• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

My sweet Monty-zuma!

Callie&Sherman

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Callie
Hey guys!
Monty is settling in as my best buddy! The scarlet in him still gets a little pinchy at times, lol, and I consider that great improvement!
A few questions:
1. We finally got his weight up a bit, but only by a generous daily helping of almonds and walnuts, plus all the fruit and veggies he will eat. Too much? Bad longterm? He regurges all the time without actually spitting anything out. I worry he doesn't get all the good out of what he does eat bc of this.
2. As for Monty and Sherman (military so a def size difference) meeting, when? How? Should it even be attempted? Monty seems excited about Sherm, and Shermy seems afraid of Monty.
Thanks guys! Here's the sweetie smiling for scritchies!

Attachments

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
What is he? Looks kinda GW to me, with a maybe slightly scarlet beak?

What's a generous helping of nuts? What kind of fruits and veggies? Does he get any pellets? If he is regurgitating and then swallowing it, he is still eating it. ;)

Have they met each other from afar? Do they have stands near each other but not close enough to touch?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Is he a ruby?

Ditto what @Macawnutz posted. More info, please.

Callie&Sherman

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Callie
Thank you guys in advance so much for any advice! He eats zupreem pellets with a handful (1/8th cup maybe) of almonds and walnuts at breakfast, and maybe 5 pistachios throughout the day as treats. Then veggies and fruit for lunch and dinner, but the pellets are accessible all day.
He is a Ruby, good eye! I hold Monty near the military quite often, he usually regurgitates and says "hey buddy!", while sherm kind of freezes but reaches tentatively with beak. Both cute! They both like to climb down from their trees so I haven't tried the tree thing. Should I?

Macaw Lover

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Renee'
Great to see you are feeding fruits and veggies but make sure it is heavier on the veggie side and just a little on the fruit side. Fruits have natural sugars and you don't want a lot in their diets.

When I brought Kalea home and it was time for personal introduction, I placed one on the ring stand while I sat on a chair with the other on me so they could see each other then I took the one from the stand, I think it was Kalea that was on the stand, and I had one on one side of my body and the other on the other side. Jody was not interested in becoming friends with Kalea and Jody would strike with her beak at Kalea if she got too close. Even to this day, Jody does not want to be friends and Kalea learned to stay far enough away when they were both on me.

When Donovan came, I did the same routine with Donovan striking hard with his beak at me or Kalea and so poor Kalea has never had a friend to play with but it seems those two have worked things out as I can have them both on me.

Seeing that Sherman has been with you first, I would have him on my lap talking to him, explaining that Money is going to come over and the two of them can be friends, etc. If you can ask someone else to take Monty off the stand and bring him over to you and set him down on the arm of the chair then talk to both. They probably will beak at each other which would be normal but if it starts getting rough break it up by just standing up and taking Sherman with you. Also be prepared if you must, by physically putting your body between the two which is why you want Monty on the arm of a chair, where you can turn your body and put the trunk of your body between them if you have to.

Last edited:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm curious about his regurgitating every time he eats. That would worry me a little. Has he been to the vet for a well bird checkup? He may have a little nagging fungal or bacterial infection that's keeping him from gaining weight. How does his poop look?

With Hank and Jasper I put them in cages next to each other for a couple of months and took them out separately. Then I would put them both out on perches close to each other for a few weeks. Finally, I put the perches right next to each other and they got next to each other. It went pretty well, except that Jasper was mean to Hank now and then and I would have to break them up. It really went easy and smoothly.

Callie&Sherman

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Callie
Thank you. I don't mind if I get bitten up, but I have nightmares of someone losing an eye or something bc I wasn't quite fast enough.
Your plan seems good!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Right now you should be putting a lot of your focus on learning their body language. Discovering their body language when they are going to bite. Not minding getting a bite will lead to biting birds. The objective is to avoid every bite that you possibly can. Successful bites are self-perpetuating.

Callie&Sherman

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Callie
Hankmacaw, he usually only does it with me, but often he is not even out of his cage yet in the morning when the regurgitating starts. I say goodmorning and it starts. I do try to discourage politely. The vet says he seems perfectly healthy, and his poop is normally formed and green!
Good advice on bites. Thank you!

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
How old is he? I'm with @Hankmacaw : that's a lot of regurgitating.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I would want a vet check from an avian vet with blood work, etc.