• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Brown headed parrot?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
We are most interested in the outcome but do understand being busy. I hope you take this little one.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
And that is African Brown headed. They are like Meyers.
Do a search on this forum, I have answer a lot of Q of them in the Poi section.
Or ask me what you want to know. They are IMO the sweetest Poi. They are not rare, but not common because of their plain colors.

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
And that is African Brown headed. They are like Meyers.
Do a search on this forum, I have answer a lot of Q of them in the Poi section.
Or ask me what you want to know. They are IMO the sweetest Poi. They are not rare, but not common because of their plain colors.
My main questions are how is their temperament generally speaking? And are they normally bird aggressive like senegals can be?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Says browns are the most calm of the pois but pois do lean toward bird agressiveness but I guess its also different with each individual bird.
Does anyone know how this bird is around other birds?

No matter what bird you get you can never really even know if the same species bird will get along with your bird.
Depends on the individual bird. It's just not something you can ever be sure of before you get another bird.
Maybe foster & see if it works out?

Birds don't like to share there favorite person with another person or a another bird so its just something that goes with owning multiple birds. You have to try to keep everyone safe & feeling loved.

Last edited:

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
My main questions are how is their temperament generally speaking? And are they normally bird aggressive like senegals can be?
First I will say that they are individual, but you do know that.
But NO, they are absolute NOT aggressive, just like Meyers isn't either.
I will say that they are perfect parrots, they can play on their own, but they also love to hang out with you and doing tricks, and they are excellent fliers.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
She looks very adorable! You should get her, i dont think you will regret!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:omg: Meyers bite like pitbulls.
@gibsongrrrl has 2 & Beeper bit Weebles foot off. So they can be aggressive.

Have to meet the bird & figure it out from there.

alshgs

Avenue Veteran
The biggest deal to me is the aggression. Tuki and Diego get along very well, with some tail pulling here and there. I can deal with the biting when it comes to me, Diego had drawn blood many times. But neither of them are one person birds, nor do they want to be on me at all times. I'm supposed to talk to her today to find out more. But I feel like aggression isn't an issue with this guy simply because he's already missing his toes (we don't know what happened with that) my biggest issue will always be if he flies to my birds and tries to attack them. Diego and Tuki are out of their cages 75% of the day, and they never go anywhere unless it's flying on to my head. They entertain themselves very well. If we are able, we will try to go and meet him, but the next two weekends are swamped for us. I think the biggest thing though comes down to "am I ready?" I've gone over everything in my head, and we aren't rushing to go bring him home. But a huge part of my heart wants another crimson belly, and I'm not sure if I want to bring this guy into my home when my heart is not set on him. Things are really confusing for me right now.

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha

It really depends on each bird. I have the sweetest Senegal, gets along with anyone and her brother is totally the opposite. I have one Meyer's that is bird aggressive with all and one Meyer's that only displays aggression towards the other Meyer's (but not my other birds). I have a male Red-bellied that is quite sweet with anyone and his sister wants nothing more than to hurt my Senegal.

And I would say with all species you can see this as well; it is really down to each bird's individual traits. Also, to clear out any misconception, any of the Pois has the ability to deliver an impactful bite. Their beaks are very similar; I wouldn't try to rank that. And whether one sub species will do it more than another, I don't think that can be ranked either. Individual personalities and how birds were raised will have a much larger impact in my own opinion. The birds I have had from earlier on seem less aggressive than those I got when they were older and more set in their ways. Maybe I influenced it a little, maybe not. But I do think I had quite a bit to do with my Senegal being well socialized with other birds and people (other than Léa, she's the only Poi I've had from her baby stage).

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2: you may need more time.
I really love crimsons too but you just have to remember that another one may not be like
Rio but if you want a crimson then maybe you should wait.
This one may be sweet n help fill the void. Could be that next special bird but you would need to meet. Is there anyone else interested? If you cant see him 2 wks it gives you time to think.
Seems there is allot going on now n maybe not the best time for a new bird.
Theres always the chance that it could be a danger to your birds n need seperate out time. I would voice my concerns to the rescue n they can try to observe how it reacts to other birds.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You can't really predict whether or not a bird will be aggressive with other birds. Even birds that have gotten along well for many years can turn aggressive towards one another. I've had that happen with red-bellies who were clutchmates and then caged together.

My red-bellies may or may not bother other birds. I've not seen them fly over to any others that might be out at and bug them although if others are caged and the r-bs are out they might jump on the cage and bug the other bird or play with their toys through the bars. My Senegal does not bug any of the other birds. He is mellow and does his own thing.

As for toenails missing, that could have happened when he was still in the nest with mom or dad removing them or it could have been congenital. It could have happened when he was older and got into it with another bird, got injured and the nail was damaged and fell off.

Hopefully you can visit the little guy and see if there is any connection.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
First I will say that they are individual, but you do know that.
But NO, they are absolute NOT aggressive, just like Meyers isn't either.
I will say that they are perfect parrots, they can play on their own, but they also love to hang out with you and doing tricks, and they are excellent fliers.
I think perhaps that I misunderstood you. You mean aggressive to other birds, not to humans?
My answer was to humans, to other birds really depends and have nothing to do with species at all IMO.

My Brown headed was the sweetest to humans, but hated all other birds just because she was raised on her own only with humans. (and was hand feed) All other birds was intruders.
My Meyer accepted all other birds just because he was parent raised and lived with them for 1½ year like a flock. He liked people but doesn't loved them. He was to much bird for that.

Last edited:

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Mine are meyers. They are both extremely bird aggressive. Neither are people aggressive at all. Beeper won't bite anyone, Weeble is more of a one person bird, but has only bitten people when I first got her and her wings were trimmed and she was asked to step up and didn't want to. She just flies back to me if I pass her off to someone and she doesn't want to hang with them. Don't know much about the brown heads at all, unfortunately.

jujube1209

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Julie
I had a little brownhead named Gretchen. I lost her about 10 years ago due to what the vet figured was congestive heart failure. She was only about 5 years old. I've got experience with Jardine's and a couple different conures, and Gretchen was just a sweet girl. She was mostly quiet, had a super adorable grumbly voice, had the prettiest whistle, and the most gorgeous yellow feathers under her wings. She was caged with my maroon bellied conure for a while, and they did well together. I think she could have been caged with any of my birds at the time, but the conure on the other hand, would've seriously injured another bird. One thing about her, as I have noticed with my dad's Jardine's, is that she had pretty bad night frights, and they got kind of violent with her frequently breaking blood feathers. I enjoyed her... I would have another if presented the option, but I can't say that I have ever seen another one in person.