about. I got one good 24" perch that is a great diameter but I will need my boyfriend to cut some notches in it when he gets home from work. I'm not sure if I like the narrowest dark one in the middle back left. There is no bark so I fear it could be slick and it gets very narrow but it has a lot of diameter variation so I thought I would try it. What do you think? Too narrow?
IMG_0767.JPG

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
OMG! He is just too cute! I totally understand why people love these parrots! I sent an email to one of my suppliers to see if she had anything in the dimensions that you need. I will let you know what she says.

Sprite.birb

OMG! He is just too cute! I totally understand why people love these parrots! I sent an email to one of my suppliers to see if she had anything in the dimensions that you need. I will let you know what she says.

Thank you! I agree, they have so much personality! And thank you for checking for me, keep me posted :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Thank you! I agree, they have so much personality! And thank you for checking for me, keep me posted :)
I would PM you this information but you couldn't PM me back until you have 20 posts, so I'll just post it here! I heard back from one of my suppliers. She's on vacation right now but said that she can probably make something out of Apple or Mulberry. She said that those are harder woods that wouldn't break as easily. She was curious as to what your bird weighs and would you want hardware to connect it on each side of the cage or would you just like it slotted?

Sprite.birb

I would PM you this information but you couldn't PM me back until you have 20 posts, so I'll just post it here! I heard back from one of my suppliers. She's on vacation right now but said that she can probably make something out of Apple or Mulberry. She said that those are harder woods that wouldn't break as easily. She was curious as to what your bird weighs and would you want hardware to connect it on each side of the cage or would you just like it slotted?
Thank you so so much for getting that info but for now I think I'm going to stick with the rope perch for him to run across, I noticed he has much better traction on that then I think he would with another wood.

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Found these as well - Discounted Bird Perch

Sounds like he's liking the rope perch but don't discount the value of natural wood. I would still consider offering at least one natural perch option. How are his feet doing?

Sprite.birb

Found these as well - Discounted Bird Perch

Sounds like he's liking the rope perch but don't discount the value of natural wood. I would still consider offering at least one natural perch option. How are his feet doing?
I agree. For now it's all short branches and cotton ropes. I'll add in the longer branches I bought once he adjusts to the newest changes. He really hates the grapewood perch I bought.

Thanks for asking, one foot looks better than it had been and the other looks about the same if not better? I am going to try to take another pic of them soon because it's getting hard to remember how it has looked day to day and I get paranoid that it looks worse. I'll post a pic if he's patient enough for it tonight

Sprite.birb

I couldn't get a single picture of both feet but I was able to get a picture of each individual foot. He's loosing patience for all of this foot inspection stuff ;) the left foot is the banded foot and it as the one that starting looking worse before I took the heated perch away. IMG_5973.JPG IMG_5980.JPG

Cleo&Kiko

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Allisha
I was just skimming along the threads, and saw this. I have 36 chickens at home, and have never dealt with bumblefoot, but know very well what it is. I can't tell so much from the pictures, but does the irritated areas look like a sac? Bumblefoot is an infection of the feet that produces a sometimes hard pus sac. Oftentimes there is a scab in the middle, and it is normally black. If it just looks tender and pink, then it isn't bumblefoot. ^^

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
To me those pictures look like the start of bumblefoot like my tiel had, but it should get better with all soft surfaces.

Sprite.birb

I was just skimming along the threads, and saw this. I have 36 chickens at home, and have never dealt with bumblefoot, but know very well what it is. I can't tell so much from the pictures, but does the irritated areas look like a sac? Bumblefoot is an infection of the feet that produces a sometimes hard pus sac. Oftentimes there is a scab in the middle, and it is normally black. If it just looks tender and pink, then it isn't bumblefoot. ^^
Nope, no sac! Just irritation and a couple little spots that are red. I would immediately bring him into the vet if I saw or suspected an infection but I've caught before we got there thankfully.

Sprite.birb

A little update on Sprite's feet... today I finally see a noticeable improvement. The pink spots are obviously still there but the dark red has lightened considerably! hopefully it doesn't revert again as it did previously. IMG_6006.JPG
IMG_6004.JPG

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad it seems to be going away. Those are great photos, so cute!

Sprite.birb

Hi guys! In case anyone is reading this for advice on a similar situation...

Update: Sprite's feet are back to healthy and normal!! I'm so happy. I was able to find a previous picture of his feet that place the bumble incident to being around the time that he started to heavily use the heated perch. I noticed that once he decided the heated perch wasn't a bird eating monster he spent most of his time on that one perch. He didn't use all of his cage like he normally does. For this reason, the heated perch did not work for us and I will not use it again.

Sprite and I thank everyone for their great advice! He loves his natural branch perches now :)

IMG_4653.JPG

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yay, I'm so glad his feet are all better! I love that last picture, Sprite is adorable!:heart:

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
So glad he's better! You can try a heat panel instead or give the heated perch another shot but just wrap it with something 1st and don't put it as the highest perch in the cage since that's where they usually like to chill.

Sprite.birb

So glad he's better! You can try a heat panel instead or give the heated perch another shot but just wrap it with something 1st and don't put it as the highest perch in the cage since that's where they usually like to chill.
I was thinking about placing it lower in the cage but I don't know if it's worth it if it was hurting his feet. Now I'm a little afraid of it! Ha. I always had it thickly wrapped with vet wrap because I thought it was too slippery but your fleece idea might be more effective. I may get a heating panel next year, but we've just been keeping it nice and warm for him in the house. The weather finally got out of the negatives so the heater is doing its job well! Yay :)