• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

boy vs girl conure

fauxbird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Suzanne Handel
ok i know this has been asked a million times and i do understand each bird is an indavidual,i put down a deposit on a hand fed crimson bellied male now the breeder told me she finds females to be more affectionate,now truth be told thats not really an issue to me just wondered what others opinions on this is?

WendyN

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Wendy
:bump4:

truste

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shirley
One thing that many people who own both seem to point out is that males are more vocal, which extends to both talking and screaming. My male conure definitely screams louder and more often than my female; he also talks much more often and knows more words. He's hand shy, while she doesn't mind hands one bit, though I'm pretty sure that's much more to do with upbringing and individual personality than sex. I wouldn't say one is kore affectionate than the other, though.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Crimson bellies are a bit different than GCC's.
I originally wanted a female as I was under the impression they were more calmer & easier to handle.
Really don't think there are much difference in the sexes. Has to do more with the personality of the bird.
Each is just different.

The breeder should be the best one to describe the personalities as they are now. They will change as they mature.
Some birds are naturally more outgoing & some more laid back.
Best thing is to meet the bird & just take it from there.

I guess males can get hormonal & a bit dangerous if they are too size but these birds are not huge or seriously maiming.

I wanted a baby or young one too but that did not happen. I got a older 1 1/2 yo male or so he is supposed to be as I don;t have a certificate.

Had him since 11/2014 & he's been pretty stable & has not changed much in 2 years though he is a bit more nippy now.

He is not vocal & he is not loud at all. Very quiet bird & that's the thing I love most about him as I am sensitive.

Crimsons are just about my favorite bird for there compact size, beauty & mine is quiet.

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I think individual personality matters more than gender. That said, with the GCC's, females do tend to be a little more calm and cuddly, the males a little more nippy, hyper, and playful. The same likely holds true for crimson bellies but they are just not as common.
I remember when I got my GCC, at that time everything said males and females were the same - probably because they were less common then, and a fairly large percentage of owners didn't actually know their bird's sex. I would see people saying their GCC was so hyper it made their other birds nervous, or that it liked to lie on its back and wrestle fingers, and I wondered why mine was so different in personality - well those hyper ones were probably males. My Cheeky did wrestle with toys on her back a little as a baby, but outgrew it quickly.

Mitzi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle "Mitzi"
My male is more vocal but much sweeter. My female is quieter but very nippy, makes me bleed every day!

truste

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Shirley
Oh yeah I forgot to mention that my male GCC is MUCH more territorial/aggressive than my female. Not towards me or my BF, but to those he doesn't know well. I'd say he's calmer than my female otherwise. She's such a curious little brat. :wtf:

fauxbird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Suzanne Handel
well since the breeder is three hours away I'm not getting the chance for the bird to pick me and she only had one female three males female sold middle male so only two males left,so i went by hatch date 11/28/16/band number 511 oldest male,hubby and i were married 11/16/96 funny thing to because she was like glad you picked when you did because some else wanted to send a deposit for the youngest male,so the way i see it the oldest male was meant to be mine ^_^ and yes i will be traveling to pick him up if all goes well feb 18th i say that because I'm NY she's PA so have to wait the weather out.

Josie696966996

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Josie
i'm leaning towards a male, i understand that it depends on personality but which gender seems the best and most friendliest?

Kodigirl210

I have 2-female GCC. They are night and day. Isen is very stately, composed and quiet. Pippin is constantly muttering, running around like a crazy person and flipping on her back to fight. She acts like the edge of the cage is a spring board and will often leap from there about 2’ to the next set of toys. They were both DNA sexed but I’m beginning to have doubts and am thinking about re-sexing Pippin. The breeder says that in general males are more relaxed and females wound a little more tightly. If they are I haven’t seen evidence of it so, hate to say it, but it’s the truth. It really depends on the bird. :shrug3: